Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is official I am moving to Ely Minnesota, I will be attending Vermillion Community College this spring. I am going to study wild life management and I might take a few taxidermy classes. I am taking my boat up and I was wondering if anyone knows of any good fishing spots in that area?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I will let you know I dont know where Ely is but my cousin wifes family lives in new prague and her uncle and cousin fish alot.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ely MN is an awsome town. I cant remember the names of the lakes, but all the ones close to town that I have fished were good. One of them is a rock mine that was filled in to make a lake, it has some huge smallies in it. I thought about workinig up there for the summer once at an outfitter but didnt end up doin it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yea Im shipping my wife up next week to visit the family its already cold! lol they ice fish to you can give that a try.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Dude, it's MN. Find some water, use the techniques you use to catch the few you do here, and you will SLAY them there. Only thing is, lunkers there are 5 and six lbers, at least as far a bass are concerned. And the skeetos are not that big, they are just highly abundant.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Good thing is they don't have a lake in the state thats deeper then 100' well except the great lakes up by the boundry waters................be a lot cheaper as you won't have to spool so much line on:icon_attnwhore: I still think there is something wrong with living in a place where in the winter it's colder outside then in your freezer.............Course you can save a few bucks on power just un plug em and open the door. :D:D

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Dude, looks like you will be just north of the boundry waters you have like 2,000 of the 10,000 lakes right next to you including Shagawa and miners lake and lake superior is just south and east...............Have fun with the smallies

·
Registered
746 Posts
Lake Vermillion is an awesome fishery. They have some big musky in that lake too which could be fun! Unfortunately a lot of boat and pleasure craft traffic.
Fished Elbow Lake a lot which is to the Northwest of Vermillion. Now Elbow Lake (near Cook, MN) is a lake to go to if you want to fish all day an possibly never hear another boat. Only one resort on the lake and 2 public access points. Very quite lake. Good for small - 3lbs small mouth. Never caught any larger then that size there. A few LMs, walleye, crappie, perch, and pike there too.
Just to the east of Elbow Lake is Winchester lake where the fish often die of old age. My dad caught a 6 1/2lbs (according to his scale) small mouth there about 15 years ago or so. You have to take an old logging road to get to it so be prepared for your boat to get pock marked with stone chips from the dirt road if you choose to try this lake out. Not a huge lake by any means and hard to get to so its hardly fished which = bigger/matured fish that haven't seen much impact.
Be prepared to get hits with almost every cast. MN is an awesome state for fishing and never getting skunked. Also be prepared for poor boat ramps and dirt roads or roads with a lot of pot holes. Have a good spare tire handy!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I've never been to the area, but I dare to say your less than 20 mins. from at least 5 different bodies of water. There's alot of fisherman in the midwest, but due to the amount of water, the pressure isn't like here. Some of the small bodies can be awesome, and bass aren't targeted as much. HELLO LILLYPADS, man I miss'em.

·
Registered
225 Posts
LOL, this is probably the first time an AZ fisherman questioned the quality of fishing in Minnesota. :IconrotflNormally it is the other way around with good reason.
Let’s just say that soon LM will drop in the ranks as your prime target and you will be realize greener pastures. Great field to get into and a pretty good state as well. Have fun and remember your question in a few years because you will chuckle…
As far as locations; look for bulletin boards and tackle shops; the locals will get you started.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have fished minnesota a lot every summer since i was born but i have never fished that far north. I would never question the quality haha i was just wondering what lakes are hot or if there is any were cool near by. I would fish minn over az any day! I normaly fish the St. croix river and gull lake and i love them both!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Ice fishing can be a terrific time, especially if you have a few friends with you.

We used to set up lawn chairs on the ice, have a fire pit on top of the ice which we use for cooking and to warm up occasionally. When the sun comes out you just soak it up. If fishing is hot you are chasing after the tip ups and when you get a 10 lb Northern or Musky at the end of your line and you pull on the line and there is no give and the line in your hands start stripping out, that's when the real fun starts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts