Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Leo's or Mesa Residents

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Bob La Londe 
#1 ·
True or false.A buddy of mines co-worker was cited for no proof of insurance.Had it,just didn't have current proof in possesion.Went to court,showed proof but was still fined 500 bones.This scares me,say it isn't so...............

#3 ·
nope, they changed the law. Now if you fail to have proof in your vehicle it's an instant $425 bones wether you actually have insurance or not. I just read it on a recent citation I received. Welcome to Arizona, where they change the laws whenever they please. THEY WANT YOUR DINERO!

#6 ·
Agreed.. Why would a person not carry an insurance card? I have one in my wallet and one in the glove compartment.. It's not that hard!

#7 · (Edited)
Agreed.. Why would a person not carry an insurance card? I have one in my wallet and one in the glove compartment.. It's not that hard!
You're right it's not that hard and everybody should be able to do it. But just like everything else that people should be doing, sometimes it gets over-looked. Should someone really be penalized $425 just for having an outdated insurance card when you actually do have current insurance? Does not carrying the current card change the fact that you have current insurance, which should really be the important issue with this? No it doesn't.

I agree that people should carry their insurance card but I'm not going to just jump on the "it's the law" or "it's not that hard" so you have nothing to complain about bandwagon. Personally I think $425 for an offense of that nature is completely ridiculous. As such I would say this is really just an effort to fill the coffers. Does fining people without current insurance cards really cuase more people to get insurance? Absolutely not. If you're driving without insurance then you have already decided your not interested in it. Just because you don't have your card on you or it's expired doesn't mean you are attempting to get around the system and drive without insurance.

#10 ·
the last year especially they are hammering on people who get tickets, it used to be if you didnt have your insurance or was late in getting your vehicle registered, or you forgot your licence they would let you slide if you showed the courts proof that you had it.
unless your mexican then you can get away with it. April got a ticket a while back cause I forgot to register the truck ( I think that was what it was for) there was about 4 other guys in court before her for the same thing. they all got off except april she had to pay the full fine LMAO. all of them were mexican in the glendale court she was ****ing pissed. not because she had to pay it but because the others got off for the same thing.
the guy right in front of her brought along his 3 kids to and they said no problem you have it now have a nice day.

Delw

#14 ·
not to many years ago when they started getting tough on auto insurance you had to send a copy of proof of insurance in when you registered the vehicle and then if you let it expire before registration they sent you a letter from MVD that your registration would be revoked.

$500 for forgetting you insurance card, (stupid), getting tough on people that don't have insurance is fine with me.

#16 ·
In this day n age, with computers, I'm surprised the cops can't tell if you're insured or not. Seems like they know just about everything else about you. However, it is your responsibility to show proof of insurance so, be responsible and keep in your car. I do think paying a fine when you show proof to a judge is bogus.

#18 ·
A.R.S 28-4135 A,B talks about a motor vehicle must be covered etc,etc. If the citation is for no proof of insurance and the defendant produces insurance to the court, the citation shall be dismissed. If the citation is for no insurance there is a minimun civil penalty of $500.

I call B/S that citation was for "no proof" but rather "no mandatory insurance".

#20 ·
I just got a ticket in Gilbert last month for this. To the person that says you should get fined 500 dollars for not carrying a card..... get a grip. People forget, distractions occur, and things come up. In my case, I couldn't figure out what happened other than when I went to switch the old with the new I ended up keeping the old one. Either that or I reprinted the old one instead of the new one. Anyways, I went to court with my proof of and the judge dismissed it. The cop even told me this would be the case. Unless there is a city by city law (which I find hard to believe) then your friend must have done something else to get the fine.

#22 ·
Unless there is a city by city law (which I find hard to believe) then your friend must have done something else to get the fine.
And even then a lawyer would probably get the fine thrown out based on the US District Court ruling against Clark County Nevada stating that a law must be "knowable."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.