Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well got home a bit late but went out and took my dad and a friend up to plez last night. Launched around 10 p.m at the north ramp in the marina and headed to the tires. Few guys there already, one in the normal spot I fish but the lake is lower now so anchored off in about 50 feet. Friend got one the second we put in but then died for 20 mins for no reason. Picked back up about 11:30 started caching some dinks but not very many. Was a slow night with the wind picking up about 2:30 a.m. Caught about 40 dinks and a 10 pound carp. Once the sun came up went inside the marina for some of the top water near the entrance and trolled up and down with no takers alot of busting in that lil area (think they were all dinky stripes and whitebass, with some LM mixed in). Next went back to the North ramp to fish the cove had allot of boils around the boat mostly in open water. Dad hooked up to a LM about a pound and a half, got a few busts near the short but they were all dinky from the spawn. The weather was kinda wierd from the past few times I went in the last few weeks, kinda chilly and not too breezy. I normally get alota dinks over a hundred or so but tonight was wierd. Got off the lake around 7:00 a.m. I have been using shrimp for all the dinks 61-70 count becasue I think they have been taking it better than the anchovies lately and they are less messy than chovies. Caught the carp on a piece of anchovie (normally leave a catfish line out with a whole anchovie). Used 4" zoom smokin shad and a couple other soft plastics for top water. Over all was one of the worst nights I have had in awhile but I think with the weather being kinda funny this past week make the fish scater from the tire area, A full moon normally doesnt affect my fishing very much.
Got home ate a sandwhich and went to sleep for a few hours. Mmmmmmm hoagie.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I had the same luck when I was out there this week... It was Monday nite, didn't have very much shad around the lights and the fish were definitely less condensed as opposed to other times. Between my friend and I we had about 40 as well, most took approx. 1-2 seconds to reel out of the water because they were so god damn small. Right before we left though I cut up a small one and used it for bait and managed to land a 4lber.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know I think you need to look at this a different way. 40 bites no matter what it is a good day or night. You were fishin bud... I wasn't.
Well 40 isn't very many for me I had hundreds last week and have been on crazy numbers for the past couple years. I kept over a thousand strippers last year so 40 to me is still pretty bad considering all the thousands of dinks there are.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the same luck when I was out there this week... It was Monday nite, didn't have very much shad around the lights and the fish were definitely less condensed as opposed to other times. Between my friend and I we had about 40 as well, most took approx. 1-2 seconds to reel out of the water because they were so god damn small. Right before we left though I cut up a small one and used it for bait and managed to land a 4lber.
Haha I did the same thing took a small one and filleted it to see if it would work and haha the other lil suckers stared pecking at it. I will see next time if a cat or big carp will take a whole fillet. But that would save you on chum and bait if they will eat there own.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Another member posted regarding that. May wanna check the legality of that method before posting about it. Don't want another "sling-shot" story. Not sure why it wouldn't be legal. You can spear fish them. Do you ALWAYS get the fish you hit? No. Some get away injured and I am sure die elsewhere. There isn't even a limit on them so should it be legal to use them as bait.....................yep. Does it work.................yep. Same as using perch in Lake Erie and Canada years ago to catch much bigger perch though
G-pa told me it was illegal(only cuz as a 10 year old while in Canada I would catch little ones, cut them up and sell them for bait to buy worms). lol

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another member posted regarding that. May wanna check the legality of that method before posting about it. Don't want another "sling-shot" story. Not sure why it wouldn't be legal. You can spear fish them. Do you ALWAYS get the fish you hit? No. Some get away injured and I am sure die elsewhere. There isn't even a limit on them so should it be legal to use them as bait.....................yep. Does it work.................yep. Same as using perch in Lake Erie and Canada years ago to catch much bigger perch though
G-pa told me it was illegal(only cuz as a 10 year old while in Canada I would catch little ones, cut them up and sell them for bait to buy worms). lol
Oic thx ill hit up the G&FD to see on the subject.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts