Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know I posted a fish report a few weeks ago that caused a little drama. I know most of you would say that half of this site is drama, but this was different.
I did something illegal and now I'm paying for it. While out on the river I used my sling shot to take a bird out of season. At the time I wasn't thinking about the consequences, nor did I think this was any kind of protected bird. I was just having a little fun, and it backfired, bad.
This morning I was greeted at my door by the G&F Dept, and was written two citations for my acts, and now have to go to court later this month to see what the damages are. Luckly they were two very nice and professional Officers that said it could of been worse if they didn't get a hold of it first. I sincerly thank you two for being so nice to my kids and I.
I love the out doors and am a fisher and hunter and would hate to mess that up for myself and others by doing stupid things without thinking. This will definitely be a story I will be sharing with my kids when their old enough to understand. Plus mama said that when she gets home that I'm gonna get it.
Please share this story with your young ones, and tell them not to be like this Knuckle Head.

My sincerest apologies

Josh

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As a kid growing up in Tucson we shot anything that moved. Surprised we all aren't serial killers. I am teaching my grandson to only shoot what he can eat and to obey the laws. If G&F busted you from reading the site then fair enough. If someone turned you in they are no better than the Hitler Youth. Real men would have written you a PM and chewed your ass then told you to take the picture down. I sure hope we don't have ratty little fudegepackers on here. Good luck with the judge.[/quote]

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I doubt anybody specifically turned you in. AZGFD guys read these forums. I know they read mine because I get e-mails every once in a while about things posted on them.

On the flip side. Instead of making excuses and whining about getting cited you came right over here and manned up publicly. That has to say something good about you.
Thanks Bob, and the rest of you. I was thinking I would get bashed pretty hard by somebody, but you guys are pretty cool about it. Kinda makes me think it won't be so bad, but you never know. I will definately let you guys know how it goes in two weeks, and if I will have any gas money left for the boat.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I remember this post… Man, that sux, especially with the kids there… They did not realize what was going on?

Did they give you any indication of the “evidence” they had? Like others have said, so you had a picture of the bird; and said you shot it. “At times we all inflate stories a bit just to look cool”. (How do we know any of you caught those hawgs in your pics…)I don’t know the burden of proof for this court, so you may not need to see the shots fired in the sense; or even proof of anything other than what you “said” online. I guess they would also have to prove it was you who posted it? At the same time, I have to believe they have heard all the BS stories before and you may get out much cheaper/easier if you fess up… Again, hard to even consider unless you know the evidence they have…

Either way; pretty cool that you are recognizing this as a mistake and taking responsibility the way you are… There was a post the other day by one of the kids talking about being a man, and I think you are setting the example here. We all do make mistakes and it is the way you learn from them. In the end, even in court, there has to be something said for taking the same approach and showing them you understand it was “hair brained” and you weren’t thinking at the time. Not like you took down an elk… But don’t take my advice; I would hate to see it backfire. :OOPS::hitsfan:

I did not read all the way through, but did see Del’s post of them taking the slingshot. Is this true, or did I just fall for a banana in the tailpipe??? Did they say how much it could cost? Guess I will read all the way though; so if you answered already, don’t bother.

Sorry to hear of your issues though… Really stinks to go through this, but going in there and showing them who you are should help. If you have done any special programs or such for wildlife, I’m sure it would not hurt to show them to judge as to prove you are good for the sport. Or just understanding that just by the visit of G&F, you learned your lesson…
I never lie about my fish pics. As far as the wrist rocket: Yes they took it and a pic of the bird that I printed for them. I have no problem admitting if I screwed up.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Well tomorrow is the big day. I've got to see the man at 1300hrs. To be honest, there hasn't been a day gone by in the last two weeks were I haven't thought about what will happen. I'm trying to prepair for the worst and hoping for the best. If I get fined it will hurt a little, but if I get my license taken away it's going to crush me. I could live with losing my hunting license, even though I got drawn for deer and pheasant, but if they take my fishing license for 5 years, the Ranger is going up for sale. Might as well let someone esle have fun with it.
I went out this morning in hopes of having a good day and maybe last on the water, but mama called and said to get my butt home cause the kids were sick and wern't going to day care. So that just adds to the bad karma that I've been having this month. Last week I got my pic taken by one of those speed cameras on Hwy 95. They have it set up on the south bound lane right next to the BP check point, so if you headed this way to fish Martinez you better be going slow through there. I was going 20 in a 25 and I saw it take my pic, so I called the Yuma DPS office and got the number of the Photo Inforcement hotline. I gave them a call and told them what happened and they said it probably was doing a test. So well see on that one.
Well thats me just venting a little. I really dont stress over anything, but this ones got me knotted up a little. I will post the damages tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Just be positive and tell the judge you had no idea you would actually hit the damn bird and you had no idea that the bird was some regulated species. You were just fishing and horsing around and someone on the website saw the photo you posted of your fish and the bird. Tell him if you knew it was a problem you would not have posted a photo. Tell him you are sorry for the whole mess and ask him to consider the situation. I hope the judge grew up like most of us horsing around and plinking whatever bird with our BB guns. I would not deny anything because you can bet someone with G&F will have the photo and you don't want to lie to the judge. Good luck and hope it turns out good for you.

Yeah, No I'm not going to lie. I'm just going to tell it like it happened, as well take that picture with me just to show that I did not kill it. And I can only hope he/she grew up with a Dasey BB gun too.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
NOT GOOD AT ALL!!!
Now I have to get an attorney, and go back in two months. Now I'm STRESSED.
The judge read my ticket and said it will be a big fine and months in jail. How do you plea? I said innocent, and he said come back in two months with an attorney, or represent myself. Whats weird about it is on the back of the ticket it show the fines for taking small game or aquatic wildlife is $50.00 and a possible loss of my license. I called the G&F office and asked about the MARBLED GOODWIT cause their is nothing on their site about it being a game bird. She looked up the bird on line and saw that the bird migrates down here and its protected by some kind of law. I don't know.
I'm good with that.. but the jail time means I loose my job.
I fell like this is just a money thing, but I'm not taking any chances.
This is going to be two long months.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
John & papdogg thanks for trying to help out with fees I really appreciate it.
I'm more worried about the jail time and the loss of my job. I am going to work my azz of this next two months to pay the fees.
And BPRescue I also looked this bird up and found the same thing (length 18to20 inches, wingspan 32 inches.
MINE
Human body Waist Rectangle Fawn Font

Webs
Water Bird Beak Fluid Body of water

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
young bird? they don't hatch out full size? not all migrants migrate, lots of local waterfowl around the area that have stopped migrating back north. Saw two small blue herons at pleasant a couple weeks ago, they look just like a full sized heron except minature.

good luck with your case, hope things work out for you
I don't know their were about 10 birds their and all were the same size.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Man I'm really sorry to hear this but Del and others brings up some good points! I would still go with an attorney or consultant to be on the safe side. Yeah you're going to spend some extra money but I'd rather be prepared. Good luck man. I would fish as much as possible over the next 2 months just in case. Good luck!
Your telling me! If it ended today with a fine, I was going to call in sick tomorrow and go fishing since I didn't get to go on tuesday. But now its nothing but working overtime. But I will still fish the rest of the tuesdays for the next two months (I'm gonna need it) stress relief.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.