Arizona Fishing Forums on AZBZ banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to get a decent off-road tire for my F-150. The tires I have now are the BF Goodrich Rugged Trail, and they’re JUNK!

The tires I've been looking at are the BF Goodrich A/T or AT/KO and the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. The size I am looking for is the 265/70/18 and I have no problem buying used. Also maybe you can suggest something better? I would like to keep my costs around 1000.00, and yes I know this might be hard to do with the tires I’ve been looking at.

Do any of you know anyone that sells tires (new or used) that you could refer me to? PM's are welcome.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I have 31" BFG All Terrains (A/Ts) on my Xterra.My setup is close to what you are lookin for. I got them at discount tire and I paid around $110 per tire new.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 31" BFG All Terrains (A/Ts) on my Xterra.My setup is close to what you are lookin for. I got them at discount tire and I paid around $110 per tire new.
When was this? The BFG All Terrains are 290.00 at discount for the size I need. Your got those for a steal! What size are your tires?

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Maybe they went way up but the last TAKO set I bought at Discount for my F250 were around $180 per tire. I did not get over 25000 miles on the last 2 sets so I switched to the Yokohama Geolanders. They are wearing down about as fast. Might be my driving.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
$1000?????? I to have had various AT's and I never spent $1k. I've always went to discount tire. I had a friend who was a manager there for a while, and it is a good organization. The owner still visits every store once a year. Honesty and integrity are the business model for that organization (or at least it was when my buddy worked there). I'm sure with as much business as they do there have been some dissatisfied customers but that happens anywhere. JMHO

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$1000?????? I to have had various AT's and I never spent $1k. I've always went to discount tire. I had a friend who was a manager there for a while, and it is a good organization. The owner still visits every store once a year. Honesty and integrity are the business model for that organization (or at least it was when my buddy worked there). I'm sure with as much business as they do there have been some dissatisfied customers but that happens anywhere. JMHO
The problem is my tire size seems quite hard to come by. Different sizes are different prices. Even with new Rugged Trail BFG tires I am still looking at about 950.00 installed. The problem I am running into is anything meant for a 18" wheel seems to jump in price.

So far Discount is the cheapest for 265/70/18 for the Goodyear Wrangler SA tires and that's 988.00 after taxes. I was hoping someone could direct me to a place that is cheaper.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe they went way up but the last TAKO set I bought at Discount for my F250 were around $180 per tire. I did not get over 25000 miles on the last 2 sets so I switched to the Yokohama Geolanders. They are wearing down about as fast. Might be my driving.
Ringer-

Thanks for the info on the BFG TAKOs. Wanted to mention that I had the Geolander A/T on my old 01 F-150 and they wore down fairly quickly. There was a lot of uneven treadware and it was not a result of needing an alignment. This was back in 2006? I didn't do my research on those tires prior and I guess a lot people complained about them. Not sure if the new Geolanders are any better or not.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Not sure how you feel about Sam's Club, but I bought a set of BFG tires there for my van and was seriously looking there when I bought michelins for my truck. They have Goodyear Wrangler SR-A in your size $152.12ea. By my calculation thats ~$710 installed. Also, when I bought the set for my truck, the Discount by me matched the Costco price. Tires say special order, but if you call the warehouse, they can tell you what they have in stock.
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=12151

SteveM

·
Registered
67 Posts
The BFG All Terrain TA/KO's would be your best bet if your willing to spend the money. If your looking for a little less exspensive tire you might look at the Nitto All Terrains. I have the Nittos on my truck now and I'm very happy with them. Definatly go with Discount Tire

·
Registered
676 Posts
to bad you just missed pro comps sale i just put a set of 33 12.50 17 on my dodge for 600 bucks sale ends today though i get tires wholesale but no road hazzard

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
When was this? The BFG All Terrains are 290.00 at discount for the size I need. Your got those for a steal! What size are your tires?
Dave, I picked them up about three years ago. I have 18" standard rims on my Xterra. I have never paid more than $110 per tire for BFG ATs. I only buy tires from Discount tire, it's the only place I'll go. If they are pricier now that will suck.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Dave look at the Pathfinder tire. I wish they made a 10ply so that I could get away from BFG myself @ 383 bucks a tire

P.S. Nittos are shitty! 1- 5 tires will seperate! Dont take a chance JMHO

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dave look at the Pathfinder tire. I wish they made a 10ply so that I could get away from BFG myself @ 383 bucks a tire

P.S. Nittos are shitty! 1- 5 tires will seperate! Dont take a chance JMHO
Thanks for the response. Those Goodyear MTR's seem like a good tire (thanks Gonzo) have not checked out the pathfinder tires - I'll look into them. THe Goodyear MTR's are a 10ply but pricey. Might go with those if I can find them for an 18" rim.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Pathfinder used to be made by goodyear?, I had them on a couple of my trucks and they were great, last time I tried to buy them discount and other tire stores were having trouble getting them in truck sizes so I went with Yamamoto something like that?? and they were ok

I had stock goodyear wrangler ATS tires on this truck new from chevy and figured I would get the usual 25,000 miles if lucky like with the stock firestone/bridgestones they often come with??? just replaced all 4 getting close on wear, 48,000 miles on them, one tore this weekend up north hunting in the sidewall (that rock would of torn a 8-10 ply) and discount did road hazard on that tire because there was still enough tread left, so needless to say, going off road,dirt road etc, and good sidewall strength when corning coming down the hills from rosy with the boat pushing me been real happy with these tires, got my monies worth out of them, having had unexpected good luck with these tires I went and bought the same exact tires again.

·
Registered
151 Posts
There is a pretty small tire shop that sells used tires on Apache Trail. Their prices are decent and they'll take your old tires and give you a few bucks for them. I think I paid like 400 for fairly new BFG AT's when I traded in my older tires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts