Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing control valve for front end loader on small tractor (20 HP). Should I use teflon tape on the hydraulic fittings?

Frank

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I wouldn't think so - I've always been taught that the tape is a no-no on hydraulic systems, and if you use anything at all on the threads to use the teflon paste (something to do with the oil degrading the tape, and it gets in the system and causes gremlins to show up).

On machinery around here they don't put anything on threaded hydraulic connections at all.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yes but only on the end that has the NPT treads. That's the end of the fitting that holds
the fitting in the control valve. Never on a JIC fitting or tapered seat / flaired ends or couplers.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, zxc. It's education time (for me).

The four bucket control hoses thread into fittings which in turn thread into the top of the valve. Teflon on the hose ends and on the fittings, I take it

The main hydraulic input and output hoses connect via quick connect coupler to fittings ("Male O-Ring Boss to Female Pipe Swivel (NPSM - 30º Cone Seat) (90º) Thread Adapter") which thread into the side on the controller. The fittings have an o-ring and a jam nut, so I'm thinking no teflon here.

Am I close (LOL!!!)?

Thanks again,

Frank

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Definitely no teflon on the O-ring fittings, It'll make them leak like a sieve. Anything with a swivel/jam nut shouldn't use tape at all.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
On the low pressure fittings its fine, those are the returns and the suctions. Do not use it on the high pressure side, it won't work and I know of no high pressure fitting that it even could work on.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yep a little tape goes a long way no more than two raps.I tape away because I'm right handed. The tape always goes in the direction opposite of tight.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Yep a little tape goes a long way no more than two raps.I tape away because I'm right handed. The tape always goes in the direction opposite of tight.
Sounds like you may be backwards.T-tape goes on clockwise or righty tighty,unless of course you are dealing with a reverse thread.Btw,I too am right handed but I can put tape on with my left hand also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts