Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok they have the symptoms of this flu and the school estimates they have been in contact with 2000 of its students. Which does not include health care providers outside the school systems and how many WSU students have been seen.

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AFP) – Some 2,000 students at Washington State University have reported symptoms of swine flu, university officials said, in one of the largest reported outbreaks of the virus on a US college campus.

The west-coast school last week instituted a blog to help provide information to students about the sudden and dramatic spread of the A(H1N1) virus on campus just days into the new school term.

"We estimate that we have been in contact with about 2,000 students with influenza-like illness in the first 10 days of our fall semester," the latest online posting said.

"At this time of year, we would typically only see a handful of patients with influenza-like illness. Health care providers in the local community have also seen WSU students with influenza-like illness, but we have no way of knowing how many.

"We also have no way of estimating how many students are self-caring at home without contacting us," school officials said.

They also said they had been asked by the county health department "to track numbers in this way to give us a better idea of how many students at WSU actually have influenza-like illness."

The university of about 19,000 students added that it is following guidelines issued by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in advising students how to avoid catching and spreading the virus.

WSU said it has begun handing out flu self-care kits to students.
"Two hundred of these kits have already been distributed with 1,000 more in process," university officials said, adding that none of the cases of swine flu so far has required hospitalization.

"The overwhelming majority of our patients have had mild symptoms and are usually better in three to five days," the university said.

None of the WSU cases have been fatal. There have been 593 swine flu-related deaths in the United States, however, second only to Brazil which has recorded 657 deaths.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Ok they have the symptoms of this flu and the school estimates they have been in contact with 2000 of its students. Which does not include health care providers outside the school systems and how many WSU students have been seen.

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AFP) – Some 2,000 students at Washington State University have reported symptoms of swine flu, university officials said, in one of the largest reported outbreaks of the virus on a US college campus.

The west-coast school last week instituted a blog to help provide information to students about the sudden and dramatic spread of the A(H1N1) virus on campus just days into the new school term.

"We estimate that we have been in contact with about 2,000 students with influenza-like illness in the first 10 days of our fall semester," the latest online posting said.

"At this time of year, we would typically only see a handful of patients with influenza-like illness. Health care providers in the local community have also seen WSU students with influenza-like illness, but we have no way of knowing how many.

"We also have no way of estimating how many students are self-caring at home without contacting us," school officials said.

They also said they had been asked by the county health department "to track numbers in this way to give us a better idea of how many students at WSU actually have influenza-like illness."

The university of about 19,000 students added that it is following guidelines issued by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in advising students how to avoid catching and spreading the virus.

WSU said it has begun handing out flu self-care kits to students.
"Two hundred of these kits have already been distributed with 1,000 more in process," university officials said, adding that none of the cases of swine flu so far has required hospitalization.

"The overwhelming majority of our patients have had mild symptoms and are usually better in three to five days," the university said.

None of the WSU cases have been fatal. There have been 593 swine flu-related deaths in the United States, however, second only to Brazil which has recorded 657 deaths.
Damn what up with the news media, earlier this spring there was less than a dozen deaths now thers 593? are they blowing this one out of proportion for the gov health care? or did 580 people die in the last 3 months from this flu?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
What's interesting is that every year in college people in the electrical/computer engineering dept would get butt-ass sick after summer break. If you ask some of the professors (not on the record) they are 100% convinced it's from all the international students that travel back to their homelands during summer recess, contract a virus/flu, and bring it back to the school.

Bottom line? It's the flu, you may get it & it may or may not be severe depending on your immune system. Stay healthy, & take care of yourself this fall/winter/spring. The media & pharma companies are loving this craze, they are both raking in the cash hand over fist on it. Plus MSNBC can swing the negative political opinions away from our government and on to your personal well being rather than our gov's mishaps.

I don't doubt it's severe but shit so is bronchitus (had it three times in college), and ironically I worked as a student in the electrical/computer engineering building where I went to school!

Plus, divide the TOTAL number of swine flu deaths by the number of regular flu strain deaths and tell me if this is any worse? Oh yeah, this years flu shot will be for last years strain, that's how it has always worked out. Statistically they make the decision that some cases will be prevented, and what's funny is those statistics are never public.

Military may be an exception to the latest/greatest vaccines and understandably so.

I think the media is loving the hype, so will the pharma companies making the 'vaccines'.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
What's interesting is that every year in college people in the electrical/computer engineering dept would get butt-ass sick after summer break. If you ask some of the professors (not on the record) they are 100% convinced it's from all the international students that travel back to their homelands during summer recess, contract a virus/flu, and bring it back to the school.

Bottom line? It's the flu, you may get it & it may or may not be severe depending on your immune system. Stay healthy, & take care of yourself this fall/winter/spring. The media & pharma companies are loving this craze, they are both raking in the cash hand over fist on it. Plus MSNBC can swing the negative political opinions away from our government and on to your personal well being rather than our gov's mishaps.
I don't doubt it's severe but shit so is bronchitus (had it three times in college), and ironically I worked as a student in the electrical/computer engineering building where I went to school!

Plus, divide the TOTAL number of swine flu deaths by the number of regular flu strain deaths and tell me if this is any worse? Oh yeah, this years flu shot will be for last years strain, that's how it has always worked out. Statistically they make the decision that some cases will be prevented, and what's funny is those statistics are never public.

Military may be an exception to the latest/greatest vaccines and understandably so.

I think the media is loving the hype, so will the pharma companies making the 'vaccines'.

funny you should mention this, I was talking to a friend in south africa today, Swine flu came up, she laughed and said you americans believe everything in the news. your president is comeing up with national health care of coarse its going to come up.
she said it wasnt as bad as its made out to be, africa is pretty much a 3rd world country but yet only 3 people died from it, and there deaths were attributed to other health issues NOt from the flu itself.

she said her docs told them its like every other flu, just a different strain.

Delw

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts