Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got blown all over the lake the other day, so now I am looking at upgrading my TM from a 30lb thrust to a 40. Its a 12v set-up. First i will replace my TM battery and see if that makes a difference, I believe its about time to be replaced anyways. My question is, is replacing your TM a pain in the neck or a pretty smooth thing? Also, is there a mod or kit I can do/buy to make the TM not shake and clunk when I hit the pedal? I dont think the fish like that too much.
Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Jason,
On my Tracker I have the 54lb thrust motorguide and I am still beggin for more power on some of those windier days, 99% of the time that 54 will do the job but I definatly wouldnt go lower than that.
Hope this helps.

G

·
Jason, I have a Motor Guide Brute, model no. 750, 12/24, 50 lb thrust, with a 40" shaft, and a Gator mount. I'll take $130.00 for it. If you're interested, reply back to me and I'll give you the details.

Jamie

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
JasonR
If you have the opportunity or are looking at buying a new trolling motor I would suggest going as large as you can. I have a 109 and would still like more. Course My boat weighs a ton (My wife keeps it loaded down with stuff!!! and she lets me know when I need something it's always there bless her) anyway I wouldn't go with anything less then a 24 volt system. Even if you have a small boat having more allows you to fish longer ie two days without recharging bad wind etc. Motorguide has a new 24 volt 81# thrust that works good. If you are looking to buy used I would talk to J-B that seems like a fair price for what he has. As far as the noise cluncks and stuff it's most likely the mount. all of the piviot points are worn out. Try to replace the mount with a gator mount or one of the newer style mounts. Probably the most important thing to add would be what they call a bump stopper. it holds the motor stiff in position when it's in the stowed position. this way it dosen't bounce up and down when you are hitting waves, wakes or just plain old rough water. (The other good thing is it will keep from cracking the fiberglass or aluminum on your front deck.) anyway let me know if you need help with the new install would be glad to lend a hand. good luck hope this helps

G

·
if you replace your battery , at least go to a group 27, only a couple inches bigger and will give you a lot more battery life each time you are out. jim

·
Registered
393 Posts
Jason
Just a word of experience so you will be prepared. If you change the mount bracket you will need something to remove the existing screws with i.e. bolt cutters or hack saw. When I recarpeted I tried to remove the mount and found the phillip screws heads were completely stripped and the nuts were rusted to the screws. I was only able to get one off. I replaced it with a hex bolt. Good luck.

G

·
I would sugest you get a 24 volt Minn Kota. My experience in the last 6 years has been MotorGuide is junk. I have a 74lb MinnKota Maxium and it pushes my 18'5' Skeeter very well. JMHO, Rich

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Interesting. I've had my motorguide for three years and used it hard I haven't had any trouble with it. JasonR before you go out and by a new battery Let me know I've got a good stowaway group 27 AGM battery you can have to try out. If your interested Let me know and we will figuer out how to get it to you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Optima's are $100 at Costco. Although, I don't know if they have the blue ones, which are deep cycle. The good thing about those is that they have a 3-year free replacement. That's tough to beat. The one Stowaway that is being offered by Riggin sounds good. I second that statement where Motorguides are reliable. I haven't been down in the 8 yrs. due to a Motorguide failure. I'm running a Minn Kota on a little boat that is smooth, too. I'm sure there's going to be some failures in all brands, but I can't say anything bad about MGs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.