Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The primary difference between the Tournament 320 and the 480 Max is pixel count ( Picture Element ). One has 320V X 320H, and the other unit has 480V X 480H. The higher the pixel count, the clearer more detailed your screen will be, especially in deep water. Both units have surface temperature, full & split screen zoom/bottom track, adjustable depth alarm, 16 level gray scale, adjustable back light, 600' maximum depth reading, voltage meter. The units will be packaged with the mounting brackets, multi mount transducers, power cables and owners manual, and will both retail for under
$200.00. While we were using the 480 Max on Saguaro, you could clearly watch your 4'' worm shake on a dropshot rig at 45'. When I asked the Computrol rep how they were able to build and sell such high quality units so cheap, he said new technology? If you are looking for new units for your new boat, compare these to anything on the market, nothing else even comes close. Cabelas offers the Lowrance X-15 which is a great unit, without GPS for $699.00, and that unit has 3000 watts peak to peak power with 480x350 pixels and the same warranty. Compare that to $200.00 with 3200 watts peak to peak power, 480x480 pixels? Have a great weekend Bill.....Joe

·
Registered
517 Posts
Joe....what kind of boat are you in ? and what time do you plan on getting off the Lake on Sunday? Thought I may be able to meet you near the ramp before you leave and check out those Graphs for a few minutes. I'm looking at replacing my X75 & X85 and these may be an excellent option.

I could meet up with you anytime on Sunday, I just didn't want to cut into your fishing time especially if you are with a client. I'm in a White / Green Champ w/ 175 Merc.

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
Say what?

Joe Owens said:
..compare these to anything on the market, nothing else even comes close.
Why you chose to compare the Bottom Line units to the X-15 is beyond me! Different size screens, different power ratings, (the X-15 is 4000 watts P-P not 3000 as you stated), different capabilities (the X-15 is GPS capable is the Bottom Line? No.) and different generations of technology. The X-15 is several years old. That’s comparing apples and oranges.

Let me compare the Bottom Line 320 and 480 Max units to the Eagle Fishmark 320 and 480 units. This will be a valid comparison in that they have the same size screens, same capabilities, same generations of technology, and same price ranges since they are all under $200.

____________Bottom Line 480______________Eagle 480
Pixels.............................480x480............................................480x480
Screen size................4.14 x 4.05”......................................3.54 x 3.54”
Pixels/vert. inch...............119.......................................................136
Power P-P......................3200 watts.......................................1500 watts
Max Depth.......................600 ft.................................................800 ft
Sensitivity (ft/watt)....0.18.......................................................0.53
Cabela’s price................$180...................................................$200

Pixels per vertical inch is an important measure of a fishfinder’s value because it takes into account not just pixel count but screen size as well. Imagine a fishfinder with 480x480 pixels but the screen size is the size of a bill board or Jumbotron? The images would be very “blocky” because each pixel is so large. The Bottom Line’s screen is a bit larger than the Eagle’s with the same number of vertical pixels. Because its screen is larger, the Bottom Line will be a little easier to see, but the Eagle’s display will appear “smoother”. Call it a wash between these units.

Sensitivity is a measure of just how well a fishfinder uses the advertised power. Say you had a fishfinder with 10,000 watts of P-P power but the maximum depth it could read down to is only 20 feet! That wouldn’t be a very efficient use of the power. Like a car with a 400 hp engine doing 0 to 60mph in 10 minutes flat. The Bottom Line needs to use 3200 watts to see the bottom in 600 feet yet the Eagle can see the bottom in 800 feet with only 1500 watts. With a sensitivity value of 0.53 the Eagle is 2 and a half times better than the Bottom Line with a sensitivity value of 0.18. The edge goes to Eagle on this one.

Other factors to consider when buying a fishfinder are product reliability and manufacturer customer support and service. (Just ask a Pinpoint owner.) I admit I know nothing about Bottom Line's reliability and customer service. I do know that Lowrance/Eagle is the industry leader and their reliability is good and their customer support and service is outstanding.

The Eagle Fishmark 320 has been on the market for over a year so Bottom Line is playing catch-up with its introductions at this time. Allow me to state the obvious, the Bottom-Line 320 and 480 come close to matching the Eagle 320 and 480. But, IMO, they don't surpass them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Graph comparison/Fishing times on Canyon tomorrow

That is a very good comparison with very good information Denny, but I think there are a couple of things you made a mistake on. The Eagle Fishmark 480 does not have 480x480 pixels, it has 480x320, big difference. It also has only a 10 level gray scale, not 16 level like the bottomline 480 max. The 480 max also offers a multi mount transducer, whereas the Eagle Fishmark 480 gives you the option of a bow or transom mount, and if you decide to move the unit, you must order another transducer. But all in all, I'm sure they are both good units. I compared the 480 max to the X15 only because it is a common unit that most are familiar with, but your right, that was a bad comparision on my part. As far as fishing on Canyon tomorrow, I will be with Howard Harris in his Ranger. We will be launching at the Laguna ramp at first light. I guess we will fish until he is tired. When you see us, please come on over. Good luck.....Joe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone has way to much time on there hands. Joe, After that report you should just throw those fish finders in the lake! Deckhand

·
Registered
393 Posts
d a
I have a question on your statement on sensitivity efficiency.
The Eagle 480 has 800ft at 1500 watts and cost $200
My Lowrance x125 has 900ft at 2400 and cost $300.
Tell me why I paid $100 more, and remember you are suppose to make me feel better :D

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
Mike, you're a fellow engineer right? If so, then you know we focus too much on data like performance specs and fail to appreciate the esthetic values of a design. Ignore the sensitivity value of your X125 (at .375 its just a notch below the Fishmark) and learn to appreciate the X-125's charcoal gray plastic case and the distinctive Lowrance logo. Much, much nicer than the light gray Fishmark case and Eagle logo IMO. And the name? X125 is cool 8) ! You can feel part of Generation-X, or imagine the X-Men using the X125, or even imagine yourself competing in the ESPN X-Games! Compare that coolness to Fishmark. First time I heard that name I thought the guy said Fishmarket! If you haven't made the transition from engineer to marketing yet let me put it this way for you:

X125 = Cool**2
Fishmark = 1 / Cool

I'm sure the X125 looks a lot better in your new Ranger too!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You guys are killing me! LOL! :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.