Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know if anyone could tell me when the AZ bass start moving on the beds & are there any particular areas on Havasu that are known spawning areas? A friend who fished the PVA Championship there last year in February said that they where on the beds then. Is that true? :?

Thanks,
PigSticker

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Pig sticker.

There were some fish on beds in feb. generally that doesnt happen but the weather has been kinda weird, here in central phx we had them on beds in mid feb. not many but a few. Dont plan on it for your stratigy for fishing, if you happen to see them on beds while your fishing start sticking them.

Now what franklin means by that was the water temp. was to cold for them to spawn last year that early. shit me and a few buddies were catching them off beds 3 weeks before the water temp was right. But now that I think about it they were not on beds they were on lazy boy's :roll:
Just funnin with ya franklin

Delw

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
method to my madness

Here's my reason for the question. Last year the Championship was in mid Feb. This year it's the 5-11 of Jan, about 4-5 weeks earlier. So, I feel like they should be staging. If I can figure out the spawning areas, then I should, in theory, be able to back out to the staging areas and find them. What do you guys think? Does my theory hold water?

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
Yes, your theory does. Thats the time of year to find the big fish staging and cruising the spawing areas scouting....they dont stay up for long though. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there were lots of fish on beds during the PVA at havasu last year in February. Normally they don't spawn that early there, but last year was a rarety. If the weather stays the way it has been then they could spawn in february again up there, but i would not count on it. The first week in January is even to early for the fish up there to start to stage. You will most likely be fishing a wintertime pattern, but remember it is a river system so the fish act differently than what they do at Lake Pleasant or an actual lake. For the PVA tournament i will say it will take about 20lbs to win for two days, if it was another tournament where you had locals fishing it you would be looking at high 20's. You will have deep fish and there will be shallow fish. The thing about havasu is you CAN NOT stick fish in practice and expect them to eat again unless they are on a bed. If the fish is not on a bed and you stick him in practice you might as well not even bother in the tournament. 90% of the bites you get in practice will be keeper fish.

PS. Unless you know the lake you really should not answer to this post.

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
Anonymous said:
PS. Unless you know the lake you really should not answer to this post.
I got one thing right today. So Guest? Have you fished Havasu successfully?

I agree Lake Pleasant is NOT a regular lake. :D

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys crack me up :lol: I have to agree with Franklin. Sounds like this "Guest" is one of the dirty rats I'm going to be fishing against...LOL Either that or maybe they were one of the observers in last years event.

Hey Delw, I did a little field testing of the 5.25 stick in my 100 gal fish tank today. Looks great! I used a special mix or should I say an accidental mix of plastic today and you can't even imagine the action I got out of it. Move over Yamamotto, there's a new kid in town... :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually no i am not one of the "Dirty Rats" fishing your tournament. No i was not an observer at last years tournament. I have however fished the lake for 20 years and know what those fish do certain times of the year. That is how i know that they normally don't spawn that soon, that is how i know that you can't stick fish and expect to catch them again. It is the same thing with anyone on there home lake. You fish it long enough then you learn what the fish do on that body of water. Yes a bass is a bass and so on, but they act differently depending on where you go. You read all this stuff about creek channels and that they will use those as migration routes and stuff. Havasu does not have creek channels. The closest it has to creek channels is tulie trails and secondary current stretches. That is just an example. Havasu is unlike any like in the country. You ask any top pro and they will tell you the same thing.

I did not mean anything derogative about anyone in particular. Maybe i misread the question. My main point to my responce was the mear fact that PIGSTICKER asked about spawning fish on havasu and how they react around arizona. The fact of the matter is you really can't compare the fish on havasu to the fish around central arizona because colorado river lakes are not like the lakes in central arizona. Even on the salt river system. Yes that is a river system in central arizona, but it does not have nearly the current flow that havasu has and they pump the current both directions, As for my comment of "unless you know the lake you should not respond to this question" The reason i put that is because of the difference in the lakes. Havasu relates alot on weather and preasure. For example right now the quality fish in the river should be in the main current, or if you are fishing the lake they should be out in the deeper 20 to 40 foot range. Yes that is deep for havasu. But they are not even on that yet.

I will admit even with my knowledge of the lake that it will throw me for a loop from time to time. I have bad tournaments there as well as alot of good ones. I have had my butt handed to me on a silver platter there more than a time or two. Just as i am sure alot of you have on your home lake. Goodluck up there Pigsticker. You get 12lbs a day you will be tough to beat. There was a bassmaster tournament there in january back in 98 or 99 that took i think 22lbs for 3 days to win. Alot of the reason for the low wait in that tournament though is the preasure the lake had the week before with everyone prefishing. I don't think you will have 200 boats running around for a week before your tournament.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the post "Guest" Maybe we took your post the wrong way. Sorry for that. Your statement "unless you know the lake you should not respond to this question" just kind of sounded like you were trying to shy anyone away from replying, hence the "Dirty Rats", which any of my friends on the PVA Bass Tour would have known was a joke. We're a close knit bunch, but very competitive, as all bass anglers are. Our Bass Tour doesn't take us west of Texas except for the last 2 Championships, which have been on Havasu so I'm sure that most of us are plowing through the internet looking for answers.

Having fished the lake for over 20 yrs, I'm sure I could learn a lot from you, and would like to talk with you more about it, that is unless I rubbed you the wrong way. That was not my intent. My email is [email protected] if you wouldn't mind sharing some of your insight on Havasu.

Thanks again for the post & tight lines.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Joe,

I new you would know it was me. send me an email and i will give you my new cell number. I don't have your email or number anymore.

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Delw,

I used to live there till i moved to phoenix. I still fish it more than i fish the lakes around here. During the tournament season i fish it just about every other weekend if not every weekend. Why?

Justin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts