Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at buying this boat,any opinions on it,good or bad?Thanks for the help!1982 Glassmate 21' Open Bow - $3500 (59th and Bell)
[email protected]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-08-09, 4:33PM MST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

same hull design as omega. 3.8 liter v6. omc outdrive. runs great
would also trade for a quad
any questions please give me a call
Bill
602-754-3491

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

·
Registered
225 Posts
For that money you can EASILY get into a mid 90’s boat; either bass type, tracker, runabout or fish and ski. I saw a few fish and ski models quickly looking… At the same time, I don’t know what your intent on the lake is…

This boat is highly limited for you and just made for cruising the lake. The hull design limits the type of waters you can hit as well, so anytime the wind picks up or you get on big water there is a concern. Fishing would prove tough and I could see a person growing bored with it almost immediately. That is of course if you are a young 20ish who just wants to party with the girls… It’s not even a fast boat; I am wondering what the call to something like this would be…

Either way, hard to tell without looking at it. I just know for that money you can find a newer boat with a newer motor on there. Obviously you need to look for rot, lower unit damage, engine damage/condition, etc…

My vote is hold out for something newer and be sure to look at multi use as you WILL get bored with driving around a lake. With the economy today, you can find some very good deals and I just can’t see how this is one of them…

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,thats my concern too.I do want to fish,but we were mostly tubing/skiing and the old ranger wasnt very comfy for skiing,but great for fishing.I was thinking of putting a trolling motor and bass chair in front of this boat,but not sure!Ive been searching for a month and Im having a hard time finding the right boat for the price!!If anyone see's something better for me,please let me know!Thanks!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I can see what you are looking at with this ride. Shallow hull, (much like a bass boat), fast motor, and it will most likely handle just like a bass boat as well. IMHO I don't think the year is important as long as the boat has been properly maintained. I had a 50hp motor on my old bass boat that sat for ten years untouched.When it became mine, I changed the impeller and the fuel pumps and it started and ran on the first turn of the key. Just make sure you do your homework and know what you're looking at. And BTW, Bass boats don't catch fish, fishermen do. Don't let the purists and the haters dissuade you.

My only concern would be that the thing will most likely have a real shallow floor or none at all (alot of early 80's model boats of this type just carpeted the bottom of the hull with no real floor to speak of or one with real small stringer support). That could pose a major problem when you want to add a bass seat or livewell. Also weight distribution is severly restricted on boats with drag race hulls. If you are unbalanced and you hit one good roller it's swim city.

My vote would be to go after one of the tons of early to mid nineties fish and skis that are available on craigslist. I have a 1992-93 4 Winns fish and ski. It can sit comfortably in 1.5 feet of water ( a test I have actually done by accident), I have a custom livewell I have added, It's 18 feet so it's big enough for my family of four. And has enough gear weight to handle four adults fishing comfortably all night long with beer and munchies. The kids love to go tubing and the wife likes to booze cruise, and I like to fish. This thing does it all. Since buying it I have built a front removeable fishing deck and all my electronics and trolling motor are removeable so my gear doesn't get in the way when we are out lake licing it up. I have also had to replace a ton of stuff like the starter, batteries, shift cables, wiring, and I just recently got it back from the shop where it got an engine rebuild (Thanks LU!).All of this has been done in the last year. So you want to make sure the motor and other systems are in good shape before buying. Just cuz the hull looks pretty don't mean it will actually run good.

IMO, Best Boat for the Money, a Fish and Ski, hands down. Especially if you have a family.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a 2008 fish and ski, so this model is a bit out of your price range. http://larsonboats.com/180series/180skifish/ What I can tell you is with my family it is great; I have the ability to use it for myself and them when necessary. It has the fishing seats; front/rear casting platforms,24V trolling motor, live well, fish finder, etc. So, I can set it up for fishing, or remove the seats and front deck (stored in the engine compartment) for your typical runabout/ski boat. It works well for both fishing and skiing/family activities. With the bow mounted trolling motor I can still get in those hard to reach places and navigate rather well. I have people with your typical runabout stopping me all the time asking where I got the mount for the trolling motor, so I know many people feel this limitation with the runabouts.

And in my case, I can do both fishing and skiing. I don’t have the crazy sportsman related storage and speed of a bass boat, but at 53MPH, and a little higher in the water. I don’t need to get there any quicker. And I have a lot of comforts the bass boats don’t have, inclusive of a perfect ski boat that will handle some fairly rough water…

But, you just cannot beat a bass boat; even a tracker for fishing… This setup does allow me to fish however with some semblance of legitimacy…

Here are a couple quick ones…

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/boa/1320333366.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/boa/1326204190.html

I cannot really comment on these until seeing them, but a few thousand goes a long way… If you save a little more and wait until winter, prices will come down and you will have a little extra cash for a nicer boat.

You may also want to open up yours search area if you are in a hurry. I actually got a screaming deal in cal of all places.

Also keep in mind if you are good with your hands you could get a diamond in the rough… You can transform many boats out there as to allow you to do the fish side of it as well… I just wanted something new…

Good luck…

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only problem Im having in finding a fish/ski in my price is that they are mostly tri-hulls and very old!Im sure there is some good ones,but I havent found any yet that I like the looks of.So my understanding is that this boat isnt good for ruff water?I know the ranger was great on it,but I dont want to go swimming for sure,hell I'd rather have a old tri-hull before that!!lol Like I said,if anyone has something for sale,under $3500 or finds something good,please let me know!Thanks again for your help!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you can wait do it. There will be plenty of deals coming around. People are giving stuff away. Get what you really want because god knows the second you buy that, your perfect boat will be listed on craigslist.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Bass boats don't catch fish, fishermen do. Don't let the purists and the haters dissuade you.

LOL; reminds me of when I was fishing a point (with family inside the boat) and a couple guys in a bass boat rolled up on me while I was nailing them. Can’t say I’ll ever forget because the guy in the bow said “ I’ve got the bass boat and you are catching the fish”. My first thought was to conjure up the very response you made, but I thought well of it and just said something about “it was either a multiuse boat for the family or no boat for me”… It did irritate a little as it was like a BMW vs. Mustang thing. Sure, I don’t have the style, but I can drive all the same roads baby… Not like I had some jet boat, or even just a runabout; this thing is setup to fish as well as it ski’s…

In truth, I just can’t see another boat until it is just the wife and myself. Bass boats kick ass, and I do have admiration, but for me it was equally as important to get the family out and not bore them all day, several times a month. This allows me to get them out there; let them learn the outdoors/enjoy and yet I can still fish every bit as much as I want. I can slowly acclimate and spend quality time with them and not call it selfish…. I say I won…

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL; reminds me of when I was fishing a point (with family inside the boat) and a couple guys in a bass boat rolled up on me while I was nailing them. Can’t say I’ll ever forget because the guy in the bow said “ I’ve got the bass boat and you are catching the fish”. My first thought was to conjure up the very response you made, but I thought well of it and just said something about “it was either a multiuse boat for the family or no boat for me”… It did irritate a little as it was like a BMW vs. Mustang thing. Sure, I don’t have the style, but I can drive all the same roads baby… Not like I had some jet boat, or even just a runabout; this thing is setup to fish as well as it ski’s…

In truth, I just can’t see another boat until it is just the wife and myself. Bass boats kick ass, and I do have admiration, but for me it was equally as important to get the family out and not bore them all day, several times a month. This allows me to get them out there; let them learn the outdoors/enjoy and yet I can still fish every bit as much as I want. I can slowly acclimate and spend quality time with them and not call it selfish…. I say I won…
I agree with you!!

·
Registered
957 Posts
From the pictures, it looks like a nice enough boat. The things worthy of considering on it is the motor/drive package. It is the older style OMC stringer type drive. This drive has a few traits that will cost more to repair than you can buy the boat for if the problem should come up. The intermediate shift cable by itself is over $300, the transom boot is over $100, changing the impeller is a bit more involved and the water pump sub-shaft splines are prone to stripping which also requires replacement of the upper drive shaft if that should happen (if it hasn't been redone yet, it's not a matter of if it will happen - it's a matter of when and due to age, most likely will be in a near future point.), tilt/trim system is more complex (more parts and problems), etc...

Not trying to be discouraging or negative, but a suggestion here - DO MAKE SURE TO HAVE SOMEONE CHECK IT OUT BEFORE YOU BUY IT.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok,thanks.Those are important things to consider!I do have a good boat guy,but he isnt real hip on this boat either,just by the age and make of it! He also said it wont be fun on ruff water.It does seem to be the best boat for the money,but Im really having doubts on it now with all the responses you all gave me.I wish a zoner had a boat in my price range!!!lol

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok thanks to trrosce(spelling) he found me this for a great price!!going to see it in an hour or 2!Thanks again.That glassmate open bow was sooooo ruff on the bottom of the boat,all patched up,not even rough sanded ect...So I passed.Lucky cause I like this boat better anyway.lol Here is the other boat we are going to see! PostingID: 1331517153 in tuscon cl!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts