Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello could someone explain to me why the lake I live on has small Bass minnows in the month of August ? I mean these things are only like 1 1/2 inches long.

Unless they spawned twice this year I do not see how it took all this time for the minnows to only get 1 1/2 inches long.

What Could cause this ?

Is my Lake going south on me? No Food Perhaps ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Well, bass can spawn more than once a year. A lot of bass DO spawn more than once a year.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
I did a little research on this after catching some 2 inch LMB in October a few years back while I was on Saguaro. It actually began as understanding how a 2 inch fish was going after my 2 inch Kastmaster. Then I seen some articles on LMB spawing.

Not always does a female release all her eggs with one male at one time. She might only release a portion with one male then later with another male. You are talking nature, survival and spreading the gene's around.

I read where a LMB can spawn as many as 4 times in a year if the weather is right. Climate has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I did a little research on this after catching some 2 inch LMB in October a few years back while I was on Saguaro. It actually began as understanding how a 2 inch fish was going after my 2 inch Kastmaster. Then I seen some articles on LMB spawing.

Not always does a female release all her eggs with one male at one time. She might only release a portion with one male then later with another male. You are talking nature, survival and spreading the gene's around.

I read where a LMB can spawn as many as 4 times in a year if the weather is right. Climate has a lot to do with it.

What a slut, :D god bless her.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Small ponds = slow growth rates????

I hear ya , but I lived here several years and never seen this before.

By this time of year they are at least 5-8 inches and then growth may slow after that. I know they can spawn more then once a year. I was I guess assuming lack of food and or vitamins that they require.

Maybe you all are right maybe we had several spawns. Just seems weird being this summer (to me anyways) seems the hottest in a long time.

I aprec your input though.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the Input Guys .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts