Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know tournament fishermen fiercely protect their hot spots from other competitors. What about fun-fishermen? Should we protect the spots we’ve found from friends and acquaintances? Should we respect the spots of friends and acquaintances and stay off them? Is there a happy medium for skilled and less skilled anglers? I’ll admit up front that my philosophy on this subject is confused right now and its gone through some changes recently so I’m not going to state my views right now. Hopefully, your responses will help get things back in perspective.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
If I am going fishing with some one (2 boats), sometimes we fish right next to each other. Boats with in 10 feet.

I generally dont fun fish, I only fish lakes where I have a tourny even though I take my kids I am still prefishing.

the guys that I know that fish tournys wont take my spots and I wont take theres. we even share spots and if I am heading to one they wont hit it and visa versa, during a tourny sometimes we might share spots(alot of times we have) but there are so many spots on the lake it dont make any difference.

If people see you out on the lake enough thy will start fishing your spots, I got one guy that follows me around like a puppydog during night tournys(bad part is I dont even know the guy).

I guess I generally dont mind due to the fact I will go and find another spot if it gets to crowed...

A few times Ive been pretty pissed to the point where Ive cut line and took lures, but these guys blatenly started crap. It doesnt happen very often but it has and probally will again.

there were 2 that I could think of that really pissed me off,

One was where a unamed pro TOLD me and my daughter to move due to the fact "he was in a high dollar tournyment" funny thing we were in the same tourny. granted our boat looked like something out of a scarey movie, but still the odasicity of this idiot, and to make matters worse he kept casting over our trolling motor and onto our shoreline when I told him to f-off.
Dani was getting pissed and I told her to toss her line towards there boat(didnt think she would come close) and bam she pulls a 5 out right next to his trolling motor. she also placed higher then him as well :wink:

Then the other was with splitshot and I fishing ABA some yahoo who couldnt catch any fish decided that the spot where we, docoplane, and 3 others guys where was his spot. so he casted right over everyones line, he got ran off by splitshot while I was busy eating donuts.
Funnny thing he never pulled a bass out of there and splitshot and I plus this other guy pulled 10-15 fish out while he was trying.

Its a tough question but sometimes ya just feel like fishing your self with out anyone around.

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
To be totally honest, if I hear of a hotspot, I'm going to try it out. If someone tells me to keep a spot a secret then I feel obligated to honor the man's/woman's request.

Now if I see some friends hanging around a spot and catching fish, then I'm there baby!

If I see some one fishing in a spot where I like to fish, I'll just fish somewhere in the vicinity of my favorite spot and I will use my trolling motor to slowly creep to it without disturbing the water or the other fisherman.

When I leave a spot where other folks are fishing I will Idle to a safe distance where I won't leave a huge wake and then I'll throttle up and head to my next spot.

I have fished tournaments and my ettiquette is the same as when fun fishing. Who has the right to kick anyone out of a spot where they are enjoying their favorite hobby! I'm an easy going guy, but if Mike Iaconelli or anyone else tells me to scram, I'll them where to go! When a man owns a private lake and allows me to fish on it, I'll respect his requests, but when I'm on a public lake and enjoying myself, a pro or amature etc, I'll stay in my spot and continue fishing.

John

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Like John if I am shown a hotspot and the person that showed me is not there or not expected to be there I will give it a try,If I know that person will be out that morning I will usually wait until they are on it then Slide in for some conversation and see if they mind if I fish around them. I also do not not reveal spot that I have been asked not to.Unfortunately Saguaro is a small lake with a lot of fisherman so if someone see's you catching fish wether they know you or not they will park next to you and pretty soon you have a flotilla going! Just ask da and Ken!I do not mind sharing spots if the people are friendly but I have had some allstar folks at Rosy pull in 20 feet in front of me and start fishing without saying a word, Like Del I got a lot of pleasure pulling fish out from behind them until they got frustrated and left , if they had asked I would have happily let them fish in front and told them what I was catching fish with. JMHO....I was a Sag this am and was fishing 40 ft off shore and had a wakeboat and a ski boat go between the shore and my boat,also on the way back to the ramp I was cut off by a wakeboat and forced danger close to shore as I came around the corner a PWC was hauling butt right at me so I had to evade her too! all in all a rather eventful morning.I did not lose a backseater though! At least I don't think I had one when I started out....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mostly I don't mind showing people where i fish I just ask that you don,t go there when you know i will be fishing there for a tourney in a couple days. I have had some people do that and screwed up that spot for the tourney. What I don't like is when you are on a spot and people crowed in on you I will do what ever it takes to keep them away till I'm ready to leave. I once paralled a guy down about 40yrds of bank so he could not get in there and we got 2nd place in that tourney, stayed there all day . I also don't mind helping people with what baits are working its still up to them to find fish I hate people that are afraid to say anything I can understand in a tourney or its someone thats going to be in the same tourney but otherwise its BS

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Well said Jigmaker! If I found some excellent lure, or knew what was working good, I would certainly share it with a fellow angler. Tourny situations are totally different, but I dont fish freshwater tournys so Im not too worried about that. But I agree, otherwise its BS!!

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
0k da here is a hypothetical question for you.Say you caught a couple of nice fish on a spot and I saw you do it, you come back next monday and I am camped on your spot,you did not tell me about that spot and you were not there when I pulled up though I know you will be there.Am I inconsiderate for fishing the spot before you show up ? Or if you did tell me and I beat you to it?(not that I would do that ,at least not if I knew you would be there! LOL). and just to clarify my position if I am fishing and someone comes up and fishes next to me I have no problem if I know them or if they are friendly, especially since all my spots were or are someone elses! :p

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Jack jig is right.. Its called first come first serve..
But thats funny you should bring that up, cause thats what happend to splitshot and I at the aba tourny.
Some yaho said he was fishing it the week before so we should move, I dont think either one of us said anything we just laughed at him...
he did point out to us he was a semipro and that was his spot if I remember correctly..
Yup he looked like a semi pro to us at weighin... he didnt have any semi fish.

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think bottom line is no one owns a spot on the lake. If someone wants to keep a spot totally secret they should not tell anyone or show anyone. If someone sees you catch fish there, they have a right to try that spot later when you are not there. If you tell or show someone then they have the right to fish that spot if noone else happens to be there. They also have a right to tell or show other people. The only time a spot is really yours is while you are there. Then people should respect your space and keep a reasonable distance while you are on the spot. Having said all that, if someone showed me a spot and asked me not to fish it before an upcoming tournament or asked me not to show it to others, I would respect their wishes.

Hey Del, did that unnamed pro recently finish 6th in the Classic???

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Ettiquette or Oughta quit

Day or night, if I see someone fishing a shoreline or points I want to fish, I will try to figure out what direction they are working, and pull up to the area they have already covered and work the opposite direction. If I want to work the same direction that they are, I will give them a bit of distance/time and work it back again. Yes, I too like pulling fish out of a place someone just went through. It's a great confidence booster. If someone is fishing on a spot at the flats I want to fish, I will pull up a good distance away and use my trolling motor to gradually work in that direction. Once close enough where they can hear you without yelling at them, A friendly "hello, how is it going today?" will generally get a friendly response. I will respect that immediate area that they are fishing, and give them their space. But if they move out, I move in. I have found that the surface bite will bring out the worst in people. If you have a boil 5 feet in front of your boat, some will gas motor right up in front of you and cast right up to your boat like you weren't even there. Life is too short to let these jerks ruin your day. On occasion if I am in the right mood, I will deliberately keep my boat in their way. Screw them!! Rumor has it that there are actually people that will tie up to your boat. That guy has balls. Yes, Ned02, I am talking about you.
Dave.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Since I primarily fish Saguaro now, and since I personally know or have fished with several of the guys from Azbasspro, I'd say just about everybody knows "my" favorite spots just like I know several of the other guys' hot spots. Like others have said, if you know me, want to hang out and visit and fish next to me, that's fine. I enjoy the visiting, which is one reason I'm still fishing Saguaro so much. I think I've only had one trip this year that I didn't see somebody I knew? I've had very few people there literally cut me off or take "my" water. The way I look at it, they're not vacuuming the lake. They're still leaving some. I'll be honest and admit that I've cast toward their boats before though (if I don't know them). I'll also say that we've been on fish and had a "floatilla" (as Jack called it) of guys come up on us that we didn't know, circle around us and squeeze us out and never say a word. That's not too cool, but I try not to say anything and either keep fishing or move. Maybe they don't have the right bait or technique anyway? :wink:
When it comes to spots others have shown me, I'll fish it if they're not there. If they show up and move in, I'll give them what I'd consider the best real estate and will move. That happened at the MMBC reunion a few weeks ago. I won't mention who showed me the spot (Ken!) but we managed to pull several fish out of there earlier that week, including a 7.2# LM. When he headed for this spot, I considered that "his" spot and moved. He proceeded to catch a 5.4 about 2 minutes later! But... who's to say that I would've caught it??
I went to Saguaro last night. Someone who reads this page but doesn't post was kind enough to share a hot spot (and bait) with me. Last night's trip was a spur of the moment wild hair. When we got there, not only was JH there with 3 guys in his boat, but his partner was also there with 3 guys in their boat. We shut the motor off quite a ways off to say hi. I wasn't going to fish there because they were already fishing it. They invited us to fish their water, so we did. I was very conscious not to velcro myself even remotely close to them. We had a great time and everybody caught awesome numbers of fish, including some very nice LM. Close to this spot was a spot that we fished last weekend and Walkerdawg nailed a 6.3# LM. I said a few times that we should go in and hit it while we were there. So we headed in, not realizing that the other 2 boats were also moving in. Sorry JH and DB! :oops: I really felt I was in their turf and slid out of there and fished other water. They were there first!
When it comes to spots, if someone asks me not tell others, I don't. I've yet to have anyone flat out ask me not to fish someplace after they've shown me a spot though. I've told others of a few spots but have specifically asked them not to post a spot, or even a particular bait, but have never asked anyone not to fish the spot if I'm not there, and I wouldn't expect anyone not to fish it! It's not my lake!
Good question, Denny. :idea:

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Re: Ettiquette or Oughta quit

SPIDERMAN said:
Day or night, if I see someone fishing a shoreline or points I want to fish, I will try to figure out what direction they are working, and pull up to the area they have already covered and work the opposite direction. If I want to work the same direction that they are, I will give them a bit of distance/time and work it back again. Yes, I too like pulling fish out of a place someone just went through. It's a great confidence booster. If someone is fishing on a spot at the flats I want to fish, I will pull up a good distance away and use my trolling motor to gradually work in that direction. Once close enough where they can hear you without yelling at them, A friendly "hello, how is it going today?" will generally get a friendly response. I will respect that immediate area that they are fishing, and give them their space. But if they move out, I move in. I have found that the surface bite will bring out the worst in people. If you have a boil 5 feet in front of your boat, some will gas motor right up in front of you and cast right up to your boat like you weren't even there. Life is too short to let these jerks ruin your day. On occasion if I am in the right mood, I will deliberately keep my boat in their way. Screw them!! Rumor has it that there are actually people that will tie up to your boat. That guy has balls. Yes, Ned02, I am talking about you.
Dave.
Your just jealous cuz your not stealthy enough to do it! :p :)

G

·
Denny:

Doesn't really make a difference if you tell them or not, bottom line is, if they ain't with you, they probably won't catch the same fish. How many people crowd around Ken and take his spots and still can't catch fish. The only problem I find about tellling to many people, is these lakes are to small and you may find your honey hole taken not only by your friend but 10 other friends of friends. I believe someone said first come first serve, nobody owns these waters but God.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
You all know me... Know how I earn a livin'... I'll catch this shark, but it ain't gonna be easy. That's one bad fish! ...I love that line.

Here's my point on this view... :shock: ??? :?

I guess I could write a book on what I think about this but I'll try to keep it short. I'd much rather know I'm not interfering with someone else's fishing than worry about someone getting too close to me. It's ok to come in close to me, but I don't want to encroach on your spot. Make since? I don't want to interfere with your fishing and I don't want you to interfere with my fishing. It's not your lake! It's not my lake! I don't mind sharing but I know some people get ticked off when you get too close. How close it too close? That's what I don't know and I don't think anyone will ever be able to answer that 100% of the time. When I'm fishing I don't care when people get close to me, especially when they say hello. If they kept me from casting when it's obvious I'm fishing a spot, that's just flat out disrespectful. In the past, I've moved out of a spot and let tourney guys "fish through" and I'll do it again - as long as they don't tell me that they're semi-pro's and I have to move. In that case they can pucker up and pick a cheek... I only wish I could pull a fish out from under them like Delw's girl - That's GREAT! :lol:

Bottom line, if I'm getting too close and you were there first - let me know I'm too close. I don't want to tick anyone off. I'm there to have fun, relax and learn. You can get a good ideal of what I look like and what my boat looks like on Nightcrawler's site. If you see me on the water, come on and park next to me for all I care. ...just say hi! ...and DON'T ask to see the tail! LOL! :lol:

Take Care and be safe out there!

G

·
I am not a tournament fisher, but a pleasure fisher. If I go to the lake to fish, find a nice spot, start to fish and someone comes up later and tells me that they are in a tournament and that is there hot spot, I would have to admit that I would not feel obligated to move for any reason. The lake is public, no one in particular owns it, so therefore I do not think that the marina sells reservations for certain spots. If they choose to fish in the area I am in, more power to them, as long as they do not cast over me, or cast in the same spot I am. I think that is very rude and abnoxious. I also think it is rude to pull up on someone, you see what direction down the bank they are trolling, and you pull up and cut them off and fish in front of them. That has happened to me several times. So has people taking off full throttle and almost swamping my boat. And these are fishermen, not skiers or wakeboarders! :?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts