Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing lots of good things about rip baits but have some questions. First what exactly is a rip bait? Where and how do I fish them? And what kind should i get? Thanks to all replies in advance!

G

·
Rip bait, Jerk bait, stick bait.... It's all the same to me. Rapalas, rogues, VPR, owner, TD minnow, lucky craft, yo zuri... They all make variations of them. You can fish them slow, fast, rip 'em, jerk 'em, etc... Experiment and find out how the fish want them first... Most of the time I'm fishing them relatively medium to fast and moving the bait with the rod only and taking up slack between jerks/rips. The fish will hit when the bait pauses. I've caught fish in open water backs of coves, points, rubble, stickups, you name it. Very versatile reaction bait.

·
Registered
237 Posts
ripbaits

Can't go wrong with Lucky Craft Pointers. They suspend better than most lures but they are expensive. I usually like these baits in the colder months. Parallel cast points, bluffs, cliffs etc. I like to determine how long to pause between moving the lure. Jerk-pause, jerk/jerk-pause, jerk/jerk/jerk-pause. Sometimes it seems like an eternity on the pause. They usually nail it on the pause. We call these lures ripbaits out west and jerkbaits back east.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.