Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently am looking at purchasing a 1997 Ranger 519DVX w/ 225 OptiMax... for around $24k. Anyone know anything about this particular model?

Thanks, for your Help!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just going to ask for input on how to sell my 02 Ranger 205 VS with 225 Optimax. To let you know how I feel about Ranger and the 225 Optimax, I recently purchased a 2004 23' Ranger Bay boat with 225 Optimax as well. Momma isn't happy about having both, and I make my living out of the later. I may look a little funny fishing occasional bass tournaments out of a bay boat, but it makes more sense than keeping both. If you or anyone else is interested, 32K obo, and I will deliver it. I bought it new 9 months ago from Sunland Marine. It's a "Ranger Cup" boat with matching twin axle/brakes trailer, 2 garmin 240's, minnkota, 3 bank charger, etc....all the whistles and bells.

To answer your original question without the added sales pitch, I don't think you can go wrong with the boat you are referring to.

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
I agree...granted that's a lot of boat and motor but you should, at least, consider a new boat for near that same price. Maybe drop a foot or two and drop 50 HP??? The advantage...5-7 years extended warranty right now! It's a piece of mind and assurance. JMHO

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
That boat sounds like a good deal and the price seems close to right. the best way to get a feel for the going price's is to but a boat trader and look around in there. That motor alone is expensive. see what kinda upgrades it has like graphs, trolling motor batteries etc, just graphs alone will set you back 800 bucks each for good ones then the install .

Delw

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
$24K sounds a bit high for a 1997. I agree with Del. Check out the asking prices in www.boattraderonline.com. I bought a pre-owned 1999 20'6" DVS Ranger with a 1999 225 hp Merc Optimax for $27,750 full equiped. It was kept in the former owner's lake-house garage, used very few times each summer in Minneapolis, and didn't have a scratch on it. Because it was like new for a 4-year old boat, I did not mind paying the price for it. I believe you get what you pay for to some degree. 8)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Disregard what NADA says. It (NADA) only helps when it comes to getting a loan, if needed. Otherwise, it is not in the buyers favor. Pay what the market is bearing, and, right now, it's a buyers market. Shop around and you will find a 519 DVS can be had at less, much less, then the asking price of this rig. I researched them during my search and this seems excessively high to me. You can't go wrong w/ a Ranger, generally speaking. It's a different story on HOW the Ranger was treated, though. Make absolutely sure you have a mechanic check out that Opti. Like some Fichts, they have had thier share of problems, especially in the early years, which applies here. Good luck!

·
Registered
907 Posts
I bought a 99 Ranger, 519 DVS w/225 OPTI in June of 03. While looking for a boat I found 3 the same year and model for sale all about the same price. I had the one I liked the best taken to Tempe Marine to get it checked out. Everything was fine and the owner had it tuned, gear lube done, and the impeller replaced, before I took possession. I paid $25,000.00 and feel it was a good price. The boat has worked out perfectly. Do as the others have suggested, check web sites, buy a trader and keep looking, make sure you get time on the water too. Don't jump at the first one you see.
Good Luck, Joe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
check out the classifieds in Northern California section of www.ncbf.com I know many of those boats for sale would come down in the next few weeks for the WON proam at Pleasant or Everstart at Havafew. good luck

kk

·
Registered
417 Posts
People are, and have been, giving their boats away. I have friends that have been trying to sell their boats for years. Like a couple of posters have stated already, take your time, take a test ride, have it checked by a mechanic, and do not jump at the first deal. Right now, you can demand the price. If they do not like it then move on to the next sale. There are many to chose from.

Later, Dreamer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ranger

This is a nice boat, I have a 98 519 DVS and has plenty of storage and a very stable platform. Can't go wrong with the Ranger quality. I would agree with the rest of the folks here in that the price seems a little steep. I have the 225 EFI but paid a lot less then that 2 years ago for mine with a two year warranty on the engine at the time.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
You can't go wrong with a ranger!!! Is the boat one that a dealer has on consinment or a used boat they are trying to sell or is it a private owner. Normaly for this price if it's a dealer they will add things such as a tune up, lower unit oil change water pump replacement etc. I would suggest that you take it to sunland marine as they are a ranger mercurey dealer and have them check the boat over. Although the 500 series boats aren't known for having any kind of problems. Also what kind of excceseries does the boat have. you can get these boats cheaper with nothing on them but start to add a few items and you can make the differance up in a big hurry. These are great boats for ride, finish and quality, they are however not the fastest boats on the lake. I would also not recomend anything but an optimax they get great fuel economy and are durable. I have over 300 hours of hard tournament time on mine and the only thing I have ever done is change the plugs and done the normal maint stuff. (One thing that does help the speed is a jack plate) Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Riggin-1 ... The boat is on consignment at Sunland Marine. Which from what I hear, I can;t go wrong with this dealer. They have done all the maintance on it themselves. It has all the upgrades you can think of, tilt steering, hydralic steering, gps, motorized up/down TM, nice boat in my opinion. I have not even test driven it yet. So that would be the next step.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
So this boat is privately owned but at the dealer to sell for the owner? Would you have to pay the sales tax if the dealer sells this private boat to you? That would amount to $1600-$1800 extra if you have to pay sales tax. Another thing, dealer demo boats are out in the AZ sunshine 3-5 days per week versus being in someone's garage 5-6 times per week out of the sun. That is a consideration also if you're buying a dealer demo, plus you pay the 7-8% sales tax.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If this is the boat I think it is it is the budwiser boat. Owened by david fanarow. He owens essox magazine out of wisconsen (Ok I don't know how to spell it) I can tell you it was used very little and is an excellent boat. Yes the fenders on the trailer need some cleaning up but I know the shape of the boat. It is worth the dollars. David was anul about getting all the good stuff and the boat was use very gently. I can tell you that it is worth the $ however see what they will go down to. If you want to go on a test ride in this boat let me know and I will take you out in it and you can find out for yourself. I have no problem letting you run it out (hard) if that is what you would like to do. And no I don't work for Sunland. They have just treated me very very good.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Sorry I'm the one who posted last forgot to log in. (That's what age will do for ya) Yes Sunland will make a few dollars but it won't be the $ lone ranger thinks. As far as being serviced It has already been done. A guy who was fishing everstart blew his moptor up and David let him use his boat on the condition that he pay for the complete service. If you want I will try to find out his name and number and get it for you and let you talk to him about the boat and the dealership. ain't many dealerships that would do this. Course this is what you get with a fullservice dealer Like Sunland. Look let me know and I will help where I can.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.