Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok dudes I've got a desert tortise named Fred.....Fred is like 46 and is getting kinda pissy....

Anyway to make Fred happy(Fred likes shade) I was going hollow out this trunk section of a pecan tree I was planning on chopping up for BBQ wood.....question is how in the hell do I hollow something this big...I think a holesaw is out of the question.....I tried to get-r-dun w/ my chainsaw and that aint gonna work...well it might, but my might get jacked up in the process...give me some ideas...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damm dude why not let fred go back in to the wild ?? why keep him like that?? Just a question dude
How You Can Help Turtle Conservation in Arizona
Keep captive turtles captive. Captive desert tortoises released into the wild can severely jeopardize local wild populations through the introduction of upper respiratory tract disease (URTD), which has been implicated in large tortoise die offs in California. Also, released tortoises can displace or disrupt areas already occupied by tortoises. It is illegal to release captive tortoises into the wild. If you have a captive tortoise that you can no longer care for, contact your regional tortoise adoption facility.

Captive aquatic turtles that are released into the wild can become established, and can potentially spread disease to and compete for resources with native aquatic species, including the state's native mud turtles. Do not release captive turtles, and make sure enclosures are secure so that turtles cannot escape. In the Phoenix area, the Phoenix Herpetological Society provides assistance to owners who are no longer able to care for their reptile.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Well that explains its

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Franklin
it would be much easier and faster to cut the log in half then groove it all out with a chain saw, do both sides anf put them together either with dowels and or wire .

Boring a hole big enough for a turtle will take some huge ass tooling, I assume the lenght is more then 24 inchs long? a chain saw can do it in less than an hour. make a hole bunch of slits length wise then break them off with a chisel and or hammer

I don't think the wood shop on the base has anything that big either.

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I just dug a good sized hole, lined the side and ends with 4x8x16 fence block, and then covered the top with two layers of 3/4" plywood and 3" of styrofoam. I then piled alot of dirt on top. You just have to be careful with the grade around the hole so it doesn't fill with water. It would be easier if you could find a short length of culvert.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Franklin I gotta give you a safety brief for the wood shop. No wood shop without eye and hearing protection, use push rods and please do this sober. Thanks!
-Safety guy.
:Iconrotfl

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Scope the shoreline at Bart or Roosey and just bring home a hollowed log for Freddy. Might be easier and it gives you another reason to hit the lake.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
I just dug a good sized hole, lined the side and ends with 4x8x16 fence block, and then covered the top with two layers of 3/4" plywood and 3" of styrofoam. I then piled alot of dirt on top. You just have to be careful with the grade around the hole so it doesn't fill with water. It would be easier if you could find a short length of culvert.
Good comment!

I too have a desert tortise and have had him since he was about the size of a half dollar and he is almost 20 now. I have all the proper paperwork too so he is legal.

Where ever you place the habitat as Dan said you need to insure that it properly drains away from the habitat.

In the cooler months I collect him up and put him in the garage in a box that is lined with old rags. Usually a inch or 2 below him and a few inches on top of him. Put him on a shelf and bring him out in late April or early May when it warms up. Just do not feed him at all then.

·
Registered
476 Posts
We have two desert tortise's. The male is pretty large and is around 65 years old. The female is medium size and is about 18 years old. We built a burrow for them similar to the one DanW built. Ours is on top of the ground and once inside the tortise's kind of dug it out some. Once they are in there for the winter we cover it with some old carpet and blankets for insulation. They seem to like it and we have had no problems at all.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
i got a plastic 55 gallon drum and cut out half of the top leaving a a half circle in the top. and i drilled a few holes in the side that will be the bottom. i dug a hole in the ground that was long enough to to fit the barrel tipped on its side, with the drilled side down for drainage. it was deep enough for the barrel to be buried half way. i put the barrel in it with the cut side of the top up. i filled it in with dirt about half way up then put the rest of the dirt on the top of the barrel. then i put a few bricks on at the entrance. its hard to explain but if you want to know what i mean let me know, ill put pictures up.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I have two African Sulcata Tortoises. They live for up to 110 yrs and grow to 200 lbs. They are kool animials. There is a book call Turtles & Tortoises for dummies i got at petsmart that had alot of good sugestions on everything from housing to food. I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts