Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday at Saguaro I had my best day spooning ever. While I caught several fish I lost 4 for everyone I got to the boat. These were hooked fish not strikes. I was fishing with a 6' medium action baitcasting and 10 pound Trilene XL. I was using a KSW for most of the fish. I never broke off a fish they just came undone. I know several were cats but several of them felt like bass. I didn't see them. I was fishing in 50 feet of water.
My question for all of you is what do you use for spooning in deep water. I'm thinking that I may have to much stretch in my line on the hook set and maybe a medium action 6' rod is to light. I definitely need to improve my percentage.

·
Registered
11,707 Posts
You're on the right path for solving your problems. 6' medium power is too wimpy a rod for spooning in 45-50'. Also the Trilene XL has too much stretch to get a good hook set.

Go to at least a 6'6" MH rod . It will move more line and have the backbone to bury the hook. Also switch to a line with less stretch. P-line Floroclear in 10 pound is one choice. Another choice is Fireline or Spiderwire. I use both and add a P-line leader. Fireline or braided line has almost zero stretch. You'll have a rod with backbone and great line to set the hook with. Your hookup to get-them-in-the-boat ratio will be a lot better.

Couple more tips. Set your drag pretty loose with Fireline or braids so you don't put a big hole in their lip. Those KSW's fall out pretty easy sometimes. And change out that itty-bitty treble hook to a more manly sized treble.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
I agree with d a (Denny). I mostly use a 6'6" medium that is really like a medium-heavy rod and 8 lb. P-Line Floroclear (which is fluorocarbon coated to make it practically invisible). Sometimes I will use a 6'6" medium heavy rod with 10 lb. P-Line Floroclear. I don't miss many fish. 8)

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
let me just toss in that my spooning rod is a 6' BPS Bionic blade md hvy.....it works great. I use 12lb BPS line, and a calcutta 100, altho I would rather use a higher speed reel....its a palm-able setup though. Oh, and I wear my BPS underwear when I fish, too :lol:

·
Registered
302 Posts
What is a KSW?

Hey fellas,

What is a KSW? A spoon or some kind of silver buddy type lure??

Thanks,

DigDug :?:

·
Registered
393 Posts
KSW stands for Kens secret weapon. Ken is a guide on Saguaro and has freely shown people on this site this lure. As a common courtesy we do not identify it on the web, but if you are ever on Saguaro (probably any of the lakes) you can ask most posters and they will gladly show you one and where to get it. You can also go to Bear Mountain Inc on Southern in Mesa and Ken will be glad to help you.
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts