Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

New Mexico

2K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
I dont know if any of you care but, I found this interesting that New Mexico is FINALLY getting a bass hatchery. New Mexico has four or five trout hatcheries but no warm water fish hatcheries. Anyway now I get to catch more bass back home and less trout.

#4 ·
I am from the small town of Jemez Springs which is (if you dont know where it is) about 1.5 hours southwest of Los Alamos. I now own property up in the little town of 7 Springs over between Fenton lake and the 7 springs hatchery on Cibola creek.
You been to Elephant Butte latley?

#5 ·
To Flippin stick

Was up in the Jemez Springs area last month what a beautiful place, was reading the Alburqueque paper and they were just getting ready to open a stretch of water for trout fishing that had been closed for several years, they said the number of trout per square mile was phenominal, just thought that might interest you.

#6 ·
I was just fishing up in Jemez Springs last month, I also drove up to fenton lake but it was to busy to fish. I caught some really nice natives out of those streams. I have not fished Elephant butte in a long time however last time I heard the water was REALLY low and the fishing was awsome. I have seen some Huge stripers come out of that lake. If anybody likes fishing trout in streams or rivers the San Juan Rivers is the best.

#7 ·
They close sections up there quite a bit and when they do open your right the fishing is good for both Browns and good oversized rainbows. Fishin3 if you go up past fenton lake about half a mile after you cross the first bridge over the creek my propery is up on the left down Argo lane its a private road but you are allowed to walk down and fish the stream there. There is no pressure there because most people think that everything down the road is private but its a public stream and we have to grant access to the stream. Next time your up there give it a try, my cabin is the one thats on your right when standing at the bridge. Fish in that area and you will be surprised, some nice truchas. Fishin3 or 2dogs maybe we could hit the lake sometime and talk a little more about the ole home ehh?

G
#8 ·
Hey thats great I appreciate the invitation I may have to take you up on that offer sometime. I will be at Saguaro on friday with Bayou, so if you happen to be out there keep an eye out. Let me know when you are heading back home so i can set you up with some fishing buddies of mine. My e-mail is PCs_triple@excite.com.

#10 ·
Greetings fellow New Mexicans! You guy's need to stop talking about the Jemez, your'e making me homesick.. I grew up in Albuquerque but my dad ran a sawmill in Cuba and my uncle ran one in Espanola. Spent many hours as a kid on that mountain. What's the lastest with the Baca? Last I heard it was going to be in a rotational management plan with several govt. agencies. :lol:

#11 ·
hey dryheat, you know I have not heard much about the Baca since I moved away from home but if I hear anything I will keep you posted. Oh, I posted the wrong info about the hatchery it is gonna be in Santa Rosa not Ruidoso. I guess they are dropping 1.3 mil on this project. Its good to hear from some Northern New Mexicans. All this talk about home makes me want to take another fishing trip out there. :lol:

#12 ·
dryheat I have heard the same as you about the baca and am just hoping what ever they do I beg it to be a day use only forever! once you let grandma and grandpa park their motorhomes that perfect serine area will be lost forever and one more thing if they let people start camping in there it will be trashed. I am sure you see how "most" New Mexicans leave their campsites they might put it all in a trashbag but they just leave it there for the animals to rip into and scatter it everywhere, I do have to say that Az has some bad ones but not nearly like the campers in New Mexico...you agree?

G
#13 ·
Another fellow New Mexican here too! Amazing how small a world we live in...I used to fish Jemez springs when I lived in LA during my college co-op......grew up down south in Alamogordo.....some nice streams to fish in the Sacramentos.

Hey fishin3, when I was up there, it was a little scary for a white boy to hang out in Espanola, has it mellowed out an up there?

Fish On!

BassTrix

G
#14 ·
:oops: :wink: Hey Basstrix. When you came off the mountain all you needed to do was get rid of the pocket protector and stop telling everyone you were looking for three wise men and a virgin! (Only honest New Mexicans will get that). I too hope they take care of the Baca. I have heard a few horror stories from my brother on the elk hunting proposals. Sounds like they will go to the highest bidder leaving the common man out. I love Arizona but miss the remoteness(is that a word?) of NM.
- Is that green chile I smell roasting? dryheat

#16 ·
BassTrix, Yeah its a little scary for anybody to go to that town, especially if you are a lil white boy. :lol: Yup the green Chili is roasting right now and my stomach is growling, man, I think that is the best smell in the world. The funny part of that joke is that it is true!!! :lol:

#17 ·
If you guys need a local fix try the Albuquerque Tortilla Company. They have a store around 7th ave and Northern. Heck they even have an honest to God roaster out back. The fresh stuff from Hatch ought to be rollin in soon. It's a retail store but they also serve hot food. (Real breakfast burritos, rellenos etc.) Oh yea, the sopapillas aren't on a dessert menu either! My personal favorive item are theri frozen rellenos. They run a about a buck apiece and are breaded and ready to go. Just a couple of minutes in the oven or skillet to melt the cheese and your on your way. My wife and I were in San Francisco once at a mexican food joint. (Yeah I should know better.) Rellenos were on the menu. Having been burned many times by what places try to pass as a relleno I had to ask, " Do ya have a Big Jim?"* He just smiled. The food sucked but the service was great.

*For all you Texans it's a breed of green chile.

G
#19 ·
Hey guys!

I lived in Alamogordo for a couple years. Met my last ex-wife there! I loved that place! I worked for a military contractor fixing T-38s at Holloman AFB. Most of the Folks hated being there, but the trout fishing and hunting was awesome! I really miss that place, but my ex is related to just about everybody there.

I loved fishing Tulee Creek and fishing at the Inn of the Mountain Gods was always awesome! I have some great memories I will never forget and the 4 wheeling is just fantastic! I can't tell you how many times I've tried to kill myself and friends (just kidding) driving stupid on the curves of Karr Creek Rd, or was it Karr Canyon? The wild life is just awesome!

Man, I sure miss that place!

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.