Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K., so the count isn't exactly true. We did catch some the first time we went out, but I count that as begginners luck. :wink: Caught a couple of 12"+ whites at tires using minnow from store. From that night on ( 5 weeks ago)... it's been downhill from there.
Typical night fishing goes something like this....
4:00pm Launch boat and scout for boils
7:00pm Give up on boils ( never seeing any!) and putt around looking for 40' depth with fish showing on the screen with deeper water very close. ( Don't really know why. I think I read it somewhere before) (If it's in print on the web, then it's got to be true! Right? :Iconrotfl) Anchor and put our white light on one side and green on other.
8:30pm Decent shad circle going. Net shad for bait and put in bucket. No larger fish over 12", on screen.
10:00pm Still no larger fish. Pick up and putt around looking for schools.
10:30 pm Gave up on putting and headed to tires
10:45 pm Tie up to tires (40') and set out lights again.
11:30 pm Minnows at lights but no shad.
12:00 pm Still no shad, buit larger fish are swimming under boat. Hook up with shad on one pole and cut shad on other. Small split shot about 18" above bait. Drop to where fish are on screen at about 20'
2:00 pm Maintaining stellar "shitty fisherman" rating with 0 in boat.
2:25 pm Load boat

I haven't really seen a lot on how to night fish and what are the particulars on what to look for or conversly what to watch out for. How to pick a spot or what type of rigs to use. Does it help to chum and if so with what?

Any help would be appreciated. Thx

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
no one bothered you at the tires?? (harbor patrol??)--did you set up on inside our outside the tires?

normally the whites are a little tough to catch when they come through the lights eating shad (catch them with white 1/32oz feather jigs), normally this time of year with water temps up do better in 60,80, 90+ feet at the tires or even out on the lake couple of the best nights in the past were in 130' of water with bait down 40+', weird using shad that you had no luck, what size line are you using?? normally shad would be the go to bait better than anchovies etc.? normally the little rat stripers are at 20' and bigger ones are down deeper in the cooler water, sometimes better to use bigger split shot to get bait past the bait robbers down to bigger fish?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
you can get a coupon for "tie up to tires". 1 other thing, its Stripers not Strippers, unless you got a pole on your boat. And if you do, take me fishing.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Ya I think the "strippers" bite best in humbug LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You caught me Just J. Must have been skipping school to fishing during spelling class too much.

I did forget to mention Fishless, that by the time we got to the tires - the shad were belly up. :roll: So we were fishing with dead shad. Using 8lb. green spider wire - hood tied directly to line. No leader. You say bigger ones are in deeper. Would I see them as a school on the fishfinder? or are they just passing through. If passing through - how do I pick a likely spot?

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
seems like in the summer the bigger stripers are always moving looking for chow "shad" sometimes they show up on the graph well but near the tires etc. there are so many cables going down to secure things that sometimes what appears like a school is underwater objects/cables?? I have found that sometimes you can chum like heck with anchovies and not catch fish or small ones, move 75-100 yds down the tires or in a channel on the lake and start catching fish of good size, I normally give it an hour per spot then move around till I find them or go home skunked which has happened. dead shad should work fine since when a striper school attacks them on the surface the ones that have been stunned or killed sink down for a whole 3 seconds before being eaten, and heck the anchovies are all cut up and dead?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Normally your fish finder doesn't matter on seeing fish once you find a school if there are alota bait fish since the fish finder will see all bait fish eventually, I only use mine to find the right depth. I have found after fishing for stripers for the last 4 years at plez that the area your in on the tires matters quite a bit. I have done well in the middle of the tires or 3/4 up the tires. But the depth is the most important not so much finding a school since they are most likely dinks. I have had most my luck when the lake is at 90% I go around 60-70 feet but like now with the lake so low I would try and find somewhere around 40-50 around the tires. Chumming the water either or sometimes it helps and others you don't need it, you might just wana make a bait block suspend it from your boat in like 20 feet and have at it. When there are alot of dinks I find that they bite pieces of shrimp alot better than anchovies, and shrimp would be easier/less messy than anchovies. I caught over 100 dinks with a few good ones on shrimp last month with a 1/4 pound of shrimp. But anchovies work better for Cats. I also have good luck in the channel of Humbug. I also find that If you have a greenlight with a white light attached under it (a combo light) works better than putting just a green and crappie light in.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I have been seeing alot of stripers in the eve busting shad in the cove just east of the 10 lane.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I went Striper fishing friday night until Saturday morning. I have to say the bite was a little slower than last weekend. I expect that with an almost full moon. Still brought home 32 nice size stripers 1.5lbs to 3.5lbs. I also brought home four catfish with the largest being around 5lbs. I found a school of stripers that were decent. The location was between the point with the wind warning device and Paul's hideaway.
I was anchored in 70 to 80 feet of water. Most of the fish hit around 50 feet of water. Some fish were caught just off of the bottom.
When you fish for stripers drop the bait down to 30 feet and leave it for 30 seconds. If you don't get a hit drop the bait five more feet. Repeat the process until you get a hit. When you start getting hits you can just drop the bait to the depth where they are hitting. The depth changes during the night.
I use two hooks when I striper fish. I tie on two hooks with palomar knots and an one ounce sinker 18 inches below the last hook. I put about 12 inches between each hook. The palomar knot makes the hooks stick straight out and the bait does the same in the water. I use 10lb clear sufix monofilament. I like line that stretches when striper killing.
I wouldn't mind teaching people how to striper fish. We can use your boat that way my boat won't get dirty. And you take home all the fish because I don't want to clean anymore for a while. I have a small list of demands and if they are met, I would teach you or anyone else how to striper kill.

List of demands:
- You pay for the gas
- You pay for the chovies
- 12 cokes
- a sandwhich
- You pay for the entrance to the park

I will bring my own fishing equipment. LOL. Tonight is good since I don't have to work tomorrow. If interested pm me. I don't expect my demands to be taking seriously. But if you want to catch a bunch of stripers I will teach you how if you meet my list of demands. LOL.

P.S. People with sacks will always be first choice. LOL

·
Registered
708 Posts
The problem for the guys that sit still all night chumming and fishing at 70ft or so is that most of their chum is 100ft away from them due to the current by the time it hits 70ft. Which by the way sometimes makes fishing better for the guy(s) oh about 100ft away from you also fishing deep. He thanks you by the way for all the chummed up fish. lol!! I only fish deep because personally I would rather catch a few larger stripers; 2-4lbs at minimum, than a bunch of 12" stripers. If you use a chum block, drop and tie it deep. If need be just clip it to your anchor line somehow. I caught all my fish last night/early this morning from 60ft to 80ft fishing 82ft of water. I didn't even chum. I was using a rattle-trap and called them in. My gf decided she wanted to fish and I hooked her up with live bluegill as I couldn't find any shad in our area. I did however venture back to the river this morning where the 'No Wake Bouys" are located at "full pool" to 20ft of water in the trees and throw after throw with the cast net produced shad. 95% of them were only 1.5" long but those work great.
Granted, during the dark hours the gf outfished my rattle-trap 2-1 but I was also catching 2.5lb fish.
Oh yeah, when I do chum with anchovies I place them deeper so for one, the little ones don't eat them all up and two, I can chum the depth of water I am fishing.........deeper than 60ft!!
If you need any more info than that there are a bunch of us on this site that are more than willing to give advice. We want to see those fish taken more than what they are being harvested.

·
Registered
337 Posts
O.K., so the count isn't exactly true. We did catch some the first time we went out, but I count that as begginners luck. :wink: Caught a couple of 12"+ whites at tires using minnow from store. From that night on ( 5 weeks ago)... it's been downhill from there.
Typical night fishing goes something like this....
4:00pm Launch boat and scout for boils
7:00pm Give up on boils ( never seeing any!) and putt around looking for 40' depth with fish showing on the screen with deeper water very close. ( Don't really know why. I think I read it somewhere before) (If it's in print on the web, then it's got to be true! Right? :Iconrotfl) Anchor and put our white light on one side and green on other.
8:30pm Decent shad circle going. Net shad for bait and put in bucket. No larger fish over 12", on screen.
10:00pm Still no larger fish. Pick up and putt around looking for schools.
10:30 pm Gave up on putting and headed to tires
10:45 pm Tie up to tires (40') and set out lights again.
11:30 pm Minnows at lights but no shad.
12:00 pm Still no shad, buit larger fish are swimming under boat. Hook up with shad on one pole and cut shad on other. Small split shot about 18" above bait. Drop to where fish are on screen at about 20'
2:00 pm Maintaining stellar "shitty fisherman" rating with 0 in boat.
2:25 pm Load boat

I haven't really seen a lot on how to night fish and what are the particulars on what to look for or conversly what to watch out for. How to pick a spot or what type of rigs to use. Does it help to chum and if so with what?

Any help would be appreciated. Thx
did u have some sort of time machine how in the hell did you get from 4:00pm to 2:25 pm in one night?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess the normal course of deduction would put this to rest by being:
A) Possibly 2:30pm the next afternoon…..or
B) Could have been a typo

You got a slow Saturday night going SWC? :roll:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I like hitting the northern coves like humbug and castle creek.
The 1702 area seems to have fish right now also.

I also prefer deeper waters for better size fish, and have found that a small hump or depression in the the bottom contour will be holding the fish.

Once you find some fish, get set up and just wait patiently.
They tend to bite at different times of the night.
If you get shad around your light over some deeper water, the stripers WILL come.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So from the sounds of it Turtle, the other night after we were at the entrance of Humbug with a HUGE school of shad under our lights (about 8:00 pm)- we should have stayed. After about 1 1/2 hours of nothing but shad we thought nothing was going to show, so we moved.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
So from the sounds of it Turtle, the other night after we were at the entrance of Humbug with a HUGE school of shad under our lights (about 8:00 pm)- we should have stayed. After about 1 1/2 hours of nothing but shad we thought nothing was going to show, so we moved.
To me it seems the schools will move around untill they find something to
keep them interested ( like a light with shad everywhere )

1-1/2 hrs of no bites = getting schooled at Plez
could have been the full moon effect

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
You don't look for the Striper, you look for the bait fish. The Stripers and whites will come, and they tend to be around the 40- 50 ft range around this time of year. Don't chum by just cutting and tossing bait, make a bait bag or bucket and put that out as well as tossing cut bait. You shake the bucket every now and then to distribute the scent. The Striper will follow the scent in the current to your lines. I have never gone Striper fishing and blanked. On Plez they are real easy to catch. Also I don't use white lights, only green. And I lower them at least 10ft or so below the surface. You don't want the stripers to come to the surface, you want them to come to your bait.

If you PM me I will give you my exact instructions on how I catch them, I never miss. And it won't cost you anything.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If your bored, check out wayneswords.com - the techniques for powell work well in ples too.

My Method:

1.) Find a fishy spot in a water depth appropriate for the current temps (the hotter the deeper).
2.) Punch a bunch of holes in either a fish flavored catfood can or a 20oz soda bottle filled with diced up chovies and send it down with the anchor.
3.) Green light with white spotlight on bottom down around 10 feet under the boat.
4.) 2 hook rig with a 1/2oz chartreuse jig head on the bottom and a snelled hook about 18 inches up from that.
5.) Drop to the bottom. Jig the bait every 20 seconds or so for about 2 mins. Crank it up 5-10 revs of the handle, soak it there for 2 mins, repeat until the bait comes back to the boat. Once you start getting action, you can drop it to the bottom and crank it the right number of turns to get back into the strike zone.
6.) ?????????????????
7.) Profit...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts