Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help on crank/topwater all in one rod. looking at the Imx in 6'. So my question is: which one(rod&model) and should I get a 7'? Reel is either chronarch or calais or Mr. Lucky curado 100 :) I do have a crankbait series but it's my sissy stick (6'med-light) and wont work for an type of Topwater.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hey Guest, It's all a matter of personal preference as far as the rod length for a topwater rod, some guy's like a six some prefer a seven, but if you are interested in a good topwater rod I have a couple of nice All Star rods which are IM10X 7' brand new for fifty bucks, there listed in the for sale section with description, good luck! :lol:
  • "Fish Hard, or don't Fish at All"

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
For a crankbait rod use a graphite glass mix it is best to keep it under 6 foot 6 so you can stick the tip down when cranking. get a moderate action so the tip is almost noodly. that is so when you get a strike you do not rip it out of its mouth. For a top water rod go 6 foot 6 or 7 foot in a light action fast tip. the tip will be soft enough to finness a rico or spook with out ripping it too hard. I try to keep the rear grip under 6 inches, this lets you use your wrist for the action and not your whole arm so the grip does not keep hitting your forearm.

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
Yeah man the "old" Boat Cop knows what he's talking about.......
I personally think the IMX is a bad choice for crank/topwater(I have a couple) because of it's super high modulus nature-it's too stiff, a graphite/glass will work a hell of alot better, and hopefully save you some money, or get an all graphite rod that is specifically built for cranking, they usually have the slow taper, I think..............Franklin

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
I agree with using a softer rod for the cranks. Our 1st trip to Rosey, I got on a 'trap bite, but since I was using my 6' shaking/jig rod, they wouldnt get the hooks too well and I farmed 3 fish on 3 casts. Since I have switched to my 7' light action falcon (Its a Lowrider), I have yet to farm a crank fish. BPS has a sale on a few of their glass/graphite rods right now. I think you can pick one up for about 40 bucks. My old crank rod was a cheapie 6'6" Eagle Claw glass/graphite rod I got at K mart for 19.99 and it worked great till my celing(sp?) fan ate it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts