Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week at the round table the subject about Saguaro maintaining it's big fish population was discussed for quite a while. It was suggested that we keep the smaller bass we catch instead of tossing them back. Well, I never keep any fish to eat unless it's a yellow. I don't really care so much for the taste od largemouth, but I guess I'd do it if it would help the lake out. Who is going to try and keep these smaller bass? Should I make a habit of it? What size do you consider to be a eater sized bass? 12-14 inches? Thanks. Josh

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Josh I keep fish probably 6-7 times a year.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Wow, Josh. That's the taboo question!

Back when I couldn't catch fish (still can't, LOL) I'd keep the bass, yellows, cats, carp, minnows, snail darters......., but now I always release. I like the taste of LM also! This puts me in a quandry. Do I want other bass fishermen seeing me take bass out of my live well?

Actually, I wouldn't mind bringing home a few dink/1 lbers every now and then.

Maybe I ought to start taking some home.

Maybe this is a 12 step process.

Hi, my name's John and I'm a Bass harvester.......... :lol:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not talking about keeping every bass I catch. If I heard right on Monday, it would be great for the lake if everyone kept their small bass. Am I backwards here? Josh

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
da, great post. Re the slot program. To manage our local lakes, wouldn't we have to assign the proper program for that specific lake, and adjust slot limits as needed? If so, where does the input and final word come from. Oh yeah, what about enforcement? Since I rarely, rarely keep a fish, the slot limit won't affect me one way or the other. I think Saguaro is an excellant bass lake and fishing can be great at times. Easily blows away the bass fishing I had in Wisconsin. Is there an article specifically about Saguaro and the official word on how Saguaro Lake stands on populations of small/medium/large/hog bass? How about the threadfin shad populations?

G

·
Well, I think Sag is an OK lake with good size bass in it. That lake is by no means over populated with fish...If it was you would be getting a 100 rats a day. I have fished many lakes around this country that were over populated and was in need of harvesting but they were mostly smaller lakes & ponds. I think first you need the problem of catching too many small fish before we give up on the catch and release of even small bass. Besides who says you can't have quantity and quality???? many lakes have both!!

I always thought the slot limit was the way to go to get trophy lakes but Roosey has prooved that wrong. To make these fisheries better we need one thing....and that is WATER and a consistent supply. Unfortunatly, we live in the desert and we will never have the consistent supply of water that we need to sustain well managed fisheries.

I believe, catch and release is still is a good idea in these forever struggling lakes & Sag has plenty of big fish in it but still needs surviving smaller fish to grow big as well. If any lake was in need of the harvesting of small fish it would be Roosey, that place is Rat City.

Just my Opinion......Dan

·
Registered
175 Posts
Keeping Bass

Well I don't think it is a good idea to keep bass of any size. If you run your graph on Sag you will find schools of bass but not alot of schools. There is certainly enough food in there to support a much larger population of fish. After all how do big bass get big??
They grow up from little bass!!!!!! They plant trout but do nothing to support the bass population and when asked, there reply is the bass repopulate. I would be interested where Spidy fished in Wisconsin. I have fished all over that state and always thought it was one of the top bass states I ever fished. I lived there for 40 years and remember huge amounts of fish being caught.
Darryl

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree that some small bass need to be taken out (in moderation) to keep a lake from being over populated and causing stunting. I've had first hand expirience dealing with stunted bass cause I live on a private lake and there is nobody taking the fish out. It used to be that you would catch 20-25 quality bass in a day but that has become 40-50 small stubby bass. It really sucks! I like catching big bass over numbers. I don't see a problem with any of the central lakes now (probably cause I can't catch fish even if they were over populated :wink: ) but I don't think it hurts anything to slightly "lessin the crowd".

Just my thoughts.

-Dave King

1 - 10 of 10 Posts