Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading over to SD next week and chartering a boat one day. I was wondering if my swimbait rod will be heavy enough for Tuna, Dorado, and Yellowtail. It's rated for lure weight up to 6oz. What do you guys think?

I also have a Quantum Cabo 20PTs reel. I was wondering if I spooled it up with 25# line, if it would be heavy enough?

Sorry guys, not much experience fishing salt water.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
That rod should be fine. What reel are you planning on bringing down there? Your gonna need a reel that can hold several hundred yards not to mention something with drag. On the cabo can the 20 hold 25#?

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
IMO you will just trash your rod and reel. I have a good setup you can borrow or borrow a good saltwater setup from someone you know. Let me know.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
+1 on what Ringer said. The reel isn't going to hold enough line and if it's expensive rod with cork handles, I'd leave it at home. You could borrow one of mine, but Sedona is a long way from Tucson. You can also rent one for around $25 a day.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
run all braid and 10' fluro leader and you will be fine! Plus you might even get to cut someone else line thats always fun!

·
Registered
390 Posts
run all braid and 10' fluro leader and you will be fine! Plus you might even get to cut someone else line thats always fun!
LOL that will go over well.
I would just rent one at the Landing. They are actually not too bad. Unless somebody can loan you one. You could just put 15 lb mono on there. Granted you might lose some fish but you will probably get bit more then everybody else. Light tackle is fun. I caught my first Albie on 15lb. Have fun and good luck. The water is getting very warm right now. I'm going out tomorrow afternoon

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Thats all I run! I dont have any problems, I run alot of drag and when I have to I lock it down and its all good! Know if I ask you to go infront of you and you dont want to step away from the rail I will go behind you and throw my reel out of gear and well while you are reting I will be boucing another fish on the deck! lol plus its always funny when you say I told you to step back but you didnt listen!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thats all I run! I dont have any problems, I run alot of drag and when I have to I lock it down and its all good! Know if I ask you to go infront of you and you dont want to step away from the rail I will go behind you and throw my reel out of gear and well while you are reting I will be boucing another fish on the deck! lol plus its always funny when you say I told you to step back but you didnt listen!
:Iconrotfl:IconrotflLOL. That's funny.
There's a lot of those guys that just don't want to listen out there. The best trips are when everybody's on the same page working together. I didn't know if Herminator had much experience out there. Braid with little experience can be a lethal combo to the people fishing around him.

Classic...I told you to step back but you didn't listen. That's funny

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Happens every trip even on my 10 dayer! Work together? I guess you share the JB too? lol

It even funnier when two braid guys lock up and then let it fly!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Your rod will be fine. It could take light tuna on the paddies, and most of the close dodos are fairly small. I take my flipping stick every year and my abu garcia 6500. It works fine, I've pulled two rockfish up on it from 200+ feet, caught small sharks, calicos, etc. ++++1 on spooling it with braid and fluorocarbon leader. 50-65lb is usually fine as far as braid goes. Just rinse the reel with freshwater after you're done. It'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
HAHAHA your rod and reel will get shredded if you get anything over 10. Believe me.

Get an old daiwa sealine or a shimano bantam.

Anyone who tells you that it will be fine has never had a freshwater setup shredded from a yellowtail. Yea it will be fine until you catch something big.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would definitely get something bigger. The tuna that are being caught right now are bluefin from 20-40 pounds and albacore from 15-30. They are also catching a lot of yellowtail up to 30 pounds. I have a friend that caught a 17 pound dorado 2 days ago and I saw a 35 pounder that was caught the other day. Do you really want to get out there and have fish all around you and know that you don't have gear that can land any of them? I would definitely gear up. Get a tuna stick and reel that can hold a few hundred yards of 30 pound test. And don't forget flourocarbon for leaders.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys. My father in law has 5 or 6 tuna set-ups that we can use, I was just hoping to try something a bit lighter.

Ringer and DanW, thanks for the offer but like I said, we're all set up.

I'll let you guys know how we do.

Thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey man,

If you have the big stuff just in case, then I say bring the light stuff. I heard that a lot of the dodo's on paddys were very finicky and wouldn't bite anything heavier than 15# flouro, so I would set up your rig with that just in case you can't get them to bite the heavier stuff. Have a blast man. I'm going on a 2 day trip at the end of this month and I can't wait. Let us know how you do.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hey man,

If you have the big stuff just in case, then I say bring the light stuff. I heard that a lot of the dodo's on paddys were very finicky and wouldn't bite anything heavier than 15# flouro, so I would set up your rig with that just in case you can't get them to bite the heavier stuff. Have a blast man. I'm going on a 2 day trip at the end of this month and I can't wait. Let us know how you do.
All the species get somewhat finicky when they move into new water meaning the lead schools. Herminator is on the leading edge of the dorado and possibly yft.
Your trip should perfect timing. The water is 75 right now off of Orange County. That is pretty warm. My good buddy runs the Patriot out of Newport Landing. He said the Dorado should be here in 2-3 weeks. That means the fleet out of San Diego should be getting them any week now (good numbers). Good luck to both of you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts