Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We fished Friday from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. at which time it became very windy. After a very slow first two hours we ended up with 19 very nice crappie. We had 12 on crankbaits and 7 on jigs trolling in 20 to 24 feet of water east of Windy Hill. Over 40 boats out in the "fleet" today......Art

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm mostly using Bill Norman's Baby N's in the sun perch color. Sometimes the shad patterns are very productive also. Thirty inches above the crankbait I tie a 1/4 ounce jig (which also caught a couple of fish today) to help me get the crankbait down to the proper depth......Art

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wow

Art, how do you attach the jig? Straight tie on the line? Leader tied on the jig hook? 3-way swivel?

I've caught crappie at Bartlett trolling a jig, but I never would have thought about using a crankbait with it! 8)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to tie it directly to the line with a palomar knot. I now tie a small gold snap (not snap-swivel) to the 6/2 Fireline and attach both the crankbait and the jig to them. It allows me to switch baits quickly without re-tying and I think it gives the lures a little more action. I also add a drop of Kickn"Bass to all my lures...Art

·
Registered
126 Posts
Pardon me, I'm a little thick. I am confused about this rigging setup. What is a gold snap - a three-way?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roosevelt2004

I buy size 12 or 14, depending on the brand, gold snap-swevils. I then take a pair of snips and cut off the swevil and throw it away. That leaves the snap that I tie on my Fireline....Art

1 - 7 of 7 Posts