Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, how is everyone doing? It's time for me to start going to Apache. I usally will go there a dozen times in the next three months. I have a real need for smallmouth. Almost like eating and I need that real bad. On my way I go right by Canyon and I'm wondering why I don't give this lake a shot. I read alot of you people going there. My question is, What is the smallie situation there and is it good there in the winter for smallies like Apache. A big largemouth wouldn't hurt matters either but I mainly want smallies. Thanks for the help. Mitch

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Mitch, I'm not going to be much help. My last trip there was October 4th and I got skunked. Was going to go this weekend except my back was hurting too much...so maybe I'll get there next weekend. I've caught a few big fish there in the past but have not been able to establish a pattern on LMB or SMB. Your best bet would be to hook up with Joe Owens. He knows Canyon very well.

G

·
Mitch, Just like Apache but closer white/silver spinner baits with gold blades, craw colored cranks and silver rattle traps and of course jigs black/blue and moss green and brown and black.
And of course you should ALWAYS have a swim bait tied on and laing handy.

Areas, right across from either launch working towards the dam up
to the point then zip upriver and throw the cranks. Canyon should be remembered as the FEAST OR FAMINE lake ,you either get the bite or you dont. In the winter time if you want a chance for a hog smallie or largemouth on Canyon tie on a black/blue jig (pork trailer) and go flippin the boulders and STAY WITH IT. as with a swim bait the bites will be few but well worth it. I am sure Joe will answer this also and if you ask REAL NICE he might let you in on one of his spots in a e-mail note. In good faith I could not give out any of his big smallie spots.

Gold Canyon Baits

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, I'm headed up there this weekend. Apache friday, canyon saturday. Good luck to you all. Mitch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts