Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I just picked up a older 1986 Ranger 357V Comanche 18' bassboat. Everything is in great shape, the only problem I have is that the motor idles really rough and I dont seem to be getting full power when the throttle is fully engaged. This is a Mercury XR2 150HP Fuel Injected Outboard. When I say, just picked up a new boat, I mean it was kinda sorta handed down by my dad. Thats right, Ive fished from this boat since day one, and I also know that not much has been done to it in regards to preventative maintenance, just always made sure it was ready to go for each trip. Im wondering what I can do to get the motor back up in tip top shape. The boat has only been run maybe 5-7 times a year ever since it was first purchased new in January 87, so it has low hours on it. (hopefully thats about to change) I dont wanna hear anyones crap talk about Mercury Outboards because I know everyone has a preference, so keep it to yourselves, I just need basic ideas on what I could do to sort of tune it up and get it back in good shape again. Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Get it tuned up and running first, but also find out when the water pump impeller was last changed. Because it is so hot and dry here, I think it is recommended that water pump impellers be changed every year to every year and a half. Does it have a dash mounted engine water pressure gauge? If it does, you'll get an idea if the impeller is pumping water when the outboard is running.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mercury engine

I am very partial on this but I have been using Performance Marine located at 6608 W. Northview in Glendale. Randy, Sue and Brent only work on Marcs and Mariner motors and do and Excellent Job. Give them a call (623)931-9917.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Make sure you replace the fuel filter and water separator, also watch your waterpump pressure, thgese are all things that can be done by you.
I dont recomend you timming you motor due to the fact if you advance it to much just a few extra degrees it will burn a whole in your piston. Unless you are sure your going to set it exactly and not just get it close.

Since your on the east side Ive heard nothing but good about ken.

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts