Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Looking for a few moderately price BC reels.

3K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  ckremer 
#1 ·
I am looking for a few moderately price BC reels for my son and I.

2 of the rods I am putting them on are 6'6" MH and the other is a 7'6" flippin stick.

So I want to ask what reels out there are good quality for a good price, and what would be a good ratio to get for the above rods?

Thanks

#5 ·
I have a Shimano Curado and like it.
I have a few BPS Xps reels and like them.
I also have a few Quantum Energy reels and like them also.
So I say get what ever feels good in your hand.
Differant strokes for different folks.
I like the 6.2 gear ratio on most of my stuff, but have the 7.1 on my frog set-up, and one on one of my flippen sticks.

#11 ·
How old is your son? What techniques do you primarily intend to use the baitcasters for? A Shimano Citica is a very nice reel that can handle about anything he may want to throw depending on the line size. If he wants a left handed reel that may be easier to use if he is used to spinning then you may need to find a Shimano Curado or other quality reel as Citica's are not made in left hand.
Don't buy something that is not proven. The Revos are very good but depends on your budget. A good lure to use to teach the use of a baitcaster is a football head jig. Rig this on his 6'6" med heavy rod with 12 to 15lb test line and a good 1/2 ounce football head jig and double tail hula grub (Yamamoto 5" #208 WATERMELON RED FLAKE and start casting in short casts until more confidence is gained. Then let the jig fall to the bottom, check for a bite, if no bite then drag it a bit. Reel it in fast and cast again. Great way to learn even if it's somewhat windy. I would recommend a light weedguard on the jighead to avoid some snags and make his experience more enjoyable. Hope this help but always buy the best reel you can afford. I am biased to Shimano but there are many good brands out there.

#12 ·
I got a couple new reels off of eBay for good prices. I am happy with the Pflueger purist I just got and also I like the shimano Citica I just got also. But I got the Purist for 25 bux brand new including shipping on eBay. There are alota good deals if you look can probably get a new Quantum Code 860-870 model for 40-60 bux. Go look around on ebay for a bit and see if you find anything.

#15 ·
Shimano Curado 200E would be my first choice for casting, and Quantum Accurist AC570PT for pitching and flipping. (I can also lob a frog quite a ways on the AC570PT)

That being said, I have a fishing buddy who swears by the inexpensive Pinnacle reels he buys at Walmart. He puts about as many days on the water as I do, and he replaces them annually.

The Quantum AC500CX is not a bad flipping reel either and its cheaper than the PT, but they are getting harder to find.

#16 ·
Buy new

I sell reels at Bass Pro and in my honest opinion the BPS Pro Qualifier is the best reel for $99. It’s a 7 bearing, dual brake on a one piece aluminum frame with a swept handle. We sell a ton of them and haven’t had any problems, people love them. I would put a 6:1 on the 6’6” and a 7:1 on the 7’.

The Shimano Citica is a good reel and at $99, a good deal as well, as long as they are new.

Both reels have a one year warrantee but with the BPS reel, you just bring it back to the store. The Shimano has to be sent in. I definitely would NOT buy anything cheaper.

#18 ·
I have a question. My son and I retrieve our spinning reels with our lefts hands....Should I get reels that are left handed then? I did hear that a lot of anglers retrieve spinning with left but caster with their right is that normal?

When I try to imagine retrieving a BC with my right it seems like it would be akward...

What do you all say?

#20 ·
I personally am right handed but I was raised on left hand reals because you dont have to switch hands when casting/flipping and you have the power in you dominant hand. Im actually getting ready to order my new yearly set of rods and reels from quantum and will be selling a couple of my AccuristPTs. I got them a year ago and love them, just want to get some of the newer models

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.