Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this out.What do you think.good or bad

A new law has just been passed. As of Tuesday September 15, 2009, anyone behind the wheel of a powered watercraft must be licensed with a Pleasure Craft Operator Card (more simply known as a Boating License). The penalty for not complying starts at a $250 CDN fine.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have one of those. I had to write a test a few years back. It was basic boating rules and safety. All good stuff someone should know.

The reason why it came into being was there were numerous boating accidents and deaths (200 a year) as the result of poor boating habits.

It was a pain in the butt for responsible and already knowledgeable boaters, but hopefully it will save a few lives.

I know it is big brother sticking their nose into things, but think of it similar to a good gun training safety course.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Not a bad idea. Would be nice to have everybody following the rules. Then again a license doesn't mean they'll always follow the rules but at least they will be forced at one point (when taking the test) to know the rules. That might prevent a few accidents. Well worth it!

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Getting a license isnt gonna stop anything. There are wrecks everyday when driving vehicles and you have a license to drive so why would it be any different having a boating license? That's why it's called an accident. They happen and a license isn't going to make someone from making a bonehead move on the water or on the road.

·
Registered
746 Posts
a license isn't going to make someone from making a bonehead move on the water or on the road.
True but taking a class and knowing the rules might help prevent a few accidents from occuring.
We all had to take a driving test and some of us classes in order to drive a car. Imagine how bad it would be if we didn't do that.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Why is this a bad idea? I guess there shouldn't be driving tests either... Heaven forbid people are forced to learn the proper responsible way to navigate waters before they start flying around these little lakes endangering others.

·
Registered
746 Posts
bad idea
another way to get more money out of us
Yeah, you might be right there. I think AZG&F charges $12 for the class but if you have insurance on your boat and you've taken a boaters safety class I believe that in most cases you'll make that up in insurance savings. I've heard any where from $15-$40 savings per year from some of my customers.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Why is this a bad idea? I guess there shouldn't be driving tests either... Heaven forbid people are forced to learn the proper responsible way to navigate waters before they start flying around these little lakes endangering others.
+1

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have one of those. I had to write a test a few years back. It was basic boating rules and safety. All good stuff someone should know. I agree

The reason why it came into being was there were numerous boating accidents and deaths (200 a year) as the result of poor boating habits. Actually doesn't sound like that big of a number depending on boating population country wide.

It was a pain in the butt for responsible and already knowledgeable boaters, but hopefully it will save a few lives. I can already hear the argument that if it saves just one life it is worth it...

I know it is big brother sticking their nose into things, but think of it similar to a good gun training safety course. True & ok [/quote]

Not a bad idea. Not bad at all. Would be nice to have everybody following the rules. It will never happen. Then again a license doesn't mean they'll always follow the rules but at least they will be forced at one point (when taking the test) to know the rules. OK. That might prevent a few accidents. Maybe, is this where the "if it saves just one accident" argument comes in? Well worth it! Define well worth it with regards to more rules & regulations, dollars, time, and enforcement.
Getting a license isnt gonna stop anything. There are wrecks everyday when driving vehicles and you have a license to drive so why would it be any different having a boating license? That's why it's called an accident. They happen and a license isn't going to make someone from making a bonehead move on the water or on the road. hate to say it, but I tend to agree more with this philosophy. [/quote]

bad idea
another way to get more money out of us hate to say it, but I tend to agree with this philosophy too
Why is this a bad idea? I guess there shouldn't be driving tests either... Heaven forbid people are forced to learn the proper responsible way to navigate waters before they start flying around these little lakes endangering others. what next? licenses & classes for; skateboarding in public, bicycling on public roadways, how to put grocery carts in a safe place in a parking lot, parenting for nuisance kids, safe lawnmower operation etc...??? Where does it end?
Maybe at some point figuring out a system for sending those without common sense to Canada to get their boat license and only be able to boat there. After successful operation of watercraft in Canada over 3 years time without an accident or infraction, they can be allowed back here to try again.

If a rule like that was enforced, there may be fewer accidents and better informed boaters here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts