Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is what's happening. My truck is a 99 F150 with a 5.4L. It has about 114K miles on it. After sitting at a friends house for a couple days, I go out to start the truck and it cranks over fine but will not start. I smell no gas and I think I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on without cranking it over.
This happened to me a few months ago. It sat for 5 days, same friends house to boot! I had it towed to my house via AAA. I get the truck to my house and it starts right up. It's been starting fine the last few months.
So here I sit at my friends house in AJ with a dead truck. I'll have it towed to my house in Tempe tomorrow.
So any ideas, fuel pump maybe?
Might be time for a visit to "Mr Bass" Kurt on tuesday.
John

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sounds like you have an intermittent contact problem in the crankshaft position sensor. A cheap part to replace. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
sounds like your life partner....er.... i mean.... friend doesn't wish you to leave him. maybe if you two would sit and talk about his separation anxieties you could work it out and save $ on the towing bills......just sayin'...

JK got no idea...

·
Registered
410 Posts
sounds like your life partner....er.... i mean.... friend doesn't wish you to leave him. maybe if you two would sit and talk about his separation anxieties you could work it out and save $ on the towing bills......just sayin'...
:Iconrotfl:Iconrotfl:Iconrotfl:1popcorn:

·
Registered
115 Posts

JK got no idea...

sounds like you had this problem before

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
You wrote that is started up after towing to your house but have you ever let it sit at your house for 5 days and see if the problem happens then?

good point.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You wrote that is started up after towing to your house but have you ever let it sit at your house for 5 days and see if the problem happens then?
No I haven't let it sit for 5 days at my house. The first time this happened, I wrote it off as maybe a vapor lock, or ? It fired right up when it got to my house via the AAA tow.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like you have an intermittent contact problem in the crankshaft position sensor. A cheap part to replace. Good luck.
Is this sensor a relay or part I can tap on lyazchamp? I have no idea where this is located.
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I read up on the crankshaft position sensor. I think it is this part that's bad.
I have to find where's it's located now and check the connections.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If the sensor was bad it would throw a code and the ck engine light would be on.
No code ever came up nor the check engine light.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
So this is what's happening. My truck is a 99 F150 with a 5.4L. It has about 114K miles on it. After sitting at a friends house for a couple days, I go out to start the truck and it cranks over fine but will not start. I smell no gas and I think I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on without cranking it over.
This happened to me a few months ago. It sat for 5 days, same friends house to boot! I had it towed to my house via AAA. I get the truck to my house and it starts right up. It's been starting fine the last few months.
So here I sit at my friends house in AJ with a dead truck. I'll have it towed to my house in Tempe tomorrow.
So any ideas, fuel pump maybe?
Might be time for a visit to "Mr Bass" Kurt on tuesday.
John

I had the same problem with my 99 Ford. I have a friend who works for FORD and it took him a couple attempts to find the problem. Water was getting on the the back of the fuse block. He cleaned it and put electric grease on the back, I have not had a problem since.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts