Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WE FINALY GOT OUR PONTOON PUT TOGETHER. WE GOT 35MPA OUT OF THE BEAST. IT WON'T TAKE US ALL DAY TO GET AROUND POWELL. WITH THE 4FT FRONT DECK, LOTS OF ROOM TO CAST TO THE BOILS .
BOILS.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Where's the BBQ grill?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IT'S SITTING BEHIND THE ANCOR WINCH. THE FISH CLEANING STATION AND BARBQ SETS IN THE LEFT FRONT CORNER. WE HAVE RUNNING WATER , WE PUT AN INVERTER SO WE HAVE AN ELECTRIC COFFE POT. YOU GET LAZYER OR SMATTER IN YOUR OLD AGE.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Very nice. I have thought about doing one myself, was it difficult?

What is that between the 2 pontoon's?
Is it riding low in the back?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Great job Dave. Contrats. You will enjoy the stripers even more!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Dave, that is awesome! This is something I want to do one day when I have the room and the time. Can you give us a summary of what all is involved, the costs associated with it, etc?

What are the specs on the boat/motor?

Would love to see more pics...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WE HAVE A 200HP MERC ON IT. I BLEW THE LOWER UNIT IN MAY AT POWELL. THE CENTER TOON FILLED WITH WATER AGIN. WE HAD THE BOAT.

$3000 IN ALUM.
$480 FOR NEW LOWER UNIT
$800 FOR ALUM WIRE FEED FOR OUR WELDER.
$260 FOR NEW PITCH PROPS. WELL GET THIS WEEK.
$$$ ????

WHEN WE GET BACK ON THE LAKE. STORY WILL CONTINUE.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
THE CENTER TOON FILLED WITH WATER AGIN. WE HAD THE BOAT.
Why? Did you have a bad weld? Curious since I have begun playing with aluminum boat building myself in the last year or two.

Did you weld, back chip and reverse weld all your seams like Pollard suggests in his book?

What thickness aluminum did you use on your pontoons?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
THE OTHER PONTOON WAS A ROUND ONE WE BOUGHT WAS TO SMALL AND THIN FOR THE WIEGHT WE CARRY. WAS UP AT PLEZ ONE DAY AND HAD A BIG WAVE PICK US UP AND SLAMMED US AND BENT IT. COULDN'T KEEP IT FROM LEAKING AFTER THAT. THE NEW ONE IS 3/16 THICK. A LITTLE HEAVY BUT TOM LIKES TO OVER ENGINER. IT'S EASER TO WELD. WE HAD A FRIEND COME OUT AND WELD THE SECTIONS TOGETHER. HE GOT EVERY THING SET UP FOR US. AFTER THAT WITH A LITTLE PRACTICE WASN'T TO BAD. I TOOK WELDING CLASSES ABOUT 25 YEARS AGO. WE ALSO PUT TUBES IN EVER SECTION WITH A PUMP IN CASE WE GET ANY LEAKS.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
3/16" aluminum, Holly crap man you built a battleship. Lots of staorage possibilities in that center pontoon. Is it used for that?

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
THE OTHER PONTOON WAS A ROUND ONE WE BOUGHT WAS TO SMALL AND THIN FOR THE WIEGHT WE CARRY. WAS UP AT PLEZ ONE DAY AND HAD A BIG WAVE PICK US UP AND SLAMMED US AND BENT IT. COULDN'T KEEP IT FROM LEAKING AFTER THAT. THE NEW ONE IS 3/16 THICK. A LITTLE HEAVY BUT TOM LIKES TO OVER ENGINER. IT'S EASER TO WELD. WE HAD A FRIEND COME OUT AND WELD THE SECTIONS TOGETHER. HE GOT EVERY THING SET UP FOR US. AFTER THAT WITH A LITTLE PRACTICE WASN'T TO BAD. I TOOK WELDING CLASSES ABOUT 25 YEARS AGO. WE ALSO PUT TUBES IN EVER SECTION WITH A PUMP IN CASE WE GET ANY LEAKS.
Yeah, 1/8 is about the smallest I can weld myself without a backer plate. (Miller dual gun MIG)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts