Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys here is the dummy of the day ME. I have a 2005 Mercury 175 Optimax and I changed the water pump and thought the shift shaft spline was connected after bolting it back together. I had the shifter in forward gear and everything was fine until I shifted the boat and noticed it did not feel right.
I lowered the lower unit down again and noticed it was not attached and was off to the side and not attached. I shifted the boat back in forward gear and this is where the fun started.
I could not get this aligned and tried many times. I have it together but it's not right. the shifter feels like it's binding and sometimes it will feel ok then bind. Not sure what to do so I am planning on taking it over to Southwest tomorrow morning.
I was going anyway to have a some seat skins for my friends Ranger installed. I probably have at least six waterpumps to my credit on multiple engines and never a had this problem. I"ve never moved the shift shaft before though.
Not sure what else to do and I want to go fishing so hopefully they can get this synced for me quickly and back to normal. Anyone have any thoughts on this issue as we all face it when we do this job ourselves. :icon_sad:

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
easiest ways to fix it.
take lower unit out
turn the lower unit shift shaft all the way to one side, then turn to the other side however this time count clicks
divide by 2 click it over that many times
make sure prop turns as it should be in netrual

bolt back up.
the best way to do it is to take the washers off the side 2 bolts, push the lower unit up until the bolts just come through put the nuts on the 2 bolts a few turns, let the lower drop and hold on those nuts.

then grab a pair of needle nose and push the shift shaft rod that comes from the top up and over the top of the lower unit shifter.
push the lower unit up put some bolts in with washers, take off the nuts without the washers and put washers on.

DONT FOR GET TO HAVE THE SHIFTER IN NUTRUAL AS WELL.

2 things happned your shifter on the lower is out of alignment or ( and it happens) you didnt get the shifter rod aligned and its binding up when you tighted the bolts,if this is the case lower the bolts till just a few turns then mover the shifter rod.

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So by misaligning this it will sometimes go in gear easy then binds again. I will probably just take it too the dealer as now it's Sunday and I would like to use it later this week. I dd not think it moved much at all and it seems tough to get the shift shaft spline to drop on. Again like it's binding. How many clicks will this move from side and does it turn fairly easy? I have never moved this around.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way thanks for all of your help. You have helped me in a few situations and I appreciate that. Zoners need to help each other as our knowledge of solving problems has to be very strong. Just wanted to say thanks again as I am very frustrated with myself as my boat shifted flawlessly and now this happened.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got my boat back today from Southwest and they got me fixed up. It seemed I was a tooth off on the shift spline according to Mike Scott their service manager. They were very accomodating and I appreciate the service. I highly recommend Southwest Boats as they are very good guys and Steve Molinari took the time to chat with me and get to know me. I just want to have a reliable dealer that does the correct service and Southwest took care of me. Just wanted to give a shout out to them and say thanks for the help. :)

Thanks again to Delw for the help as well.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
S W BOATS ARE AWESOME. MIKE AND KEVIN ARE GOOD GUYS AND TAKE CARE OF YA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts