Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new or good used trolling motor and thought I would post hear for advice.
Hear are the needs...
Fully variable speed settings, at least 50 lbs of thrust, non-cable driven, needs to hold its course and not turn when your busy landing a fish and your foot is off of it for a minute.
Whats the best one out there for least price, and is an auto pilot one really worth it? It will be used primarily for all day trolling on a 16' Skeeter.
Oh yeah... 12, 24, or even 36 volt is no problem.
Thanks all,
Stay Safe

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I have a Minkota Maxxum 65lb-24v that works great but if you do not have your foot on the pedal it will turn, Some of the folks here have had problems with the Auto pilot so research it well before you buy one of those.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Most if not all foot controlled trolling motors are cable controlled.

Your trolling motor is only as good as your batteries,

24volt is definatly better.
minnkota in my opinion is the best mainly do to the fact you can get parts direct and fast, Now that mercury aquired motorguide parts are harder than hell to get even for for the stocking dealers.

I have a 56lb 24 volt trolling motor on my 21 foot cajun(it came with the boat) and it will pull the boat all day long, even in the wind and has pleanty of power.

on your 16 foot skeeter 3 batteries(36volt)+ your cranking battery will be a problem due to weight and it will sit low in the back. not to mention you probally wont have anroom to put batteries.

24 volt would be the max I would go on that size boat.

Question is on the cable part. do you want a foot control or a hand control?( hand control has no cables).
Hand control have there advantages also, like you said you want to let it go when you pull in a fish and to stay on course, hand control will do that, most foot controls will for about the first 3-6 months of use then when you take your foot off the pedal they might turn.

For summer time fishing when fishing the banks I would love a hand controlled trolling motor.
Stay away from the auto pilots just something else to go wrong. some people have them and have no problems others have them and they are in the shop more than they are on the boat.

The down side on a hand controlled trolling motor is that they requier your hand to manuver with and if your in and out of trees you cant fish cause you have to manuver the trolling motor. It trees or around rocks and stuff this could be a problem especially if there is any wind)

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cable drive clarified

Thanks for the advice...
By cable controlled I meant the thick somewhat rigid type of steel cable I currently have. As I have limited room on the bow the pedal ends up right under my seat in order to not kink the cables up. A wire cable is no problem though and is what I'm looking for. I think the foot control is better also for my all around type fishing. My boat is allready wired for 12/24/36 and yes Delw I have 4 batt's in her. Two are up front for the trolling motor only and really helps get her on plane quick. Do you have any specifics on the autoplilot motor problems? I had thought Minn Kota had gotten them worked out.
Thanks again...
Stay Safe

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Lostaluck.
the trolling motors that I have always had , had a small braided steel cable, I didn tknow of any others until Da told me about the motorguided solid steel rod one. I have a motor guide on the cajun and its the tour edition and the cables are braided steel not the hard steel ones.

the pedal is flexible just like the minnkota ones.

as far as the auto pilot problems. the main concern was that the auto pilot doesnt work and breaks most of the time. If I remember correctly Rippenlips had one, and so did a few others on the board.

4 batteries on a small boat is alot of weight 2 batts. up front will get you on plane faster but how does it do while on full trim? besides that your loosing alot of storage space with them up front.
Batteries weigh between 30-40 lbs

a 36volt trolling motor is 101lbs and you would be able to waterski behind it in your 16 footer . Not neccassary unless you have money to spend.
Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Batt's up front

The two batteries up front are mounted below the deck in a box suspended from the deck so as to keep it from touching the hull. With that configuration the two EV (electric vehicle) batt's don't take up any additional room. One deep cylce in the rear is to power all the electronics and then I have another just for cranking (they can be swapped if needed). The EV batteries are very heavy but worth the weight in available power.
Top end on the boat is just under 60 mph and it gets on plane quick.
Called up to Sportsmans and the guy said they had the Minn Kota 55AP for $419.00. Took a trip up there only to find he was wrong and that one is NOT auto pilot. Good thing I live close or %^$#. I'll keep looking a while I guess.
Stay Safe

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! The auto pilot one would be great for when I troll, but if it is not dependable then the power drive seems the best bet. I don't need the built in transducer as both of mine are hull mounted.
I would be interested in talking to you about testing a new jig I have applied for patent on also. Some time if interested give me a call on my cell at 602-714-4996.
Thanks again Delw!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts