Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading there this weekend and thought I would take 1 and cook it up! So whats the best way other then smokin it: Jerk-it

·
Registered
225 Posts
Though I rarely keep fish, I am not above cooking one up on occasion for the camping trip… I am the old butter and flour guy… Smaller pike are better; less bones to contend with. If you like true fishy type taste, leave the skin on; if not rip it off. As soon as the fish dies (better still you kill it) get rid of the head as to bleed it; otherwise it can give you an interesting pikey taste…

Big thing is there are tons o bones; even making it difficult to fillet. Just pay attention to flake it out when you eat it rather than cutting it…

Pike actually taste pretty ok…

Just don't eat that one you you caught last time...:shock:

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Just filet it like you would a bass. when your done cut the filets into smaller pieces and take any extra bones out. They actually fry up nicely. Enjoy!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Pike are awsome eating fish. Dredge em in flour and fry them in oil-butter mixture. Very flaky and great eating fish. You tube has some good videos on how to fillet them so you get all the bones.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
The y bones are a pain. In the midwest we normaly run the fillets thru a grinder and make fish patties. When fried up good, the pieces of bone are crispy and go down easy. Or we cut the meat into small pieces and pickle it. Comes out better than the herring you get at the store.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Ya...I would say dredge them in flour and fry the crap out of them. When done, throw them in the garbage and head to your local Red Lobster. Even their fish tastes better than Pike. I don't think my cat would even eat it!

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
you can also wrap them in foil with butter, onion, garlic. and slow cook them over the fire. i also add crushed red pepper, and a little black pepper sometimes depending on how spicy i feel like eating it.

....edit.....

forgot to say walleye are the tastiest fish ever made!!! and i also prefer them over pike. and the flour and butter method is the tastiest way to eat them. imho

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Pike definitely have a strong fishy taste, even if you get the skin off right away. By adding lots of spices and such, you can disguise the taste. Prefer eating Walleye, Perch, panfish and cats than Pike. But each to their own.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Huh...I dunno that I've ever had a Pike that tasted "fishy"...not as far back as I can remember. I suppose it could be how they were cooked?

·
Registered
172 Posts
You are high! Take care of them like any other fish and fillet them right to get the bones out and they are great eating fish. I'm from the midwest and alot of people from that part of the country have it in their heads that northerns are trash fish. The meat is tender and flaky and definitely good to eat. Sound like some of you might have had badly prepared fish. I go to Minnesota every summer to fish and eat plenty of pike. Good stuff!

·
Resident Spammer
1,907 Posts
Deep Fry @ 375 Degrees In Vegetable Oil..

"The secret's in the taste. The magic's in the value!"

Create delicious meals for your family with Fryin' Magic Seasoned Coating Mix! The delicious blend of herbs and spices perfectly compliments chicken, fish, pork, and vegetables. And it's a great value! A box of Fryin' Magic coats three times more than 5.5-oz. Shake 'n Bake® or 4.2-oz. Oven Fry® for less money. And imagine! The 16-oz., recloseable carton of Fryin' Magic coats over 50 pieces of chicken!

Fryin' Magic All-Purpose Seasoned Coating Mix makes for fabulous you-name-it main courses, side dishes, and snacks - chicken, pork chops, fish, potatoes, chicken nuggets, zucchini, onion rings, and more! And cook any way you like - oven bake, oven fry, pan fry, or deep fry.

http://www.littlecrowfoods.com/products/fryin_magic/

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
There are some videos on the net, youtube I think, that show you how to fillet pike. From what I hear, the taste is in the same class as walleye, which are also in the pike family. And you can fillet them so you get no bones.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts