Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finaly got a chance to go look at the elk who have decided to stay in the middle of Morman lake until Rut. Kind of cool. Sorry that the photos are not as clear as they could be but they are about a mile out in the lake bottom and my camera just won't zoom that far that good.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Incredible numbers there.
We're headed to Nutrioso in October. There's a huge meadow like that right out the front door. I hope we're as fortunate as you to see that many.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
The elk are there every year. If you really want to see them, take a look in the canyon on the backside of the fire station.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Is that from the morman lake look out??

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
is there any water in mormon??

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Here is a better picture of them from this year....

Attachments

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
holy sh*t.... ^ Thats a cool picture

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
10-4

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
The elk are there every year. If you really want to see them, take a look in the canyon on the backside of the fire station.
My friend in Flag called me and sent picks of those and he said they haven't been there in those #''s in quite some time and that everyone (he was a forestry major & actually went on elk surveys and count trips with forest service) there was happy to see them again???

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
HAVE HUNTED THAT AREA FOR DECADES THOSE NUMBERS ARE NOT UNCOMMON AND HAVE SEEN MANY MORE THAN THAT IN SEVERAL YEARS. PLUS I KNOW THEY TRAVEL ROUTE FROM 6A TO 5BSOUTH IT'S A MIGRATORY ROUTE. HAVE SEEN SO MANY IN THAT AREA IT LOOKS LIKE A BROWN CLOUD MOVING AT DAYBREAK. 1,000+ NOT UNCOMMON NO B.S.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
need some dang water in mormon, can't shoot the elk and the dang ducks and geese won't land in the dirt!!!

great pics, I have also seen what looked like a huge herd of cattle out on the lake bed through the years and it was all elk, thats one reason forest service shut off vehicle and quad access to the lake when it is dry or little water because idiots were out chasing the elk on quads during the summer. It is a sight to see

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
My friend in Flag called me and sent picks of those and he said they haven't been there in those #''s in quite some time and that everyone (he was a forestry major & actually went on elk surveys and count trips with forest service) there was happy to see them again???
Well, your friend doesnt know what an elk looks like, is blind, full of shit, or all of the above.
My parents have a cabin that BACKS UP to Morman Lake. They live there from May 15 to Oct 15 and have for the past 10 years. I also spend alot of time at their cabin.
The Elk number in the thousands EVERY YEAR. Although there are a shitload in the DRY lake bed, there are a helluva lot more in the canyon behind the fire station.
Elk are known as the Mormon lake roaches to the locals. Thats why there arent very many trees in back yards up there. The elk come in at night and mowem down.
When the first big cold front comes in they will start their ANNUAL migration down thru Sycamore Canyon and finnally settle just above Camp Verde.
That applies to the main herd in and around Mormon lake and Munds Park.
The bull Im gonna take this year is a resident holed up in rattle snake canyon. :hump:
Goodluck to your friend and his forestry major, get him some glass's and maybe a calculator to help keep count next survey.... :Iconrotfl

1 - 19 of 19 Posts