Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lurking and learning for about a year, this is my first post. I am new to fishing and appreciate the all the fishing advise, you guys have accounted for atleast a few of the fish I have caught. I have too many questions on fishing so I won't even start with that yet and reveal my ignorance.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a new prop for my 2002 Tracker Proteam 175 with a Mercury 40hp 2 stroke. I banged it up at Pleasant this weekend. It looks pretty bad but doesn't seem to perform any different, no vibration and no top speed issues. If I do replace it I would love to improve my top end a bit. Right now I max out at 25mph with 2 people (not even close to the 40mph in a previous post). This is my first boat, I have had it close to 9 months, if I am as addicted to this sport in about a year I will probably upgrade so I don't want to dump a bunch of money in it.

By the way I did manage four fish 3 lm on a ds around the S and one pretty good striper on topwater. That thing swallowed my whole popper.

Thanks in advance

John

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
go 13 -14 oitch,i would,my 25 that im selling is running a 13p

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Mine will ONLY run worth a damn with a 10¾x13P prop on it. I've tried several others, including the CompProp 4 blades, and went right back to the original.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I've seen 34 on GPS with the 14P prop, but took forever to get on plane with it. I get 25-28 on GPS with the 13P, and a much better holeshot.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Don't run a damaged prop if there is any more than a dinged edge. File off the major dings and throw it in the boat for a spare if you really screw up a prop. Lost blade or it looks like a piece of bacon. For an after market prop, I'd recommend a Turning Point Hustler for an aluminum prop, they're ported for a little better hole shot and lower speed plane. Stainless would be a waste of money on a 40. You can get the prop and hub kit at iboats.com for a little over $90.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Looks like I will look at the 10.75x13. I will check out that site hopefully I can get this shipped to me before the weekend.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I POSTED LAST WEEK GO TO IBOAT.COM. I GOT THE ONE WITH THE REPLACEABLE HUB. THAT MAKES THE REPACEMENT ALOT CHEAPER. I GOT A REPLACEMENT FOR MY 75 FORCE FOR $66 DELIVERED.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I gave you the wrong diameter - mine is a 10 3/8", not a 10 3/4" diameter.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How long does iboat.com take? I will be climbing the walls if I miss a weekend. Not to mention if possible I would like to support the local economy. I'll check out Mike as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Don't run a damaged prop if there is any more than a dinged edge. File off the major dings and throw it in the boat for a spare if you really screw up a prop. Lost blade or it looks like a piece of bacon. For an after market prop, I'd recommend a Turning Point Hustler for an aluminum prop, they're ported for a little better hole shot and lower speed plane. Stainless would be a waste of money on a 40. You can get the prop and hub kit at iboats.com for a little over $90.
In general I would agree. A stainless on small boat/outboard is a waste of money. There are some small excpetions. In sandbar country and lots of shallow water running a stainless will keep going when an aluminum grinds right off. If there are rocks the aluminum is cheaper to throw away though. LOL.

On my little Waco the 50 HP Merc performs noticeably better with a stainless though. On the other hand its a lighter smaller boat, and the 50 its rated for might realistically be a pushing it. (yes it hits 40 (OK under ideal circumstances)) It also turns a 16 pitch stainless prop.

Seriously though. Del is right. Stainless is mostly a waste on small boat/outboard combos. I run an aluminum on the Force 50 (same boat) and it runs great and its cheap.

Props Plus is a great vendor though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts