Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how the fishing is in San Diego or N. San Diego county right now? Looking for either offshore or deep sea reports. Also looking for a guide/charter that is decent. Doesn't the Hook Up run out of Mission or similar? Any info would be appreciated, it's for my father's b-day.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I just signed up with the Alexes for the first week in October. A guy named Gary. Seems to be a really nice guy. I was able to check out their catches month by month for the last couple of years. I called the Hook Up and was referred to a guy who referred me to them. It seems the Hook Up has stopped SD excursions for this season.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
informed, I'm looking at mid/late October. Definitely let me know how you guys do and how the service was.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
No problem, I hope to show you LOTS of pictures!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
get a kayak and fish in the bay. me and my dad caught some rock bass there. pretty cool stuff. similar to regular bass fishing. use the same baits too except for plastic worms and stuff like that.

·
Registered
164 Posts
They are still catching tuna on day boats out of san diego. If you are willing to spend the money you should definitely get out there and try. They could disappear any day though so it really depends on when you are going.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There has been a great year for yellowfin tuna. Most 1.5 and 2 days trips have limited out for the last 1.5 months. I can get you a good deal and tell you which boats are the best. also, you may find www.bloodydecks.com a helpful site.

·
Registered
553 Posts
A group of friends and I chartered with Jason on the HI-COUNT out of Point Loma in August of last year. It was a great trip and he put us on lots of yellow tail and dorado. I'm not sure but I think its billfish season about now. You can google HI-COUNT Sportfishing and get his info. Good Luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
HI-Count is a great boat but will be pricy. The Sea Adventure 80 is great for 1.5 day trips but the best in my opinion is the Islander for 2 day trips. they have by far one of the best crews and a very fishy captain.

·
Registered
390 Posts
It all depends on the weather. Fishing is still very good right now but that might change. My favorite times to fish is September and October. October can be hit and miss. We have a cold front hitting us this weekend with on shore winds. If we get a good storm to come through with another cold front with it, kiss it good bye. Fishing will probably still be good after this front but once the second one comes through......the party is over. Watch the weather

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. The Hook Up looks like they have a pretty good deal too. Haven't made a final decision on when but hopefully before the next cold front. I have heard similar things about the double up fronts that kill the fall bite.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just thought that i'd mention incase you don't want to spend 2 days on a boat that some of the 5am-5pm boats out of Dana Point and Newport beach have been getting a lot of yellowfin tuna. This would be a much cheaper alternative to a 1.5 or 2 day trip and you could still get some fish. I have been on a few boats out of DP and would recommend them. Never been out of Newport so i don't know. Good Luck whatever you do though bro.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Go out of San Diego. The fishing is much better below the border right now. There's a couple pockets of warm water off the coast (Newport / Dana) but it's very much hit and miss right now. Jimmy does have a good point but San Diego / Mexico is a much better option right now as they are still thick down there. You will have a lot of fun. Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts