Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rosey report 10/03:
Even with storm predicted, bite was still good in am. 6:30 - 11:30.
Best fish, 5 lb, 3 oz on TR in 20 ft. Photo.

Bought my USFS annual pass and window sticker in the spring. Ranger staff told me good for all parking and non-developed camping, including main marina.

Today, the attendent at the main marina tried to charge me for daily parking at boat launch in ADDITION to my annual. Said the concessionaire changed his mind. AAARRRGHH! So who lied to me? The Ranger staff or ???

Stopped by the Visitor Center. Apparently, I'm not the only one mad as a wet hen. Dozens have complained.
We need a major letter writing campaign.

Sure the concessionaire had big expenses building the boat slips and the marina store. Sure, he deserves to make money on that investment.
But the main lake boat ramp (built when? 60-70-80 yrs ago??!) with non-developed camping and a dirt parking lot?? Come on! An annual $95 permit is not good on my national forest to launch my boat?? The paper left on my window said I will "be subject to tire locks being installed until day use passes are purchased" from RLM (the concessionaire.) Good grief!

Tonto National Forest Supervisor, Gene Blankenbaker
2324 E. McDowell Rd.
Phoenix, Az. 85006
If you have an annual permit, I hope you all write as well.
Bob C., Globe, Az.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the parking, the MArine is private property they change there mind at will. they are no part what so ever of tonto national forrest. they only own the dirt NOT the WATER
Yup, us ol' farts run into a hungry kamikazi bass every now and then.

The concessionaire actually OWNS the dirt 200-300 yrds below the Visitor Center down at the boat launch???! Never heard of such a thing. Why in the world don't they actually POST IT "Private Property"? Where can I read more or find more info on that?

Before I get all postal and write my upset ol' fart letter to the Supervisor, I'd better get that one straight.
Bob C.

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
My pass has always been good at the old main ramp (off the dirt area). If it was changed and there is no signage someone needs to take reponsibility for it...not just pass on the charge to the boater.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Dang, was going to post about the marina launch (no TNF passes excepted)

two weeks ago when I was up at rosy at the crappie meeting I took a buddy on a tour of the launch ramps including the marina launch which is just coming out of water and they were grading the dirt parking lot. Right out in front where it used to say yearly TNF pass excepted for marina launching is now covered with a new sign, No TNF passes including the yearly pass are excepted at the marina launch $10 to launch and park.:mad::mad:

If I remember right the same A-hole that owns/manages pleasant harbor marina took over the marina at roosevelt.

I checked with a buddy in tonto basin and another issue dealing with the new marina managers is the former supervisor for TNF at roosevelt has retired and they have a "temporary" supervisor there at the office soooooooooooo I don't think until they get a permanent supervisor for that district that anyone is going to make issues with the marina on any subject even though the marina is a "special use leasie to the lake????" and if the new supervisor has no "balls" they may not deal with it at all?

that launch that was never really part of the the marina was put in a gazzilion years ago by the "work corp" during the early years of the lake building, it was there with dirt parking maintained by the forest service long before there was even a marina at roosevelt lake, I can see them restricting the marina in general but not a launch ramp that was built by tax dollars way back when?:x

wish the supervisor for TNF at bartlett lake was in charge of roosevelt!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The charges have been going on since spring, a friend of mine has a trailer right across the street from the marina and they hit him up for the money memorial day weekend. I would drive down to windy hill just to stiff them out of the $.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Del, that launch ramp some how has been incorporated into the marina area?? heck the marina wasn't even where it is now a couple years ago and back before marinas and TNF office etc. there was nothing there but the trailer park across the street and a dirt road down to the ramp and dirt parking lot, course back then even TNF didn't charge for anything.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Nice fish!

Why wouldn't you launch at Cholla or Windy Hill to avoid the grief? I've never launched out of the marina when it was close to full pool. Is it more accessible, protected from the afternoon winds?

I launched once from the marina when the lake was at 13% pool and they used these huge tires to line you up down to the waters edge. That was an experience in itself when you watch the ramp rookies retrieve their rides. It took me two hours to get to the water that night. Launching was rough, but best night on that lake for numbers on cranks, ever! The Chedisky fire was raging and Pinetop was being evacuated that night.

A week ago, on Windy hill, I had both passes displayed on the drivers side of the windsheild and dashboard. I still received a ticket for not displaying both of my passes.

The officer must have been 5' tall not to see them both on the the window and dashboard.

I think Barney Fife is on the job........

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hmm, will be interesting to see if they accept the Frasier group site permit to launch there. We camp there every October and get a parking/launch pass for each vehicle in our group. We have always launched there with no problems. it will suck if we can't launch there now...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
From what I understand it is a POS little ramp that is only convenient for the trailer park.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
the temp ramp is a single lane ramp piece of chit, the main ramp which is now out of water is 5 lanes with a dock.

Matt it is nice to launch there at the marina when you want to fish in behind the marina or the islands and the weather is a little flakey, saves going through the large bay from windy hill to the area, all your permits displayed and still a ticket?? some midget idiot that couldn't see your dashboard?? go see the people and show them your passes.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Write the supervisor or call him and ask him why Roosevelt is the only lake on the Tonto Forest to do this. i have the letter from Bartlett supervisor from 8 years ago and you can have it if you want it. pitch a bitch and they will change it. Matter of fact go to the head ranger for the whole Tonto forest and bitch to him , he can change it.

it is the same owner as pleasant harbor and he will push things to the very limit

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't understand why anyone would even want to launch there. The ramp sucks, you get treated like crap and get tickets even when you have the right passes. It only takes 10 minutes to run up there from Windy hill which has great boat ramps and parking. I can maybe understand if it is a weather issue but hell if the weather is so bad I can't make that short run I am not going to be fishing and going home anyways.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I don't understand why anyone would even want to launch there. The ramp sucks, you get treated like crap and get tickets even when you have the right passes. It only takes 10 minutes to run up there from Windy hill which has great boat ramps and parking. I can maybe understand if it is a weather issue but hell if the weather is so bad I can't make that short run I am not going to be fishing and going home anyways.
Yeah it is a crappy ramp...but if you are staying at Frasier group site it makes sense to just launch there.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just so it's clear in my mind.
That 5 lane main lake launch ramp and dirt parking lot were built by CCC? That had to be in the 1930's!! Fed tax money and I'm clear that that is NOT private land?? That is USFS part of Roosevelt Recreation Area.

The RLM concessionaire/leasee can willy-nilly start charging those of us with annual permits an additional daily use permit? (The same guy that runs Pleasant some of you say?)
And if we refuse to pay it, he can lock our tires and call the Sherrif?
Why the heck is the boat ramp part of his lease??!!! Why is the Ranger District maintaining and running that area?? Has really nothing to do with the marina!! THEN my annual permit would be good!

Maybe it's time like BoatCop says to pitch a bitch. Roosevelt is the ONLY lake on the Tonto that does this!!??
My little act of Civil Disobediance!! Ok, Sherrif write me a citiation and I'll be happy to plead my case with the Judge. Or with the Roosevelt District Ranger. Or with the TNF Supervisor.
(By the way, Gene Blankenbaker, is not just listed as the Roosevelt Dist Ranger. He is Supervisor for the entire Tonto NF -- includes Bartless, et. al.) Don't think he is "temporary."

Maybe it's time to call 3 on Your Side or Channel 5 Investigative Reporter?
Letters to the editor? I still plan to write my upset letter to Mr. Blankenbaker.

The problem with getting ol' retiree farts all fired up is that we have TIME to rattle the sabers and lead the charge!!
Bob C.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Write the supervisor or call him and ask him why Roosevelt is the only lake on the Tonto Forest to do this. i have the letter from Bartlett supervisor from 8 years ago and you can have it if you want it. pitch a bitch and they will change it. Matter of fact go to the head ranger for the whole Tonto forest and bitch to him , he can change it.

it is the same owner as pleasant harbor and he will push things to the very limit
BoatCop,
Yes, I would love a copy of the letter written by the Bartlett Lake Supervisor. Looks to me like that sets a precidence.
Bob C.
2025 Patricia Dr. , Globe, Az 85501
Or send electronically PM.?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why the heck is the boat ramp part of his lease??!!! Why is the Ranger District maintaining and running that area?? Has really nothing to do with the marina!! THEN my annual permit would be good!.
Oh. Typo. That should read," Why is the Ranger Dist NOT maintaining and running that boat launch area? Has really nothing to do with the marina."
And, ya know, maybe that is exactly the issue. Perhaps the USFS does not want to take the responsibility of putting up porta johns, or checking permits, or moving the floating dock when necessary. EASIER and less hassle to give it over to the leasee!!!
If that's the case, this sucks even more. Our tax money and permit fees at work, eh? Every time I write something more about this I get more fired up.

BoatCop,
Look forward to seeing that Barlett Lake letter. That sounds like the ammunition we need to make things change at Roosevelt main marina.
Bob C.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah it is a crappy ramp...but if you are staying at Frasier group site it makes sense to just launch there.
millsryno,
The way it all reads now is No. If you've paid the NF for Frasier and have a NF launch pass, it will not be accepted at the main marina. Total BS in my humble opinion.

The cages need to be rattled.
Bob C.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts