Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just courious..

What are Zoners using the Oxygenator Livewell system? If not, what are you using to keep your fish healthy including chemicals.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
ice and rejuvinade or catchn' release
I have lost one or two fish over the years but not many.
Rejuvinade and catchn' release both remove clohrine from water so I just empty half a bag of ice into each livewell and add a cap full to the tanks. Good to go!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Just Ice, I keep the pump running all the time. I don't use an oxygenator or any of that fancy stuff.I have never lost a LMB, guess I have been lucky.

The only problem is no matter how hard I try I always seem to lose 50 - 70% of Striped & White Bass when I put them in the well. I don't care, generally I am keeping them anyways. But I would sure like to know why I have no problems keeping Largemouth alive in the well, but lose so many Stripers.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Fred, I'm a firm believer in "please release me"

Anytime I have a weak or gut hooked fish... I do my surgery thing, pour some on the wound, hook some weight on the bottom fin of the fish to keep em from going belly up... Kept a lot of fish alive that way. Only had a few died because CHAD WITTY doesn't know how to preform surgery, detect bites, set the hook, unhook fish, use livewell, and fart down wind.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I understand the Catch & Release thing. And for all of us who fish tournaments, there is a catch & release rule. And in the AZ hot climate when the surface water gets hot there are a number of fish no matter how much ice & chemical you use, the odds are against the fish thus fish are being lost. If you have some sort of store bought or home made system that works that is great.

There are some great products out there no doubt. But when it is all said and done, the amount of oxygen content in the water is the key factor in keeping fish healthy. Cooler water does hold more oxygen but how much ice can you carry and keep frozen in on your boat in hot weather and when the water temp can reach 90 degrees in the livewell.

I am just asking what Zoners are using.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I use Ice and Please release me. I also take extra water bottels and fill them up with lake water, put them on ice and once nice a cold, dump it on the fish. I repeat that through out the day.

I like "please release me" a lot. I have seen fish bleeding from a gut hook and after 2 hours in well with "please release me", they are as good a new.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
At Barlett we had two frozen gallon water botttles, 20 pounds of ice to start in the livewell with no water till we stop at the first spot, 20 more pounds stored though out the boat, plus rejenvinate. No problems

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I just keep running the livewell and I have a 10 LB bag of ice in between the seats with my water. Never lost one yet and I don't use any chemicals. So far so good, and if you ask some of the guys, when I weigh in they are as lively as when I caught them.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
OK, I understand the Catch & Release thing. And for all of us who fish tournaments, there is a catch & release rule. And in the AZ hot climate when the surface water gets hot there are a number of fish no matter how much ice & chemical you use, the odds are against the fish thus fish are being lost. If you have some sort of store bought or home made system that works that is great.

There are some great products out there no doubt. But when it is all said and done, the amount of oxygen content in the water is the key factor in keeping fish healthy. Cooler water does hold more oxygen but how much ice can you carry and keep frozen in on your boat in hot weather and when the water temp can reach 90 degrees in the livewell.

I am just asking what Zoners are using.

I used to have a ton of aquariums when I was younger and lived with my roommates. We had many different species of fish in those tanks, Predatory, Aggressive, Tropicals, Oscars & Africans. The only thing I remember was to keep the pumps running all the time. It is the pumps that recirculate the water and put oxygen in during the recirc process especially if you have an aerator. I never used an oxygenator in my tanks so I don't use on in my well. I have NEVER lost a largemouth bass in my livewell. All I have ever done is run the pumps non stop, use lake water and keep it cool during the summer. During the Spring and the Fall I don't even use Ice. IMHO, I think the more chemicals you use the more you damage the fish.

Try to think of your livewell as a portable fish aquarium. If you have ever maintained an aquarium then you already know what to do. If not, get one and learn. It is not any more complicated than that. When you make your setup complicated that is when you lose fish IMHO.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Fred, I'm a firm believer in "please release me"

Anytime I have a weak or gut hooked fish... I do my surgery thing, pour some on the wound, hook some weight on the bottom fin of the fish to keep em from going belly up... Kept a lot of fish alive that way. Only had a few died because CHAD WITTY doesn't know how to preform surgery, detect bites, set the hook, unhook fish, use livewell, and fart down wind.
Freakin Funny!
I have heard that Please Release Me is the way to go to maintain the fish's slimecoat. What size weights do you use to keep them upright. I have never had to do it before, but would sure like that info if Iever need to in the future.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think Ti has been out in the heat to long..

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I bought a small chest freezer for 2 main reasons......green chile and making large ice blocks. I use a 3 gallon pale and make big hunks of ice and also metal banana bread pans for smaller, brick-sized chunks. The biger the block, the easier it is to keep frozen for extended periods of time. I installed temp transducers in my wells, so I can better tell when to flush with fresh water and add more ice.

In addition to keeping the water cool, fresh, and oxygenated, you need to get your fish in the water ASAP. If you gut hook a fish, do your best to work on it with its gills under water. If you use culling markers, sharpen them and poke through the lower jaw as close to the cartilage at the tip. Make sure the fish don't get tangled up and modify the tags if necessary. (I have a set of BPS stainless tags. These have a bead-chain covered with plastic tubing. My fish were constantly getting tangled and what I found was the tubing was a little shorter than the chain, allowing the chains to get tangled.....I shortened the chains up and the frequencey of tangled fish went way down. I also sharpened the clips to minimize the damage to the fish.) I think the clips with the colored rubber tubes are a better way to go over the ones with a float.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just freeze water in quart-size plastic bags and drop the whole thing in the well. Keeps the chlorine out of the water.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Oxengenators in the skeeter and ice and rejevinate and pumps on all the time in the Champion.
what Skeeter, the one you bought or the one you WON, and you're talkin about Gregs fish right? What do YOU use on the net handle so it doesn't slip out of your hands with your bad back and all?

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Really !!!!! Does Greg know that your talkin Chit about him? Well if not he will in about 3 minutes
Greg taping the net to my forearm is talking chit? Put the beer down and pick up your reading glasses. If your belly wasnt so big you could get closer to the screen!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts