Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

Summary of responses to Spot Etiquette

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
I read all the responses to my question on "fun-fishing" spot etiquette and put together 7 "rules of etiquette for fun-fishing" that summarizes the points made in the posts. They appear to be widely held views.

Rules for "YOUR" spot:

If you tell someone of your spot and don’t ask them not to share it with others, then expect them to tell others and expect to find them and all their friends and relatives fishing your spot.

If you tell someone of your spot and do ask them not to share it with others, then expect them to tell no one but expect to find them on your spot. (Unless you tell a woman, telling them a secret is a green light to tell their friends! :roll: )

If you are aware that someone, regardless if they are a friend or acquaintance, has seen you fishing a spot, then expect to find them on the spot.

If you are aware that someone has seen you catch a fish on a spot, then expect them to join you, but also expect them to do it quietly and not too close.

Rules for SOMEONE ELSE’S spot:

If someone tells you of a spot and doesn’t ask you not to share it with others, then you can fish it and tell your friends/relatives but don’t give it up on the Internet.

If someone tells you of a spot and asks you not to share it with others, then fish it but don’t tell anyone and don’t give it up on the Internet.

If you see someone fishing a spot, or catching fish on a spot, then you can fish it later or you can quietly join them but don’t crowd them.

My confusion was I knew of other’s spots either by word of mouth or seeing them on it and stayed off of them, I expected others would do the same for me but it wasn’t happening. This likely stems from my enjoyment of finding my own fish. (Skunked, feel free to provide your own analysis of why I did this.) I’ll change my expectations of others but not necessarily my practice of staying off other’s spots. Thanks for the help everyone

See less See more
#6 ·
I've heard from others where so and so's spots are but I don't really like to fish them because of hearing that. Not that I want to avoid fishing anyone's secret spots, but because I want to learn. I like fishing spots I've pulled fish from. I'm trying to learn Sag. and I figure if I pay attention to where I pull fish from and what's under the water and what's going on around me, it might just click in my head someday. ...or is that clique??? :wink: I want to learn what's going on - yea! I'd like to catch some fish until it finally clicks, but you can catch fish all over that lake and when one spot's not hot, another one is. :) ...or is that just wishful thinking??? :?

I know you're feeling about fishing someone's "spot". I think the best and only way to look at it is "first come - first served". It's one thing if two friends are trying to learn a lake and they reveal their secrets so each person can learn from the others experience. If they have a pact not to fish each other's spots, but to share what they've learned, I can see having such a rule. Don't fish your buddy’s spots and he won't fish yours. But these lakes are too small and have too many people on them to allow the luxury of "personal spots". I've had one or two people tell me "That's one of d a's spots over there" or "That's one of Ken's spots over there." but I've never really fished them. I have ran over them and seen what kind of structure or bottom is down there so I can look for other places on my own. I just don't want you or Ken to show up one day and ...Oh. There's Ray! "Wasn't he here last week?"... I guess I fished one of Ken's spots the other week with my nephew. Ken was on "his spot" and a few other boats gathered around him. I'm sure those guys wanted to catch fish, but I'm also sure they wanted to chat and share some company with Ken and the others. I went over there, saw where he was fishing and I stayed in a little more shallow water but I was well within talking distance. My nephew caught a nice fish there, but I haven't really fished that spot again. Not because it's Ken's spot, just because I'm trying to learn how to make the right decisions about where to fish and when. I just try to find something similar. I have a spot similar to that area Ken was fishing and I like fishing it. I couldn't get there for the MMBC Birthday because other people were fishing it. Finally I got on there and I pulled out a fish that first weighed 3.14, then 3.12 and on another scale, it weighed 3.8... It was the smallest fish I've pulled from there yet. I don't catch a lot of fish there, but I'm learning from fishing that spot. I try to look for things there that I find while graphing other spots that I hear you and some of the other better fishermen fish. I'm not trying to follow any etiquette, I'm just trying to learn what to look for and what to avoid. At the same time, I don't want to be a thorn in anyone's side by fishing yours, Ken's, or any one else's "favorite spots" I've learned about. I fish with Jim most of the times I'm up there, but when he's not around, I just don't fish the spots he's showed me because I'm looking for my own. I fish around him for the company.
...sorry, I didn't mean to write a novel. :oops:

I will tell everyone one spot that I know is hot - it's up river and if the fish aren't biting ANYWHERE on the lake, you can be assured that you won't be disappointed fishing this spot. It's a secret sandy beach are I like to call tuna boat landing... :wink: :lol: Just if you ever see me in that area, don't block my view!

C'ya!

#8 ·
Ray's quote: I have a spot similar to that area Ken was fishing and I like fishing it. I couldn't get there for the MMBC Birthday because other people were fishing it. Finally I got on there and I pulled out a fish that first weighed 3.14, then 3.12 and on another scale, it weighed 3.8... It was the smallest fish I've pulled from there yet. I don't catch a lot of fish there, but I'm learning from fishing that spot.

Ray, I know that spot!! I'll race you to it Saturday!! :!:

Denny, you have my express written permission to fish "my" spots! I'm like you though (when it comes to fishing!). When I go by myself, those are "scouting" trips. Different spots, baits, someplace or somewhere I haven't fished for a while. I'll never forget that day last year that only you, Ken and I were dumb enough to be on Saguaro. It was that cold, rain soaked, hail hammered and 40 mph winds day. You got on some fish and left the spot to come and tell me where the bite was... and on what. That was impressive.

That was a good post with good responses. JMHO

#9 ·
Ray, I think I can explain the mystery in your statement " Finally I got on there and I pulled out a fish that first weighed 3.14, then 3.12 and on another scale, it weighed 3.8... "
The first scale you used was mine. As your boat rocked the weight shifted between 3.12 and 3.14. My scale weights in lbs/ozs so thats 3.8lbs. The second scale weighed in lbs and decimals.

#10 ·
tempepops said:
Ray, I think I can explain the mystery in your statement " Finally I got on there and I pulled out a fish that first weighed 3.14, then 3.12 and on another scale, it weighed 3.8... "
The first scale you used was mine. As your boat rocked the weight shifted between 3.12 and 3.14. My scale weights in lbs/ozs so thats 3.8lbs. The second scale weighed in lbs and decimals.
LOL!!! Maybe that it!!! I was just meaning to say that was the smallest fish I've pulled out of there. LOL!

#11 ·
Rippinlips said:
Denny, you have my express written permission to fish "my" spots! I'm like you though (when it comes to fishing!). ..........I'll never forget that day last year that only you, Ken and I were dumb enough to be on Saguaro. It was that cold, rain soaked, hail hammered and 40 mph winds day. You got on some fish and left the spot to come and tell me where the bite was... and on what. That was impressive.
I figured I wouldn't need permission to fish "your" spots just like you never needed mine to fish "my" spots. Yeah, that was a great day last winter in the rain! And by the time we got back to that spot the fish had left and neither one of us caught anything. And you were impressed? Well, you're not totally like me then. (when it comes to fishing!)

#12 ·
Skunked said:
......I know you're feeling about fishing someone's "spot". I think the best and only way to look at it is "first come - first served". ...........But these lakes are too small and have too many people on them to allow the luxury of "personal spots". I've had one or two people tell me "That's one of d a's spots over there" or "That's one of Ken's spots over there." but I've never really fished them. I have ran over them and seen what kind of structure or bottom is down there so I can look for other places on my own........ I guess I fished one of Ken's spots the other week with my nephew...............I went over there, saw where he was fishing and I stayed in a little more shallow water but I was well within talking distance. ...............At the same time, I don't want to be a thorn in anyone's side by fishing yours, Ken's, or any one else's "favorite spots" I've learned about. I fish with Jim most of the times I'm up there, but when he's not around, I just don't fish the spots he's showed me because I'm looking for my own. I fish around him for the company.
Thanks Skunked! Don't hesitate to check out what you consider "d a's" spot. You can't really learn what a spot is about just by graphing it, you have to drag that sinker around and "see" what it looks like. And heck, you don't get down here often enough to get thorny (yes that's spelled correctly, thorny). Oh, and on Monday remember if you want to fish within talking distance of me get out your bumpers.

#13 ·
Ya know Jim ,da did that for me one day as well, first he came over to show me about a 4 or 5 lb lm and said you oughta come over with me and I said That I was going to keep trying where I was for awhile. 10 minutes later he was back with two 3 to 4lb bass ,Then I followed him to his spot! and managed to lose 2 or three fish and got laughed at by him and Ken, then got a lesson on what a decent pole could do for you and was loaned one on the spot and managed to land a couple though I was still given a hard time about my water ski fish retrieve! which by the way I no longer use.If I did not thank you that day Denny I am doing so now..THANKS

#14 ·
You're welcome! I guess? What's up tonite? Everytime I make a post and then check back, seems there's a reply after mine from NedO2. Following me around on the water is one thing Jack, but following me around the board too??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.