Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an 1990 18 foot bass boat with a 150hp. I have been considering moving up to a 20 footer with a 200hp or 225hp for a while now. Went to the boat show and looked at them all, except Triton, got side tracked and then it was to late to look at them. I really liked the Champions, but too much $$$. Next was the Nitro 898, with a Merc 225 OptiMax. It had great storage space, nice size deck, and priced close to $30k (my price range). Does anyone have this boat, or know anyone with one? Do any of you guys have any other suggestions of boats to look at in this price range? Any help or suggestions from you more experience boat owners would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. The one draw back to the Nitro 898 that I saw, was I saw a salesperson standing next to one of the 9 series boats with the last name Randall... Is this really a big problem if the boat is coming from the manufacturer (I would choose a custom paint job)?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Things to consider:

1. Reputation of boat manufacturer?
2. Can it be serviced locally?
3. What is the local dealer/service departments reputation?
4. If I have to sell this boat in a year what will it be worth?

I personally would steer clear of Nitro based on resale and servicability. I would suggest finding a 1-2 year old Champion, Ranger, or Skeeter for the same $ and feel great about my purchase. Most late model boats have transferrable warranties as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nitro

im with dave h, i have a nitro 884 ,good hull design, good merc 175
but thats it,there is no good service, at least in az and the manufactorer will not back you up. try ranger,champion or skeeter. good luck on your new boat OBD

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Ask Rippinlips about the transon on his former boat which was a 1998 17 foot Nitro which he just traded in on a brand new 18'7" Champion. You can go to the member list, find Rippinlips, and send him a private message (PM). I bought a 4 year old 1999 20'6" Ranger with a 225 Merc Optimax and it's been a great boat. I agree with Dave H. about what to consider on buying a bass boat. 8)

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
If you plan on buying from a dealer just make sure you fairly sample customers that have experienced the different dealers for opinions. After the sale service is vital. I've heard a lot of negatives regarding the local Nitro dealer and a lot of positives from Complete Marine and Tempe Marine. IF you buy new you ought to be able to get extended motor warranties right now, too...that can be a huge piece of mind!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Nitro makes a good looking boat but there's no quality. The Nitro I just sold had a defective hull that resulted in a broken transom. A fiberglass guy said it had to have been taking in water from day 1 for it to be as rotted out as it was. Tracker Marine in Springfield, at least till now, isn't compensating me for the big hit I took on it. It was also a lemon the first few years I had it. Starting and electrical problems. I had an extended warrantee but finally got Ken from Holiday Mobile Marine to work on it, and he was able to get it running and starting. Mine was in the shop 12 times the first year I had it.
A friend of mine bought a Nitro F/S and it kept taking in water. It took forever, and it got ugly, but he finally ended up with a new hull.
Ken, how many tens of times was your boat in for service for cooling problems before the engine blew?
Joe, where's your boat sitting right now?
Then there's the guy I met on Saguaro that bought a new 882(?), and when he went to pick it up, they had put a smaller motor on it. When he said it was supposed to come with a 150 and not a 115, Tracker Marine said that would cost extra.
Stick with Ranger, Triton, or Champion. I keep hearing Skeeter but I haven't ridden in a newer one. Forking out a couple thousand more up front may save you several thousand later, and you'll have your boat available for use more often.
JMHO

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rippinlips. Haven't ridden in a new Skeeter. We must get together, I will let you take the wheel of my TZX. Rich

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
One ? is tracker marine the only dealer in town that sells nitro.
Rippinlips if you are asking me ( Joe C) my boat is sitting in the garage with none of the service done to this day. Its been 5 1/2 mths since i took my boat in for work. I'm supposed to take it down there this sat to have the work done. I have no choice to were i can take it. To the guest who posted be very careful when dealing with tracker marine. I'm not going there. Ask other people. You will get the idea.

Joe C

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You might try Sunland. I know they have a consinment 519 dvx with a 225 opti max on it It's is owned by David Fanaro and is in your price range has lots of extras on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks

for all of the replys and opinions on Nitros... The more I hear, the more I an tending to stay clear of the brand. I am moving up in size and what I hope will be reliability... I have had down time with this boat and engine, mainly because of age, my goal is to have a rig that I drop in the water, turn the key, and go. I fish twice a week, so if the boat is in the shop for a week or two, it seems like forever to me.

Sir Donut Man... You mentionede you had a TZX. At the boat show, Mark Kile was telling me I should look at the TZX with a Yahmaha engine. How has yours done? They did not have one at the shoe, so i need to get over to Tempe Marine to take a look at one. He thought that a 20 foot with a 200hp was around $30k... this sound right?

Again, thanks everyone... What a great group we all belong to! The diehard Bass Fisherman of Arizona!!! Looking out for each other and helping one an other.

·
Registered
913 Posts
As stated by the others, look at the TRITON, Ranger, Champ and Skeeter. Good dealer service. Be careful of not maxing out the power, I don't know what that Skeeter is rated for, but if it is 225 than go for that. If you are not hung up on brand new, you can get some mega deals on used boats 1 or 2 years old. Usually getting alot more extras for less money. I have a 02 TR-20 w/225 Opti, if you are interested in a test run let me know and maybe we can coordinate something.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are interested in a Ranger let me know I can give you a test ride in a 01 - 520 with a 225 opti max. I do know that sunland has a couple new rangers with opti maxs in your price range Talk to Pam if you are interested. 602 944-2623

·
Registered
114 Posts
Guest,

The TZX200 is a 19' that retails around 31K. The ZX Perfonmance series is where the 20' boats live and they are a little more pricy. I've been researching a lot lately cause I've been interested in getting a new rig for a while now. I'm thinking real hard about either the Skeeter SX200 or a Ranger 195VX. Decisions, decisions....

-Dave King :?:

·
Premium Member
34,659 Posts
If you want speed definatly go with the skeeter, its one fast boat.

it doesnt take waves as nice as a ranger. Ive road in both and the ranger by far out rides the TZX.

That 19footer that sir dounut man has is pretty quick with a 150hp on it, alot quicker and faster than I would have guessed.

Something else to conisider when buying a boat is where you will use it.
If you plan on fishing tounrys and on other waters than central AZ. then the 19foot skeeter would be fine for mead mojave and havasue I would go for either a bigger boat or the ranger even champion, due to most other lakes are alot bigger that our lakes. I wouldnt take richs skeeter to mead or mojave Well I would but I am nuts anyway and dont mind getting airborn. You will also want a motor that gives good gas mileage. make sure you get a big gas tank also if your going to the other lakes. I got 60-70 gals in my cajun and I know a few champions came with big tanks also.

most importantly buy what you can afford and something you will be happy with. test drive a few different boats if you can you will definatly notice a difference in the way they handle

Delw

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.