Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a trip today on Saguaro, and we did OK. We caught nine bass, seven on my jigs with pork, and two on soft jerkbaits. We had two fish over 4lbs, with the rest from 2-2 1/2lbs. Everything was shallow. We spoke with a guy who was out there last night, and he said they caught 16 good fish before it got cold?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Wow! And here I was trying to figure out how I could talk my way into a lake trip this weekend and maybe try a lake other than Sag......now I'm thinking if I can actually get an okay to head out, I should just go to my ol' favorite Saguaro! Thanks for the report Joe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your welcome. Our fish hit an orange/pumpkin 3/8 oz jig with a brown #11 pork in 6-15'. Bill Amos said there was a guy last night on Canyon that caught some bass and walleye, and a friend of mine caught two pigs this week on Saguaro at night in about 5' of water. I would love to be on the lake all tomorrow night. Good luck......Joe

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
PHAZ - There are plenty in Canyon to be had. If that's what you're targeting I'm uncertain as to how you'd go about it. While I'm bassing I've laid into many of them at Canyon, mid-river, on shad and chartreuse (firetiger), jerk baits. Right now, dusk would be a pretty good time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Canyon Walleyes

Yes Sir I have. Canyon has a great walleye population. In April and May at night, you can catch some good walleyes on the main lake points and by the marina on crankbaits. As Bill stated, the biggest walleyes are usually up the river. Any vertical wall or submerged point in 10-20' of water will hold them, and a crankbait is a good way to get on them. From the bass pre spawn in March, until early October, you can usually get a few each night along with a bunch of bass on crankbaits. But unlike crankbaiting bass where you often times need that bait banging the bottom, I do better on walleyes by fishing the lures over open water shad schools. When fishing crankbaits for walleyes at night, you will also notice that when you first get bit, there will be just a light tap, almost like a trout hitting a worm. If you set the hook at that point, you will miss that fish, but if you just keep a slow steady reel, they will come back and nail it every time? If you are good at fishing live minnows or crawler rigs, I would bet that you could really hammer them during the day as well. Good Luck.....Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.