Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you pour, can you give me a few of the pros and cons? Im trying to justify pouring my own....besides something to keep me busy on friday nights! :lol:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Im new to the pouring of your oun baits as well. I guess its neat to know yopu made the bait that cought your fish. Im note sure if cost wise there is any benifit. But you sure can make alot of colores you wont find in the stores. Some work,and others havent worked yet. It is fun to experment with differant colors,fleck and sence.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I always come up with some funky color ideas. I buy too many plastic, if I made my own, well, I wont buy too many more! Not trying to save money though, but not trying to waste any either...I do know lurecraft is a good place for molds.....but thats about it. Im curious how people make bloodlines and stuff.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Jason when you come over I can do bloodlines and suspended lines better than robo, its all in technique my friend, there is some other really cool stuff you can do as well, I have a double pour station which makes doin these easier and better looking.

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that sounds cool... Franklin showed me some of your worms and they looked killer. If I do end up pouring my own stuff, Im going to make sure all the worms I give him are Sunblock Impregnated :lol:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I can do it, so it's easy. You get such satisfaction when you catch a big fish on something you made yourself. It is very cheap to do also. I'd recomend it for anyone. Josh

·
Registered
346 Posts
Flippin Stick/poured baits.

I have poured some of my own in the past as well. The one problem I have is they are to soft. Is this not "cooking" the plastic longer enoough? And I want to try and pour some with hooks already in them. Have you tried this? What type of line should I use to tie the 2 hooks together, and can stnd the heat of the hot plastic when it is poured?
Jeff

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Azsportsman,
I'm not an expert but I think if you just bought a different kind of plastic (a harder plastic) it might solve your problem.
Also, be very carfull when you pour. Make sure you have a good setup were you wont trip on any wires or touch the burner. I had an ugly accident this summer because I wasn't paying attention and my arm touched the hot burner when I had a pan of plastic in my hand. The plastic went flying onto my arm and I've got the scars to prove it. And I will forever.
Josh

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Azsportsman
I have never poured with hooks already in so I dont know how this is done, to make my double hooked worms I just bought a line threader and ran the line in the middle of the plastic and has worked no problem for me, but easier to just use Franklins Wired worm collection. As for being to soft I dont think it has anything to do with how long you "cooked"the stuff it all depends on how much hardener is in the mix you are making, It should be printed on the side of the bottle on how hard the mixture is such as soft, super soft, hard etc.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Jason I will get a station ready just for you, I will have the sunblock and pachulie oil(may be known as hippie oil)mixed for you and ready to go just for your special needs.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
AzSportsman.

It sounds like you didnt stir the plastic enough before you heated it. if its lure craft plastic drop some nuts in there and shake it very well Lure cfart plastic hard settles and the hardener goes to the bottom.

I doubt you didnt cook it enough. did you add any softener? if you did you could have added tomuch.

To cook it properly.
keep heating it till it gels always stirring, then after it gels it will go clear and get thinner, when its completely clear and thin its ready to pour.

here are some pouring sites
www.tacklemaking.com
www.tackleunderground.com

there great sites with alot of info.

As far as pouring with hooks you have to have a way to hold the hooks up(molds with hook rings).
If your pouring westy and or wired worm style baits, you cant use mono for the leader between 2 hooks you need to use wire and or braided line. Mono will melt.

Westys are threaded after the worm is done cureing which is the easiest way to do it.
you can make a pocket for the jig head to set in and then pour the worm. then thread the back hook in it.

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
346 Posts
Delw,

thanks for the advice. It is lure craft and I will have to try the nuts. Didn't add any softner. I figured as much with the mono melting. Never thought of threading it after the fact. I will try that. Thanks

AZ

G

·
hand pours

Make sure you have very good ventilation, breathing PVC plastic fumes is definately hazardous to your health.
Just ask my Pulmanoligist. cough cough.'

Frank :(

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah the fumes are gonna be a problem. I will probably have to do mine on my patio since I have an apartment. People already think Im wierd b/c I fish in the swimming pool. Now their gonna think I have a meth lab on my porch :shock:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts