Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day 1) Young kid from Utah w/ Daddy's Ranger 522 w/ 250 Merc barrels into my boat at no-wake buoys of marina. Funny thing is he zipped that day! He repeatedly told me that, "You stopped in front of me and I could not stop!". I explained in rather harsh terms that boats do not have brakes and that 5 inches to the left and I would have been de-brained. Lucky for me a certain co-angler named Rod Cook from our vicinity elbowed him at the last second. Thank you Rod, I do not want to think what might have been. I sustained some boat damage, some major, some minor, but I LIVED to fish a second day.

Day 2) This day is a little smoother as far as buffoonery goes until I put my boat on the trailer. As I was attaching the transom saver, I noticed some rather smelly chocolate milk coming from a weep-hole above my lower unit. Knowing full well what this means (lower unit full of water), I explained to the world my disappointment. The good news was I lived to fish another day. The bad news was that the on-duty boat crew from Southwest Marine sell Evinrude now, and have very few Merc parts. Luckily for me, the coolest person in the world saved my day. Tom Kilduff let me use his boat for the Top 20. Tom, I forever owe you one...

Day 3) As I wearily tried to start my truck in the morning, I have my next challenge. Trucko no starto. Seems my sweet and sour week continues. Flat spot on the solenoid. After some finnagling it starts. What does this mean? Lots of idling. I did not want to stop the vehicle and then risk it not starting again.

Day 3 continued) As I await the start of the tourney, I put the Minn Kota in the water and marvel at the speed of motor. I let up on it and it almost hits me in the face as it rises and falls shut. I then say, "Hmmm...weird". The tourney starts...boat 1, I pulled up on the release cord, boat 2, I pulled harder, boat 3, I tugged with all my strength....as I rushed to the dock frantically, I noticed that the safety strap was lodged neatly into where the trolling motor met mount. Not knowing where Tom kept tools I shouted at tourney officials for a screw driver. Well, let's just say I made it out on time as boat 12.

Day 3 finalized) I just was not on my game this day. Call it stress or fatigue or just plain bad luck, I dropped my second fish of the tourney right at the boat. The first fish that I dropped (during day one) was when I declared, "That one is gonna hurt me". That proved to be untrue. The second fish was a mortal wound from which I did not recover. I missed the cut by 10 ounces. You can not miss fish and do well in tourneys. It is a well proven fact...

What does this all mean? I do not know, It only happened yesterday. I do know one thing. This has been the greatest 2 week period of my extensive fishing career. Winning back to back tourneys at Bartlett, then bettering 162 (minus 10) of the best fisherpeople (in the near vicinity) at Pleasant, has netted me a cool +/- $8000. Yes, I know, you all want to be my friends now. JUST KIDDING! But the sad truth is...this sport is not about making money. I guarantee that I have spent that much or more in the past year alone on expenses and transgressions. I am hot right now but that can turn south in a second. This sport is about sanity. I know as well as the next person that it is probably easier to make your mark in the NBA. Bass fishing is not lucrative but it is easy on the mental state. Right? Right...

Details) EVERYONE drop-shotted. Pick a worm color that suits your confidence. Dead stick it behind the boat, cover water, and hope for the best. If anyone tells you different, they are lying. I talked to and witnessed everyone from Art "Del's buddy" Berry to Mike Folkstead doing the same.

p.s. Why did I get up at 5 frickin o'clock AGAIN to write this? I wanted to make the top ten I guess. A week on the water and 11th place was not enough...

p.s.s. Thanks again Del for the boat loan offer. You are too cool for school...

p.s.s.s. This is a good lesson for all. All that time on the water, and all the info my father instilled in me is finally paying off. In a rather big way...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey, still a great job dreamer. That sounded like some scary shit getting run down, glad your ok. I'll see you at Bartlett, Brad

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
Incredible run of bad luck Dreamer! Seems the black cloud over your head extended south to Del's house. Did you know that after Del offered his boat he found his trailer had two flat tires on it??

Congratulations on a great 2 weeks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yer damn right bout yer daddy

I used to spend HOURS pickin his mind when he was down at yamamotos. Seriously think the WORLD of that old bastard..and you are ok yerself Tom...I got the best dreamer story ever that nobody on this board has read and I promise to post when I get back from vegas monday night...

Everstart SUCKED for me. My 2nd day amateur had never really dropshotted before. He was using 10lb test line and a big ass bell sinker tied to the line. A old mister twister worm on like a 2/0 hook. ALL he did was wack a limit out of the back of my boat while I only managed ONE FISH. It is one thing to get the french fry and not be on them BUT to have your co-angler wack em kinda lets you know that you must really suck at dropshotting. Oh well, the best thing to have as a fisherman is a short memory and I have forgotten it already. Sadder part is that he blanked yesterday.

oh yeah, I have been reading this site for like 6 or 7 months now and this is my 1st post. You guys are funny but I usually dont have a ton to add to what is being said so I just read a bunch and post like NEVER.

see yawl out on the water
job yob young master loughran.

MT (the rather good lookin dark tanned one in the basscat)

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Dreamer, thanks for your post...kinda a behind-the-scenes look at the life of a tournament competitor. It seems when it rains, it pours and it is hard to predict. Hopefully better days are ahead for you.

I fished as a non-boater in a now-defunct ABF (American Bass Fisherman) tournament 30 years ago in St. John's river system in Florida. This ABF was an east-coast organization. I did not own a bassboat back then. First day I got paired with a boater whose engine's powerhead blew the day before and we spent the first hour of the tourney trying to borrow a boat. Finally found a boat (a 15 foot bass boat with a 150 hp Merc) that was almost airborne as we raced up the twists and turns of the St. John's River. My partner threw up (barfed) each time we stopped to fish as he had some kind of inner ear problem. First stop, he discovered the trolling motor was broken. Back to the ramp and the owner had another trolling motor for us to use. The new trolling motor was installed, we raced 25 miles upriver and fished for a couple of hours until the trolling motor battery went dead. So we drifted with the wind and fished for awhile, cranking up the big motor to reposition us. When it was time to move to another spot, the engine battery went dead and would not turn over the engine. There was a rope on board, so my partner pull started the engine and we raced back down stream. About half-way, the engine died for good and we had to be towed in for about 10 miles. We had one little fish in the boat. The boat owner admitted he hadn't used his boat in several months and hadn't thought of the condition it was in when he lent it to us. Some days when it rains, it pours. 8)

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Dreamer,

you did an outstanding job. making it to the third day out of 160+ boats is a great accomplishment.
Not to mention the last few tournys you fished you clobbered most.

seems pleasant spanked alot of people on the third day.

Delw

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hey I got to thinking(ya I know) if you keep this up you'll have to change your handle from Dreamer to Doer or something like that. Anyway great job Congrats again. Brad

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Wow Dreamer! Awesome job considering the tribulation. I don't know how you held your composure with the Utah kid! I hope his dad has good insurance. You've obviously learned alot from this tourney and I'm sure next time you'll kick @ss!

That was an awesome story with a good ending. Hang in there and keep winning! It sounds like you are on a roll no matter what obstacle comes your way!

Tight Lines,

John

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Dreamer SUPER JOB Better then that excellent attitued. Yes Bass fishing is more then money and you did learn well from your Dad Sounds like you are a lot like him. I always enjoyed talking to him about fishing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These are things

You are quite welcome for the "assistance". It was the least I could do since my boater almost killed you. I was very pleased to see you made the top-twenty after your your near death experience. You showed alot of class and restraint, and I for one appreciated it. As you said, it could have been worse and if you had reacted to the situation, you may have been dq'd. Congrats Tom, see you at the next tmx. Rod

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.