Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so they don't make paper beads but when you guys c-rig, (or any time you use a bead) do you prefer glass or plastic beads? Is there a time when you MUST use glass or does it matter to you?

The reason I ask this is I've been having problems with glass beads breaking from time to time. No need to tell you broken glass is rough on your line... I just bought a bunch of clear plastic beads. Also, do you prefer a color to your beads? I don't care so much about the color unless I'm trying to hide it, but just wondering what you all thought about color as well.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
34,659 Posts
Skunked.

I texas rig alot and always use Glass beads, wife and kids bought me plastic ones one day(they got a good deal on them) and they didnt work near as good while night fishing.

I only use clear, there are others that use red and black. This year I am going to try red and see how it goes.
I have never had a bead break yet.

Glass also make a completely different sound
Delw

·
Registered
69 Posts
i perfer glass myself i have used both and found out that glass does perform better color that all depends on what kind of situation im in i like glass for clear water but have used red as well i like black for nite time the most hope this helps :lol:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been using Carolina Crystals as well and I know what my problem is... I've been trying to scale down my rig by using smaller tackle so I've been buying tungsten weights - they're what's breaking the glass so now I'm trying to decide if I want to keep with those with plastic or just go back to bigger lead or brass sinkers. The tungsten breaks the .8mm easier but it still breaks the .10mm beads as well. I also use red or green and I have some black ones as well.
Thanks for your input guys!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Hey I think that glass works the best The only problem i have had with them breaking is when I'M using tungsten weights. I perfer clear or green as I have found that you get a lot more weight hits when using red. If you continue to have a problem with them breaking try to go to a small brass piece between the swivel and weight. As fa as bulk go to staminainc.com or to your local bead shop they have em a lot cheaper. hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Beads Galore!!! you can get the same glass beads for like 1/4 of the price, they also have Brass....you walk in and its amazing how much cheaper it is to buy beads that arent marked for "bass fishing" same bead 2 bucks different........things that make you go hummmm????

·
Premium Member
34,659 Posts
I have 1000's of glass beads, I posted the price in the forsale section its been a good 2-3 weeks.

Delw

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Hmm...I haven't thought much about the subject. I've used clear, red, and black...I think they are all plastic. Jim Johnson, a fishing friend of mine keeps telling me, "Quit worrying about these side issues. Just throw the wrong bait in the right spot and you'll catch fish." I think he got that from either Floyd Prees (sp?) or Fred Ward. 8)

G

·
Paper or plastic

You might want to try the hematite beads with your tungsten weights. It is a hard, shiny black mineral that "clicks" better than plastic (and glass), and doesn't break or cut your line like the glass beads. They are primarily used for making jewelry and can be found at crafts stores. Rod

G

·
paper or plastic

No problemo, I just wish I could figure out how they drill that small, smooth hole through the beads. That stuff is HARD!

G

·
paper or plastic

No problemo, I just wish I could figure out how they drill that small, smooth hole through the beads. That stuff is HARD!

G

·
Glass has a hardness of 5.5 to 6.0 on the Moh's scale, a standard for comparing the hardness of minerals..

Hematite has a hardness of 6.0 to 6.5.

Diamonds are 10. Corundum is 9. A human finger nail is only 2.5.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.