Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WELL IT'S THAT TIME! TIME TO INVEST IN A NEW ROD, WITH SO MANY CHOICES OUT THERE I KNOW EVERYONES GOT THERE PERSONAL PREFERENCE, BUT IF YOU HAD $200.OO BUCK'S OR SO TO SPEND WHAT ROD MAKER WOULD YOU SELECT, I KINDA HAVE NARROWED IT DOWN TO A HAND FULL, I HAVE BEEN TAKING A SERIOUS LOOK AT THE KISTLER HELIUM SERIES RODS AND THE G-LOOMIS,FENWICKS, AND LAMIGLAS, I PERSONALLY PREFER A ROD THAT IS LIGHTWEIGHT AND COMFORTABLE FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THATS WHY I HAVE TAKEN A HARD LOOK AT KISTLER'S HELIUM'S, THANK'S GUY'S ANY INPUT WILL BE APPRECIATEDhttp://www.tackletour.com/reviewkistlerlta.shtm
  • "THERE HE IS" :lol:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Don't buy withouth looking at a St. Croix Avid (aronud $170.00). Good luck and let us know what you bought and how you like it! :)

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
My suggestion is the Team Daiwa light and tough series (About 120 bucks)...they look cool and are light and tough. Hmmm, I wonder why they named them that? :lol:
Jason

G

·
I have g-loomis ,all star baitcasters,but i can't help going back to my 'ol Berkley Lightning rod,you can 3-4 of those for $200.Now if you were talking a dropshot rod,that would be a different story.I spend $100-300 on a dropshot rod."But hey,what do I know"!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
go ahead

O.K. this is my 2 cents and most of you will probally say thats all its worth. I am a die hard fan of Ugly Sticks. I have used many high dollar rods and for the money I will stick with them. When I salmon fish in Michigan I have seen many high dollar rods broken and destroyed along with reels burned out. My ugly sticks have never let me down, and my penn reels and just about bullet proof. Just my opinion. So let me have it now lol.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Hey JR
Take a look at fenwick HMX series I just bought 2 of them & I think there great. They are light with great senceitivty I can fish them all day. They have enough back bone also. I like them so much I'm going to sell my shimano compre rods 2- 7' MH baitcasters 70.00$ apice. So I can get a HMX spinning rod.
Plus you can get HMX rods at fishermans choice for about 100.00
each So you could get two :D :D
Just my 2 cents

Joe C

·
Registered
174 Posts
Rod

I have to go with the St. Croix avid series. I strongly suggest you pick one up before you buy another brand.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I would recommend that you contact Don Morgan of Tonto Flats (Roosevelt Lake). He's a great guy and has been around for a long time. I have tried two of his rods, and have been very happy with the results. He uses St. Croix blanks and will build you a rod to whatever your individual specifications and preferences are, and he charges about $130 per. His number is (928) 479-3239.

Tater

·
Registered
417 Posts
Rods

I like the Bass Pro Rods...I have two or three Extreme series rods and I use those as much or more than the Loomis blank rods I own. Much more friendly to your wallet to purchase also...

G

·
I would also have to go with the St Croix Avid rods. I have 3 of them and they have been awesome. Ultra sensitive and very well balanced.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
What kind of rod are you looking for, dropshot ,topwater, wormin , jiggin , crankbaitin or carolina riggin ??????????????????????

·
Registered
506 Posts
Ditto

Ditto what Boat Cop said! I do heavily suggest the St Coix Avid series. Sensitive as the IMX series Loomis but $70 cheaper. They also have great customer service. I broke a rod tip trying to retrieve a snagged crank, explained it to St Croix and they sent me a new rod for free. Worth checking out!

G

·
Now you should be totally confused, all of the rods mentioned are pretty good rods, suggest you go down to the local store or sportsmen wharehouse and try a few of these in your hands with the reel you will be using. What may feel good to one person may not feel comfortable to you. I use St Croix, g-loomis, phenix, allstar, and castaway, all designed for a specific style of fishing and I like them all.

I did hear that Mark Kile's store in tonto basin had some 6.6 allstar m/h for $50.00 each. The word skeeter is on them a promo, but for $50.00 who cares. Don't know if there is any left but if you are looking for a m/h, it might be worth checking out.

2Dogs

·
Captain McSh*tty
9,811 Posts
I think the best way is take your reel to the store and put it on a few different rods. If they let you, that is....
jason

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
THANKS

THANK'S ALOT GUY'S FOR THE GREAT RESPONSE, I WILL BE CHECKING INTO ALL OF THE ABOVE SUGGESTIONS, HEY BOAT COP IT IS A BAITCASTER THAT I AM AFTER, I HAVE A 15 FT ALUMINUN BOAT WHICH I SHARE WITH 2 OTHER GUYS SO MY NEW ROD IS PRETTY MUCH GOING TO HAVE TO SERVE AS A MULTI PURPOSE ROD! FROM TOP TO BOTTOM AND IN BETWEEN FOR NOW ATLEAST, I AM CURRENTLY USING FEWICK'S VENTURE SERIES RODS THAT I PICKED UP AT WALLY, FOR AROUND 50 BUCKS, I REALLY LIKE THE WAY THEY FEEL AND THERE LIGHT, BUT I KNOW WITH A BETTER ROD I WILL GET MORE SENSITIVITY, THAN THESE ROD'S HAVE. THE 6'6 MED ACTION THAT IM USING RIGHT NOW HAS SERVED AS A GREAT MULTI ROD, THANK'S AGAIN GUY'S :lol:
  • "SEE YOU ON THE WATER"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts