Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

does fishing line choice at night effect the results of catching fish?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those whom baitfish at night, there are arguments between anglers saying that they believe fluorocarbon fishing line has no substantual advantage over the use of monofilament line at night. in this thread I have submited, you can share fishing stories that strengthen your side of the argument, and share your opinion. Maybe you dont think line choice makes a difference at night? Vote now.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The only thing I know is that monofilament will carry light down it's length and Fluorocarbon will not. Now I don't know if that would impact your fishing numbers, I personally don't think it matters.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have flouro on my rods and my son has Berkley Triline XL, and we seem to catch close to the same amount of fish but he seems to have more fish swallow the hook then I do, not sure if that has anything to do with the line

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
here in CO at night, braid is very popular for catching wallaye, wich supposedly have the best vision of any fish. So these very seasoned anglers who only use flouro during daytime catch tons of eyes at night with braid, mono, whatever. Personally I can't recall a situation where myself or another angler at night out performed the other using different line, but I wouldn't hesitate to use,... "whatever" line if it was dark out

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Fluorescent at night for visibility. I know without it I would not have seen line movement and caught fish that were not felt. Fluorcarbon in daylight for senitivity, strength, invisibility under water and less stretch. Braid in heavy cover

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I use flourescent flouro at night..to me, it is more sensitive which = more fish in the boat. :)
Darrin

Are you serious, that Cosa Nostra (M) group you learned to fish with use too catch 150 fish a nite at Rosy 25 years ago on some of the worse line out there, those fish could care less what line your throwing at nite.

·
Registered
952 Posts
My pb was on a full moon on braid. Largemouth bass aren't picky. But other fish might be a little more picky like stripers

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I made the switch to Floro/ flouro, last year. My catch ratio has gone down to 1/10 of what I was doing before the switch. Going back to stren clear blue floro mono.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I don't think it matters at night. We went to Aravaca the other night. I got 12 on 20# braid, my buddy 9 on 14# mono, and my other buddy 6 on 8# mono, his line was a little light and probably would have landed more with heavier line. We were all using plastics, worms and senkos all night. Probably all had about an equal amount of fish get off the hook due to miss sets or what ever. There have been other times we have gone out at night though, where it's been the same basic set up. Me using braid, them using mono, me using flouro/mono, them mono or what ever and they out fish me, or I do about the same. Night time line doesn't matter one bit I don't think.

In the early morning though my bites slowed down a lot, and theirs seemed to pick up a little.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Darrin

Are you serious, that Cosa Nostra (M) group you learned to fish with use too catch 150 fish a nite at Rosy 25 years ago on some of the worse line out there, those fish could care less what line your throwing at nite.
:biggrin:You are right about those good old days...We had a LOT of fun!!!!

You are correct. I don't think the fish care either.
I'm just saying that when the bite is a little tougher, and they're pressure biting, I think Florocarbon gives me a bit of an edge. (can feel the bite better.)

One thing I know for sure. When I'm out of tune and not focused,:confused:
No $200.00 rod, $200.00 reel, or florocarbon line is going to help me feel those fish.

P.s, I hear Oviachic is filling back up :D

·
all gun sales Must go through ffl dealer only, Ple
219 Posts
I like to use a 8 to 12 lbs hiviz mono or fireline crystal with a 10 to 12 foot leader of 10-12 lbs fluorocarbon. I've always done it this way so I have nothing to compare to. But whats using fluoro gonna hurt other than your wallet??? I can tell you fluoro has less stretch so its inherently more sensitive than mono that could be a big factor in catching or not catching fish alone especially in deeper water. but to each his own

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I was fishing with my buddy last week for stripers and I was using flouro while he had mono on one and floro on the other. Didn't seem to matter and he actually caught the biggest couple fish. Might be more of a correct depth situation but I don't know.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just started using flouro in the last year and would use it every time. At night it is not as much a visibility thing as it is sensitivity and sink rate. I can use a thicker flouro and lighter weights and because it sinks easier than mono get down to the bottom quicker. Also, as onthefly stated some of my fishing partners with mono(filament)-thought that sentenced sounded bad- seem to have more fish swallowing the hooks. I think it is due to a lack in sensitivity and not feeling the bite in deep water

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Flouro doesn't mean a thing at night. But in bright sun light it can really help change things. Off shore it pretty much the only way to save a picky bite, at night it's a total waste of time.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Not really. It is more sensitive than mono. Why wouldn't you. I"ve felt that telltale tick on the line during the day and my line never moved. My finger is always touching the line.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Using fluoro at night is all about sensitivity not fish seeing it (right on Paul and Tumbo), altough it may help with full moon (especially with slow baits vs. reaction baits). The same reason braid is good. You can feel everything much better than mono which, after you use the others, feels mushy, especially fishing it deep. At least that is my experience and the same reason (plus visibility) that I use it for bottom dragging and DS during the day.

Tight lines!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts