Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
D A,
I remember last year when you shared your toad report (fishing log info of all of your bigger fish) and you said that your bigger fish were all caught within a few days of a full moon, never on one. I was wondering what the theory's were on on the moon phases and what about the information on BASS Master.Com, where it lists "peak" times for each day?.

Actually I'd like anyone's or everyone's opinion's/theory's on this. I used to keep track of this but I hardly care to even look. Am I missing something or do these phases play a roll in when some of you fish or not?

Thanks,
Skunked.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
I only blame the moon when I dont catch anything. :shock: I think it has a lot to do with what the baitfish do, thats for sure.
Jason

·
Registered
75 Posts
Moon phases

It seems as though the top water bite for me is never as good during a full moon. Someone once told me that during a full moon, the fish tend to feed at night more and less in the day.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
we fished last night ay bartlett for crappie during a full moon. WE caught 18 good size at yellow cliffs. Bass were chasing shad right at shore all the time threw a rico and caught one almost every cast. Buit when the wind would come up they would stop. Good night
phaz

G

·
Fished last night on Canyon, I told the wife that the fish had to be better sense it was a lunar and red!! And she bought it and I went and I am very glad I did. Fished from 9:15 till 11:45 and had 9 bass 7 lrg mouth and 2 smallies , nothing over 3lbs but they were very active cause I missed the hookset on 3 others . Now the other 3 nights before I only had 6 fish so....... something is in play same baits same spots same time. Oh and the bigguns are chasing trout. My records show me 2 to 3 days before and 2 to 3 days after a full moon is better for the bigger fish WITH the DARKEST nights being by far the best time. I only fish night times unless it is a tourney and I am to busy during a tourney to mark everything. Chat with Joe Owens he keeps pretty good logs on his nights.

G

·
Skunked, Last year two of my big fish came 4 to 5 days AFTER the full moon. The other 9 of 11 all came anywhere from 6 to 9 days AFTER the full moon. None were caught in the window 3 days before to 3 days after a full moon!

Since I fish 2 to 3 times a week I’m sure I fished during that supposedly "magic" time 3 days before to 3 days after a full moon. BUT, I always fish in the morning and never at night (except once this year with BulletHead). 9 of the 11 were caught in the morning with my 11.5 being an exception at 1:15 in the afternoon and a 7.5 around sunset.

Going a couple of steps further in this analysis. The moon was in the sky with the sun for 7 of the 11 big fish and it was in the sky with the sun on both multiple big fish days. However, after consulting the "solunar" fishing guide in a Magellan GPS, only 1 of the 11 was caught inside the Excellent/Good fishing windows. 10 of the 11 were caught in the Fair/Poor times! Since the Exc/Good times are 8 of 24 hours a day, the odds would be 1 in 3 of catching a big fish during an Exc/Good time. That solunar chart is phenomenally bad!!

Summary: My data tends to support the "Big Fish Feed At Night During a Full Moon" theory since I didn’t catch a big fish during the mornings around a full moon. Big fish were on the prowl in the morning 4 to 9 days after the full moon. Its strange I didn’t catch any big fish in the morning around the New Moon when nights are darkest. You’d think the morning bite would be good. Having the moon in the sky with the sun is good for catching big fish. Avoid the "Peak Fishing" times on solunar tables to catch big fish.

Projection based on the "d a Theory": This Thursday, Friday, and Saturday are 6 to 8 days after the full moon. The moon will be in the sky with the sun. And the only Excellent/Good peak morning times to avoid are 9 to 11am Thurs, 10 am to noon Friday, 5:25 to 7:25 on Saturday. Lets see if any big fish are caught in the morning?

Denny

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I don't keep logs (yet) but I believe that my better fishing is not at a full moon. It will be interesting to start to keep track of things like this to see what the facts are. Thanks all for sharing the info - except d a... :x From what D A is telling me, this weekend, WHEN I'M ON-CALL, promises to be a good weekend... :evil: :evil: :evil: ...just kidding D A, :wink: that's good info you shared with us - Thanks :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts