Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Buddaha baits and i did it again, over 70 LMB in 7 hours of fishin. Fished Bartlett Flats north west to the no wake zone. sankos did best thrown on shore and light colors, then at sunset time for topwater. at dark, Texas rigged worms and dropshot in Dark colors. These fish are so agressive that they are hitting like bluegill on steroids. Caught about half and half, Half rats and half 1# up to 3.5#. Best thing of all Saw only 2 boats all night and 1 was anchored and the other was putting off the lake. Even heard the mountain lion Screamin at her cubs. Goooooood Times.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably was, you just sort if putted out when you left. best day on the water i ever had was at Alamo bout 8 years ago. Caught 79 LM on top water. Bartlett is reminding me of alamo from years ago. They are tearing the shad up now , running them up on shore.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Boatcop

How has the wind been up there in the morning?Also I saw a post you put up to JasonR about the flats. Is it truely only about a hundred yards wide up there?I am thinking of going up Sun am with my kickboat.

Thanks

SteveM

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Great job, John. My 70 fish day, too, was at Alamo in '99. I'm glad to hear such a promising story from one of our fisheries.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where the buoys cross it is about 100 yards and some places from the flats to the buoys a little more than 100 yards. there is hardly any wind at all in the am. if you have a 4x4 you can almost drive to the no wake buoys. if you are adventurous, you can take indian springs road to the no wake buoys. i drive it all the time in my work 4x4. you do not need anything special just a 4x4 in case you get into some sand.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Thanks Boatcop. Don't think I will venture up that far. I only have a 2WD and wouldn't want to chance getting stuck.

SteveM

G

·
Upper bartlett lake

Boat cop,you perked my interest on the upper area of bartlett from indian springs. I fish bartlett all the time for crappie. I want to get into black beach way up lake to set up for those pesky migrant birds that fly in later this fall and winter?? I have tried to get to the upper end of bartlett from indian springs and all the roads seem bad even for 4x4. Is there a way to contact you to get instructions on the best way into the upper end of bartlett from indian springs there are numerous roads that head off south from it and they all seem bad???==thx :?:

G

·
hook size

Hey Boat Cop,

When you were throwing those senkos at bartlett on 9/11, what hook size were you using with them? I threw 4 inch senkos on 1/0 wide gap hooks and started wondering if that hook size was too big after a ton of hits but only a few hook sets. Maybe they were bluegill but then again maybe the hook is too big ? Appreciate any feedback.

serpico

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Serpico, the same thing was happening to me this past weekend on Saguaro. I was also thinking they could have maybe been blue-gil. At one point I think I had missed almost ten fish in a row. I was doing well with 3/0 extra wide gap hooks but ran out so I had to go down to 2/0 and really struggled after that. Josh

G

·
hook size

Josh,

Maybe you're right, a bigger hook would have worked better. The wider the gap, the easier for the fish to get on the hook. Come to think of it, I was using 2/0 wide gap hooks but I think your point is valid. A wider gap hook would make it easier.

serpico

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2/0 round bend offset hooks with the hook exposed on the top. the rats would short strike it yet the bigger ones would hammer it. when i started to worm at dark, on my first cast i had a hit that made me say to my partner that we were gonna get messed with by the bluegill. it hads the telltale bluegill rapid fire constant hit. i finally said the hell with it and set the wood. It was a 2# bass. we figured out that as soon as you felt the hit put the wood to them. they were not moveing, the rapid fire hits we were feeling were the bass trying to crush the worms.if you waited too long they would spit it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts