Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys feel is an appropriate amount of money to give a boater after sharing his boat as non-boater in a tournament? Last year was my first year fishing federation tmx as a non-boater and I was never quite sure how much I should give the guy. A few times the guy wouldn't take any money, a few gave me part of what I gave back, and a few kept what I gave. Just curious what some of you guys felt was a fair price after a day on the lake.

G

·
When I fished Everstart last year as a backseater I offered $20 each day to the pro, but neither one would take it. What matters is that you made the attempt to share some expenses. Rich

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Carpio
it all depends, in a shared wight tourny and your partner put you on fish give him more, if he absoluetly sucks give him less.

in a separate weight tourny and your boater keeps you from any fishing spots demand a $20 from him for being a prick.

if the boater actually puts you on fish give him some money.

Its nice to at least offer for gas, you would be suprised to the people that dont offer at least some for gas. most people wont take a dime. its the thought that counts.

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks delw.

I was actually only thinking about the gas part of it. I hadn't thought about 'if the guy put me on fish'. So far I really haven't had a boater put me on fish so that hasn't been an issue.

I did fish with a guy that ended up pitching tules at Havasu and he went very slowly and basically had the first pitch into every spot. I ended up netting a pretty hefty bag that day for him. By watching him I did learn quite abit about pitching, but the whole day I felt like I was just along for the ride (it was like he knew where he was going and how he was going to fish and if I wanted to fish also, then that would be OK). I didn't end up giving that guy very much and I did feel kinda bad -hell maybe he should have given me money for netting the fish.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have fished as a backseater in ProAms from 96-01, in AZ and NorCA. I almost always offered $20/day. If we ran far and caught lots of fish I gave maybe 10 extra. It was funny, if we did great(got a check) or did horrible/dude didnt have a thing going, they never accepted.

I have held a boat all day for a guy fishing a bed for fish that wouldnt look at the bait, then the next day a diff. boater had me up front taking turns stickin the bedfish(sorry Delw), what a stud!

Then I had a dude tell me that he was in 20th place in the standings and had a chance to get in the top 5. He didnt want me to fish until he had his 20lb sac, which by the way, his "fish" would "turn on" at noon and never did. I weighed more then him that day.

I think its important to always make the offer, for 1 thing its expensive to own a boat and 2 you never know what the boater will say to others about you. It sucks to be the one that others say is cheap or tight or sucks to draw.

BTW, I was traveling w/a boater to tournaments and remember a comment he made about one of his draws.... After the weigh in I asked how his partner(Am) did, he said he was a #$$%@* and went on about the dude. Later while driving home he told me how great the AM was and stuff. I learned that the AM had given him 20bones right before we left the lake and that had changed his whole attitude about the guy.

Anyways $20/day.... and I got more stories!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well .....

Lets see here... Your fishing in a $25 -$50,000 bassboat thats not yours,your not paying insurance or interest on that boat, your learning from a hopefully pro angler and your getting a lesson in tournament fishing. I would think you would want to pay for at least half the gas and what ever else you deem fit and he gets to go home and wash and vaccum the boat. When you start fishing the pro side I think you may feel the same way.
Bass,gas or cash, nobody rides free,
Darryl

·
Registered
351 Posts
Darryl, its not a rule in any proam to pay the boater, it is suggested to offer some gas money tho. As far as insurance, thats about $0.75/day. Boater has his fees, nonboater has his fees, period. Its only ethical to help cover some of the gas/oil/launch fees.

G

·
I do agree with Darryl that it is very expensive for us boat owners to own and operate a boat. There are many expenses including, payment, insurance, gas, oil, etc….and this is the same for the tow vehicle as well….Not to mention the wear and tear that is put on them and the maintenance expenses. And though the non-boater is not responsible for most of those expenses, he should be aware that they exist and be grateful that he has the opportunity to share the boat with his partner.

I personally never accept a dime from my non-boaters but I think it’s a good gesture to offer. However if they ever offer to pick up the tab for lunch or coffee I let them. Also, I have been very lucky in that many of my partners readily share their equipment and tackle with me and freely give me many bait’s to use (and lose).

One thing all non boaters should do is to help with the launch / recovery of the boat, help wipe down the boat and clean up the inside after a day on the water…. Return the vessel as you found it.

Dan

Great Back Deck Etiquette Article

http://www.fishsniffer.com/guest/tc071000backdeck.html

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
20 is the ideal min. if you really benifited from the pro's gameplan offer more. daryl, what can i say man, you want me to cover room/board, food/drink etc. also? i sense a little ART BERRY syndrome. if your pro is a smuck still offer him the 20 min. but don't forget to throw in your biast opinion of his handy work!

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Since I live about 45 miles from Saguaro, here's my breakdown:

$15.00 - gas for the tow vehicle, roundtrip (actual).
$6.00 - parking (actual).
$5.00 - outboard motor gas and oil (guesstimate).
----------
$26.00

I appreciate it when my non-boat partner offers me$10, $15, or $20 for expenses. Every little bit helps. There are other expenses, not mentioned, that I pay on my own. 8)

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
lone ranger your boat must get good gas mileage because i spend more than 5 bucks a day just for oil and 20+ bucks for gas

G

·
$5.00...Shit that's what it takes to get my boat on plane. Your typical 150 HP outboard only gets 3 or 4 miles a gallon. I usally go through about $20.00 to $25.00 a day, depending on how much running and gunning I do.

Dan

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have to agree w/Delw on this one... The boater is the man, he better go out there, catch the fish and cash a check. If a NO-boat, as I prefer to call them, happens to put a few in the sack, even better. And he MIGHT have learned something, to boot. Darryl, if you AND your partner (now that all fees are halved) cash a check, how much are you gonna kick to the no-boat if he catches all the fish ya'll weigh? or if you use just one of his fish? Its only fair right? That may be a little extreme, but trying to make a point...

oh and by the way, who's paying half for his ride to the lake?

·
Registered
175 Posts
fgjfd67

Yes if were sharing a room, split that too. I think board means food and drink in which case if we are eating together yes, split that too. My boat gets 3.4 miles to the gal. If I'm taking a non boater in a tournament heor she is paying half of fuel. On the little lakes in the valley in doesn't matter but on the Delta or mississippi river you sometimes half to refuel during a tourney and 48 gals. at $2.00 per gal gets spendy. Last tourney on the Delta we went 372 miles in two days thats alot of money for me.
Darryl

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
I always try to at least pay the lake entrance fee. Sometimes a brotha is broke, ya know? :wink: When Im at the tackle shop and I see a good deal on things, I try to pick up a few extras to give to the boaters I fish with. My tackle box is their tackle box. I also give my boaters backrubs and sing to them.(Rackman and MultipleMigs only, nobody else appreciates my singing :shock: ). Okay no backrubs, unless Im fishing with the Playboy Bunny bass team. What Im trying to say is as a non boater you GOTTA understand that the boater is paying a lot of $$$ to catch these little green fish and any help, financially or any other way, is always appreciated.

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
First off let me say.........being a non-boater sucks.....

I say you offer the guy half the expenses just as long as he doesn't backseat you, if he does, he gets nothing......as for learning from a pro in a tourney, I always drew guys that fished in texas, florida, and iowa, and they were asking me questions about our ways out west, so I think the learning goes both ways, I just hate guys that think they know everything because it's there boat(Darryl) :p But seriously I have fished alot of pro-ams, and half the guys I drew were cool, the rest were jaskasses, still debating the WON bass pro-am at Pleasant coming up.......

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
When taking a backseater fun fishing I do not take $$ since I am going anyways with or without them,though a couple have Forced $$ on me or hidden it in my truck(and look where that got you Rookie boy!)though The tourney thing is a whole different ball game. I usually just enjoy the company.

·
Registered
175 Posts
WTF

WTF Franklin, I said the same things that you said. Wouldn't it be the same as, Hey...... I'm going to El Salto next month,since I'm going anyway does anybody want to come for free????I'm sorry that you have the impression that I think I know it all that is not true. The fellow asked for opinions and I stated mine,which happens to be the same as yours. I should have stated from the begining that I'm not from around here,that is the way I am used to and have never heard of any other way. But I get the impression, that its done a little different in Arizona. Which doesn't mean thats its either right or wrong.
Tight lines Franklin,
Darryl
P.S. Did you imply Franklin, that you hate me? I feel sorry for you that you can use that term so loosely. As for myself I have no feelings for anybody until I engage them in conversation or until there is concrete negative proof against that person. Have a nice day. I hope we can fish together someday.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts