Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just joined the forum. I'm trying to get into bass fishing and learn more about this sport.

I was just wondering if there is a list somewhere of rivers and streams that are good for bass fishing. I know there is a lot of lakes for bass fishing but I don't have a boat and I really like river and stream fishing.

My friend and I went Saturday morning to the upper Salt River, where the bridge is on the way to Young, and fished there in the morning but we only caught 1 bass the whole day (on a dropshotted Robo worm). The water was chock full of some kind of tiny minnows about an inch long, they were everywhere. We would be wading in the water and feel the tickle of them swarming all over pecking at our legs and arms. What the heck are these little guys, and do bass eat them? If so I bet they don't need to look far for food.

Anyway just wondering where I can go to fish for bass. I heard the Black River was good. Anywhere closer to the valley that is good? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Close to town the Salt below Saguaro Lake holds good numbers and some big ones. The Verde where you can find access has smallies and LM, but the biggest thrill IMHO is the Black River in far eastern AZ, starting in the White Mountains. It's full of Small Mouth and they can be caught on spinning as well as fly gear pretty easily.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Wet Beaver Creek off of I-17 at the Sedona exit is a great little Smallmouth stream. take light tackle since they are pretty small but it's a good time. Pick up some of those water shoes and wade in the creek.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Wet Beaver Creek off of I-17 at the Sedona exit is a great little Smallmouth stream. take light tackle since they are pretty small but it's a good time. Pick up some of those water shoes and wade in the creek.
+1 Yeah, forgot about wet beaver

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I hear the gila river is really good. I think down by PIR or that general area. Be sure and post some pics as well as a full report if you fish it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like some great places to try.

I am especially interested in the Gila River as I never knew you could fish there.

Does anyone know how or where to go to access the Gila River for fishing purposes?

Is it on reservation land or will the normal fishing license do?

I found some sites about fishing the Gila River but they all were about New Mexico.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts