Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I know there are some long range shooters on here. I have a 7mm Win mag and am going to get a new scope and wondered what some of your opinions are on the Vortex. I have been doing a lot of reading and realize it takes time at the range but my Leupold 3x9 just wont cut it. I am thinking about one of the 6x24 Vortex. Now I don't have 2,000 dollars or more to spend but am willing to spend 8-900.00. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't know about the Particular Vortex you are asking about, but I can say I am very happy with Vortex products I have 2 Diamondback Scopes and 2 Viper scopes, also a set of Diamondback Bino's. All are great glass. The Warranty on them can't be beat. Basically if you have the glass you have the warranty. Vortex is all I look at now when I need glass.

Edit: Also forgot to add...as nice as the warranty is, I have never had to use it all of them have been very dependable and rock solid.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Might go online and look at Mueller scopes, good optics at a good price.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Guys, I know there are some long range shooters on here. I have a 7mm Win mag and am going to get a new scope and wondered what some of your opinions are on the Vortex. I have been doing a lot of reading and realize it takes time at the range but my Leupold 3x9 just wont cut it. I am thinking about one of the 6x24 Vortex. Now I don't have 2,000 dollars or more to spend but am willing to spend 8-900.00. Any recommendations?
What do you consider long range? with a 7mm I am guessing 600 yards max maybe 800 and your using factory loads

best scope you can get would be a 3.5x-10 or a 4.5x14 for that gun for long range hunting. this will give the the availibilty to use it for close range as well
500m objective 30 mm tube (1" dia sucks).
anything above a 14x and your going to have mirage issues which takes time to get used to.

I would buy a leupold before I bought a vortex even a pentax or nikon. but what ever you decide that its in your price range will work. for what your doing with it. now if you want to pound targets all day and reload thats a different story.

Vortex is todays tasco.

dont knock tasco I have some of there 24x and 36x target scopes and they hold as good as a leupold click adjustment sucks glass is great, once you dial it in they never change zero.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
What do you consider long range? with a 7mm I am guessing 600 yards max maybe 800 and your using factory loads

best scope you can get would be a 3.5x-10 or a 4.5x14 for that gun for long range hunting. this will give the the availibilty to use it for close range as well
500m objective 30 mm tube (1" dia sucks).
anything above a 14x and your going to have mirage issues which takes time to get used to.

I would buy a leupold before I bought a vortex even a pentax or nikon. but what ever you decide that its in your price range will work. for what your doing with it. now if you want to pound targets all day and reload thats a different story.

Vortex is todays tasco.

dont knock tasco I have some of there 24x and 36x target scopes and they hold as good as a leupold click adjustment sucks glass is great, once you dial it in they never change zero.
You know I love you Delbert, but, ummmm, not!

Ill ring steel at 1000 yards all day with my 7mm rem mag.

And Vortex is Tasco?

Not even close sir. Vortex is hands down the best scope and warranty you can buy for the dollars. If you move into the HD's id put them equal to and in some cases better than Zeiss or Swaros regardless of price.

To the original OP.
Look at a Vortex Viper in 6x18 or 6x24. The HD's are great but probably more than you want to spend. Check Backpage, a few show up there.
For new glass, Midway USA and Optics Planet are hard to beat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Luepold, Nikon, or Zeiss has good stuff at a decent price point. My favorite scope still is the Monarch UCC's from about 10-15 years ago. Like them so much I have 4 of them. Guys sell them for $200-$250 today if you can find them. They are marked Japan on the bottom.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I shoot long range target, hunting etc...
I shoot mrk 4 leupold, nightforce, and on my 22 I shoot a 6-18 nikon.
the biggest issue in any scope, is if it returns to zero.
I've had 2 leupold that didnt, sent back and they fixed it/ replaced it.
I've talked to Lester bruno about different scopes and he said they have a new weaver scope that returns to zero and has great glass and for the money was Unbeatable,he was shooting one on his br 6 ppc one day and I looked through it, and was great for the money.vortex is ok but the glass isn't as clear edge to edge and the reticle sucks in my opinion, first focal planes are decent but then again your spending almost as much as a real scope.

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
I shoot long range target, hunting etc...
I shoot mrk 4 leupold, nightforce, and on my 22 I shoot a 6-18 nikon.
the biggest issue in any scope, is if it returns to zero.
I've had 2 leupold that didnt, sent back and they fixed it/ replaced it.
I've talked to Lester bruno about different scopes and he said they have a new weaver scope that returns to zero and has great glass and for the money was Unbeatable,he was shooting one on his br 6 ppc one day and I looked through it, and was great for the money.vortex is ok but the glass isn't as clear edge to edge and the reticle sucks in my opinion, first focal planes are decent but then again your spending almost as much as a real scope.
Listen to what this boofer says . he knows his shit when it comes to shooting.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Vortex has my vote. Have a diamondback on my .17 and a viper on my .308. Best warranty and price. Only thing I will say against them is the eye relief isn't as good as leupold.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I personally won't hunt with anything less than 20 power. check out brunos shooter supply by deer valley airport. They have alot of quality scopes at good prices you can look at and most of the reloading supplies you'll need.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Leupold is overrated impo I've had better luck with Nikon and better customer service with my Bushnell Elite series and prefer both scopes, and both are cheaper

·
Registered
277 Posts
+1 for champ & his life partner

If you want tracking & "keeping a zero" reliability step it up & save for a nightforce. Internal components are what keep that stuff together & thats the benefit of NF, US optics, etc... Theres more to long range hunting then magnification. Once you lose clear visibility of a few 100"+ coues right at dusk you'll realize the differences in scopes. If you hunt 1weekend a yr get a vortex. U can use it to pound your tent stakes in too. For your price range the leupold is were my money would go.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts

If you want tracking & "keeping a zero" reliability step it up & save for a nightforce. Internal components are what keep that stuff together. Theres more to long range hunting then magnification. Once you lose clear visibility at a few 100"+ coues right at dusk you'll realize the differences in scopes. If you hunt 1weekend a yr get a vortex. U can use it to pound your tent stakes in too. For your price range the leupold is were my money would go.
:Iconrotfl:Iconrotfl:Iconrotfl

·
Registered
524 Posts

If you want tracking & "keeping a zero" reliability step it up & save for a nightforce. Internal components are what keep that stuff together & thats the benefit of NF, US optics, etc... Theres more to long range hunting then magnification. Once you lose clear visibility of a few 100"+ coues right at dusk you'll realize the differences in scopes. If you hunt 1weekend a yr get a vortex. U can use it to pound your tent stakes in too. For your price range the leupold is were my money would go.
I know your not talking about me Lil sack.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts